Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine (1895)

by H. G. Wells

9,695192298 (3.7)543
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rocannon's world by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)

English (186)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (192)
The Time Traveler looks you in the eye and tells you a fantastical tale of the future. And why shouldn't time travel be possible, the book proposes, if it is just another dimension? We listen to his story of another world where mankind has evolved or perhaps devolved, we see his future. Or is it our future?

I haven't read anything by H.G. Wells until now, even though I profess to love science fiction. And I'm glad I finally read this - not because I particularly love the story, but for the way I can see how it has influenced recent books I love. I can see why it is classic, almost timeless, in the way it uses thoughts on human nature and the potential of human progress in this story.

I appreciate how it doesn't try to utilize science to make time travel plausible, but rather takes it on literary faith using two mysterious levers and the time travel machine.

The plot is fairly straight-forward, the discovery and slow reveal of the new world and the Time Traveler's hypothesis on how things came to be.It was straight-forward, but interesting. Not exactly engaging because I found myself putting it down intermittently, but definitely interesting. Thought-provoking.

It's not a difficult read. And the themes are now common in tv shows and other scifi books. But still... this book is worth reading, or at least worth a skim.

2.5 stars because it was good, but not great. It was interesting and thought-provoking, but not mind-blowing. It's just another perspective into how science fiction has been influenced.
Recommended for people who like science fiction and wonder where the thoughts of time travel came about. If you liked a Wrinkle in Time and you've grown up a bit, you'll want to read this. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I rather enjoyed this book, such breadth of feeling and scenery in a pretty short book. I really enjoyed the scenes if the time travelers own introspection about what would cause this stratification of races. While I don't truly think this would happen it has an odd ring about it that while doesn't seem to be inherently truthful is such a good continuing metaphor for the class struggles of today that it resonates. It also comes back again and again to the reason we, as a race, have such a drive to do and make and I don't think it's far off to say it is a fear of survival. In a world where everything is perfect(albeit with morlocks) I can see his slothfulness would rule and it does make me happier to go about my daily trials and tribulations with that thought in the back of my mind. Overall, the commentary on the upper class subjugating the lower class down and the eventual reprisal seems very poignant. And, if I may, focus on one plot element that really intrigued me: the fact that the morlocks still help the eloi. I like the idea that the morlocks were too cunning by half that if they wee to make the eloi fend for themselves, they would grow strong again. What I don't like as much but what I think is a much more powerful message is how deeply ingrained the morlock's servility is, that this has been ingrained in them. The same method that gave them these powers/how much they changed meant they still had to slave away for eloi, an interesting though to me that I don't think I fleshed out well in this review. Finally, the idea that there is still a museum with present day or past world's artifacts seemed odd to me. It seemed to be pure hubris that wells could not imagine a world where his time did not leave a mark. ( )
  Lorem | Aug 23, 2014 |
It's a pretty weird story basically expressing commentary on class warfare or something. I'm not sure I agree with the message, but it makes you think. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Aug 10, 2014 |
So, what sort of story is The Time Machine. It's most often called a Science Fiction story. That's generally where it's kept in the library as well (unless it's in the Classics section, or the library interfiles everything and it's just in Fiction). But I Think that calling it just a Science Fiction novel is way too limiting for what's actually a grand novella.

The plot is that there is a 'Time Traveler' who has a group of other men that sit and talk together once a week, probably on the grand themes of the time, which I guess they did back then. So, one week the Time Traveler tells the group that he's built a Time Machine. The next (and this takes up most of the novel) thing he does is tell them the story of his adventure 800,000 years plus in the future.

That's all very Sci Fi, what isn't is that in the future there's a bit of a romance subplot, as well as a whole ton and a half of philosophical ideas and conversation in it as well.

It did take me a bit of reading before I got used to the cadence of the story, got used to HG's voice, but then that faded into the background and the story came alive like only a few authors these days can do.

All in all I would call the piece of classic literature worthy of the title 'Classic' and much, much, more than just a great Sci Fi story, but an amazing story period. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 22, 2014 |

Mugnaini, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliva , RenatoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Priestley, J. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raffin, DeborahExecutive producer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverman, KarenProduction managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viner, MichaelExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.
When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,703,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible