The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine (1895)

by H. G. Wells

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    The Wine of Violence by James Morrow (themulhern)
    themulhern: The two books have great similarities and remarkable differences.
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
1890s (8)
. (5)

English (252)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (263)

Regina Spektor was on NPR today speaking with Terry Gross. The NPR interviewer accomplished no favors. She asked woefully stupid questions about the Soviet Union and its relationship to WWII. this originated when Spektor noted that growing up in the USSR she always felt that the Great Patriotic War had happened recently, given its absorption into the collective consciousness. Emigrating to the Bronx, she was struck that such wasn't a universal condition. Such made me think of The Time Machine.

As with most archetypes of speculative fiction, the premise had been closeted in my brainpan before opening the book, yet, this one succeeded, especially as a treatise on species within or over time. I'm curious what Spengler thought of this? ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This is a novella about a time-traveller who firstly embarks to about 8270 AD (?) to the world of flesh eating Morlocks and peace-loving Eloi. I liked this book much better than The War of the Worlds as I think it has withstood the test of time a little better. I loved the vocabulary of Wells, much larger than today's writers and I even had to look up a few words to add to my word journal. Sci-fi is really not my genre at all (I usually despise it), but due to the writing and the short length of this book, it kept by rapt attention and I read it in one sitting. 88 pages ( )
1 vote tess_schoolmarm | Feb 20, 2019 |
First of all, I love the idea of a quartz-powered time machine.

I'd never read a complete work by Wells before this, and I was pleasantly surprised. It has all of the hallmarks of a work from the Victorian era, but it still has the feeling of fresh invention despite all of the adaptions of the story and the general advancements of the genre. The only true-contemporary work to it I've read would be Bellamy's thought-piece Looking Backward. Class difference, namely the relationship of the workers towards the leisure class, lie at the heart of both of them, but Wells doesn't dwell long on harmonious possibilities. The worlds could be compatible, Bellamy's sedentary, placid society might easily in a few millennia degrade into the Eloi.

The writing was much more brisk than I expected. There were some digressions, but the Traveler was all about business. Poor Weena. I wanted there to be more to the novel, more adventures and some more explanation, some resolution of when he ended up going, but that's only because I'm silly, what Wells provides is a rich enough foundation for science fiction. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Una novela corta, con una escritura bien definida y sin adornos. La lectura de los pensamientos del protagonista dejan comprender sus motivos y pareceres. Todo el relato tiene una moral y estética muy victoriana. ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
Did you know this novel was published in 1895? And that HG Wells coined the term "time machine"? These are your fun facts for today. You are welcome.

This book is about a Time Traveler (who is never named in the book) who built a time machine. He travels to the year 800,000 and stays for 80 days there before returning to the 1800s to tell his tale. The book is mostly the Time Traveler telling his friends of his experiences with the people in the distant future (who are named the Murlocks (undergrounders who only come out at night and are dangerous) and the Eloi (overlanders who are out during the day and are child like). He falls for a girl named Weena who he plans to have return with him to the 1800s, but it was not to be.

The reason he spends so much time in the distant future is because the Murlocks have hidden his time machine and he needs to figure out how to get it back. Once he does, he actually goes forward in time - curious to see what happens to the earth millions of years into the future. Once he travels to the end of time, he reverses his course and goes home.

Do his friends believe him? Does he stay in the past? Does he prove his travels? You will have to read to find out.

I did enjoy this book. I found the part of him going to the end of time especially gripping. Wondering always, as we are, what it will be like when the earth is no more. HG Wells theories are not far from what science believes today. The air is thin, the earth is quiet, and life is basically non-existent. No reason to stay.

This book is really (really) short. I have a small copy and it was 120 pages. If you get a typical sized book (like the one they sell on Amazon) it is only 58 pages. A quick, yet enjoyable, read.

IF you have not read this classic, you should. And then try one of "The Time Machine movies" (the one I saw was only a little like the book.)

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Without question The Time Machine is the best piece of writing. It will take its place among the great stories of our language. Like all excellent works it has meanings within its meaning and no one who has read the story will forget the dramatic effect of the change of scene in the middle of the book, when the story alters its key, and the Time Traveller reveals the foundation of slime and horror on which the pretty life of his Arcadians is precariously and fearfully resting...

The Arcadians had become as pretty as flowers in their pursuit of personal happiness. They had dwindled and would be devoured because of that. Their happiness itself was haunted. Here Wells’s images of horror are curious. The slimy, the viscous, the foetal reappear; one sees the sticky, shapeless messes of pond life, preposterous in instinct and frighteningly without mind. One would like to hear a psychologist on these shapes which recall certain surrealist paintings; but perhaps the biologist fishing among the algas, and not the unconscious, is responsible for them.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew Statesman, V.S. Pritchett

Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

Complete Science Fiction Treasury of H. G. Wells by H. G. Wells

The treasury of science fiction classics by Harold W. Kuebler

The Time Machine and The Man Who Could Work Miracles by H. G. Wells

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100771, 1400109094

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,667,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible