The Time Machine (Penguin Classics) by H.G.…

The Time Machine (Penguin Classics) (original 1895; edition 2005)

by H.G. Wells, Steve McLean (Editor), Patrick Parrinder (Editor), Marina Warner (Introduction)

Member:JReyes331
Title:The Time Machine (Penguin Classics)
Authors:H.G. Wells
Other authors:Steve McLean (Editor), Patrick Parrinder (Editor), Marina Warner (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2005), Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

Recently added byhdl1, private library, evnissyn, humblemummble, mobill76, MsCaves, celestialteapot, Melinda_H, Tannishka.Singh
Legacy LibrariesEvelyn Waugh
1001 (51) 1001 books (59) 19th century (114) adventure (48) British (69) British literature (62) classic (372) classics (314) dystopia (125) Easton Press (34) ebook (108) English (38) English literature (60) fantasy (93) fiction (892) future (47) H.G. Wells (49) Kindle (75) literature (165) novel (138) own (49) paperback (34) read (131) science fiction (1,551) sf (161) sff (67) time travel (450) to-read (134) unread (64) Victorian (45)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rocannon's world by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)

English (173)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (179)
The time traveller tests his device with a journey that takes him to A.D. 802,701, where he meets the Eloi, a society of small, elegant, childlike adults.

I believe it's fair to say H.G. Wells and The Time Machine served as the precursor to SF as well as setting the bar for future novels entering this genre. The realistic sense described by Wells is outstanding, his view of the future was harsh lacking a congenial picture which lends credibility to acceptance and evolution to the future and its inhabitants. A classic worth reading time after time.

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |
I read this for the first time (somehow!) in a college class I had on literature and themes of evolution in literature, and even though I was familiar with the creatures in the story I wasn't familiar with the actual plot. I was kind of resistant to science fiction as a genre at the time, so I was surprised when I enjoyed it so much. I wound up writing my final paper for the class on this book and themes of social class!

The Time Machine is about a scientist who presents his newest invention to his colleagues -- a machine that can actually (as the title suggests) move someone within the "dimension of time", and the scientist demonstrates that by using it for the first time to go far into the future during a time when man has evolved to become two distinct races of human. Things seem idyllic on the surface, but everything is not as it seems as the scientist quickly finds out. This is an exciting story that is both thought provoking and a little terrifying. There is a lot of really great imagery and ideas and it's easy to see why this is considered a classic. ( )
  vombatiformes | Apr 16, 2014 |
This a fun adventure with some cool ideas about the evolution (or should I say devolution) of intelligence. It??s a classic, so everyone should read it. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A brilliant inventor creates the world’s first time machine. After explaining its inner-workings to guests of his weekly dinner parties, he arranges for a follow up meeting about a week later. When the group convenes, they find the scientist exhausted and weathered. After cleaning up and consuming a well deserved meal, he sits down to tell of his journey over 800,000 years into the future.

Damn, this book is old. In fact, I’m certain it is the oldest novel I've yet to read clocking in at one hundred and twenty one years since initial publication. Wells seemingly went to great lengths to explain to the reader how a theoretical time machine would operate and I often wondered if Wells had built one himself based on how detailed his explanations and theories were. It would certainly explain the theory that the author himself is the main character.

That isn't to say it’s too philosophical and technical, there is quite a bit of action and danger. The events in the future carried with it a constant sense of urgency. Whether the traveler is trying to understand his surroundings, avoid capture or trying to find his missing time machine, the action moved at a brisk pace. In fact, a memorable moment had the traveler racing forward in time, worrying that a pillar or some kind of concrete structure may now be erected in the spot he occupied when he initially began his journey. Would he become a part of the object when he slammed on the brakes or would his machine and body simply explode? The story would be a hell of a lot shorter if he ended up like Han Solo encased in carbonite.

While I enjoyed the world building and the spectacle of time travel, I found myself re-reading passages over and over again as I struggled with Wells’ writing. I’m sure prose like this was probably commonplace back in the late 1800s but it was a major hurdle for me in 2013. However, you probably don’t need my endorsement or recommendation, this book is certainly a classic that inspired generations of sci-fi writers - it’s just not something I think I’ll find myself picking up again.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

McLean, StevenNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Priestley, J. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raffin, DeborahExecutive producer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverman, KarenProduction managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viner, MichaelExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.
THE TIME MACHINE was written by H. G. Wells.
When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

Nineteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible