The Time Machine (Penguin Classics) by H.G.…

The Time Machine (Penguin Classics) (original 1895; edition 2005)

by H.G. Wells, Steve McLean (Editor), Patrick Parrinder (Editor), Marina Warner (Introduction)

Member:JReyes331
Title:The Time Machine (Penguin Classics)
Authors:H.G. Wells
Other authors:Steve McLean (Editor), Patrick Parrinder (Editor), Marina Warner (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2005), Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    The Wine of Violence by James Morrow (themulhern)
    themulhern: The two books have great similarities and remarkable differences.
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
1890s (6)
. (5)

English (223)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (232)
A surprisingly short enjoyable book that demonstrates changing vocabulary over time. Most of the book is narrative given as a first-hand report of the Time Traveller. He recounts his adventure exploring the future in riveting fashion to a group of mostly speculative listeners. He had me hanging on every word, looking and hoping for resolution and salvation. His narration is sprinkled with words no longer in common use, requiring the use of a dictionary from time to time, never a bad thing. Thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  BrannonSG | Mar 15, 2017 |
When Wells wrote this novella, speculation about the future would have been far less informed and shaped as it is now when we know that we have gone past the climate change tipping point and have such an arsenal of nuclear weapons that the destruction of the earth by humans is inevitable.

Our knowledge of this puts the story into a difference perspective than the one it would have had for Wells’ contemporaries when they could be like the guests at the start of the book ready to receive the story in that ‘luxurious after-dinner atmosphere when thought roams gracefully free of the trammels of precision’. For us, though, the inaccuracy of Wells vision of the future serves to make the reader uneasy about the imminent future we face.

In a way I think this story would have been better written as an essay, a speculation about what lies in store for human evolution. That is because such a theme so much dominates the story that the characters never really emerge as people – in fact it’s not just the time traveller who doesn’t have a name but none of the others either just being identified by their profession. I guess the narrator is used to try to bring more credibility to the story as he seems to accept what was said.

In the conclusion where the narrator thinks of how they used to speculate about the future and ‘thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilization only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end’, it comes closer to what we face today but the concept that people’s intelligence declines when not faced with hardship and challenges ignores the way humans continually set themselves further goals. ( )
  evening | Mar 13, 2017 |
A strong three stars. Man travels in time to the year 802,701 and comes back with a thinly veiled warning to a rich and indolent society. A society that has perhaps succeeded in "ameliorating the conditions of life to a climax."

"There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers."

A short but enjoyable tale. My main criticism was the lack of vividness when describing the physical world of 802,701. The imagination could have done with a few more pointers to properly picture it. The chapter near the end where he goes even further into the future and finds himself on a desolate beach in front of the dying, red sun was brilliant. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
This was such fun. Like 1984, I thought I'd read it but when I began, realized I never had. It is just so seminal and influential that it feels like it's always been there.

I squealed aloud when I relized what the Morloks were eating! ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
4 stars for Derek Jacobi's marvelous narration but I will stick to 3 stars for the book itself.

Wells includes a bit too much moralizing or musing about the nature of mankind and society for me (or perhaps it seems that way to me because I don't generally agree with him!) ( )
  leslie.98 | Nov 6, 2016 |

Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The treasury of science fiction classics by Harold W. Kuebler

The Time Machine / The Man Who Could Work Miracles by H. G. Wells

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100771, 1400109094

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,284,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible