The Time Machine (Penguin Classics) by H.G.…

The Time Machine (Penguin Classics) (original 1895; edition 2005)

by H.G. Wells, Steve McLean (Editor), Patrick Parrinder (Editor), Marina Warner (Introduction)

Member:JReyes331
Title:The Time Machine (Penguin Classics)
Authors:H.G. Wells
Other authors:Steve McLean (Editor), Patrick Parrinder (Editor), Marina Warner (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2005), Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague De Camp (dukeallen)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
1890s (4)
. (5)

English (218)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (226)
I picked this up because it is mentioned quite a bit in the last book I read, "It" by Stephen King. And it is cool to see how the two books are related, especially the goings on underground! This book is a pretty good read, though the first chapter was tough to get through. The Time Traveller travels to the future and finds a community of vegetarian, communist, sexless seeming humanoids that seem to just hang out. These are the Eloi, or the Haves. They live above ground. Under ground, are the Have-nots, the Morlocks, and they are definitely not vegetarian! The Time Traveller runs about, theorizes on this future world and its peoples, and then returns to tell his tale. All-in-all, a pretty good adventure! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 6, 2016 |
I probably should've read this years ago. Whilst intriguing to a certain degree, ultimately it leaves one feeling depressed. But then that is what happens to people who entertain evolutionary ideas on any level. Where is hope for the future if we are at the mercy of the elements and if there is no Higher Power controlling world events? Anything could happen if that were the case....right? Would you want to leave yourselves and your children to the determination of fate or even to successive governments who really don't have much of a clue what will happen or why....

Thank goodness we have the Bible which tells us what will happen and that there is a God who is in control. We don't need to be afraid of the future unknowns as it is all written down for us in God's Word. We won't end up as either airheaded, lighthearted, delicate beauties or as dark, underground, cannibalistic rejects as depicted in this book....unless God wills it! We can trust Him to do what is best for us and for our future eternity in heaven.

That said, it was an enjoyable read and I did want to know what happened to "The Time Traveller" at the end. But as the author died long ago, I guess I'll never find out! The book is clean; free of bad language, violence and sexual content. There are mentions of cannibalism but not in graphic detail. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
For crying in the night! That's it?
The adventure ends and every bit of mystery remains a secret! At the height of intrigue, the story halts so abruptly my head is still spinning. I will not say it comes to an end because plainly there are chapters upon chapters more to be told! Where is the end? Where are the missing pages between the point where my eyes ran out of words and that sense of closure? This is a glorious job of storytelling! A book teeming with creativity! I want more!
Yes, the intent of Mr. Wells' work may have been to prove the folly of a class system that separates and oppresses. He points out in horrific fashion how the tables can drastically turn. And I grasp the message that trials and hardships do indeed compel the human race to seek greater knowledge, while total tranquility lends to stagnant lives and stupidity. Those points are made in the first excursion, but could not the story have continued with the same entrancing force simply for the sake of entertainment?
I'm left wanting to such a degree that I nearly hate the book as much as I love it!!!
  REGoodrich | Aug 10, 2016 |
Although this story was written in 1895 and one should Wells pay tribute about his vision of the future, the story do not grabbed me really. He described his landing in a country where there is only harmony and peace. At closer inspection there was still a shadow world. This should be the life of the rich and poor, which is not fully convinced me. He also flew in the distant future, where there were only giant crabs etc..
It is probably due to me that this book is not really one for me. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jul 9, 2016 |
I listened to this audiobook on librovox. This was such a great story! classic, timeless. it was action packed and enthralling and also dramatic and quite sad as well.
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |

Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The treasury of science fiction classics by Harold W. Kuebler

The Time Machine / The Man Who Could Work Miracles by H. G. Wells

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100771, 1400109094

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,238,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible