The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine (original 1895; edition 2011)

by H. G. Wells

Title:The Time Machine
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Project Gutenberg, ebook
Collections:Your library, ebook
Tags:1800s, avventura, eng, sci-fi, movie-tie-in

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague De Camp (dukeallen)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    The Wine of Violence by James Morrow (themulhern)
    themulhern: The two books have great similarities and remarkable differences.
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
1890s (6)
. (5)

English (221)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (229)
A group of Englishmen sit around theorizing about the (im)possibility of a fourth dimension and time travel. One of them claims he has built a time machine. They all meet again another day, with the time traveler entering the room looking disheveled before embarking on a long story about his adventures travelling into the future.

So I was very much looking forward to reading this book, as I had never read anything by H.G. Wells before and this book is considered a science fiction classic (perhaps even arguably the science fiction classic). Unfortunately, I found myself rather disappointed with it. For starters, I just didn't find it that interesting; it didn't really hold my attention. It took an embarrassingly long time for me to get through this slim book because I couldn't focus on it for long. Mostly I couldn't get past how it was VERY much a "tell" rather than a "show" book, with 90 percent of the story being one long narrative from the time traveler. I prefer books that paint a picture rather than simply being talked at by one rather bland character with little personality.

Also, maybe because I've read a decent amount of more recent science fiction, this one didn't have the usual appeal of using a speculative idea to talk about the very real issues of today. I think that Wells was trying for that, but I struggled with the transition from "arcane class system" to "thousands of years in the future, cannibalism!" The logical leap just wasn't there.

Although I was trying to appreciate its place in science fiction history, this book fell flat for me. I wish I had better things to say about it, but I'd much, much, much rather read anything by Margaret Atwood or Ursula Le Guin for something compelling and thought-provoking -- and would recommend those authors' books over this one. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 12, 2016 |
Published in 1895, this book has held up for almost 150 years now!

A great adventure through time with social commentary woven throughout. Consider that what Wells said then is relevant today: there are the ultra-wealthy who live lives of luxury, reliant on the workers to tend their crops and homes and bodies. Then there are the workers, stronger of body and knowledgeable of the machines that make life easy.

The divide between them is so vast they end up living in vastly different environments: one aboveground where the air is pure and light shines every day, the other belowground where the air is foul and darkness prevails.

And yet, when night falls aboveground, the Eloi retreat in fear. The Morlocks hunt them for food. Who has the upper hand now?

Simplistic in nature, to be sure, and it overlooks how leisure time allows man to create art and to consider his own existence. Yet somehow still a book for our times.

5 stars!

If you enjoy stories that explore the depths of good and evil, check out [b:Reparation: A Novel of Love, Devotion and Danger|31228022|Reparation A Novel of Love, Devotion and Danger|Laine Cunningham|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1469650746s/31228022.jpg|46020043]. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Oct 4, 2016 |
I believe this is the first of Wells' science fiction novels. It was published shortly before the turn of the century. The initial portion consists of a bunch of after-dinner chat about the science of time travel but the bulk of the book is the Time Traveller's tale of his experiences. In this part, the events follow very rapidly and somewhat chaotically upon each other, while the Time Traveller tries to make sense of the world he has arrived in. This book was intended to be a critique of the existing social situation in Wells' own time. Since the Time Traveller can not speak the language of the people of the future, and knows nothing of their history, he can only speculate about the true nature of their situation and how it came to be. He reminds his audience of this frequently, and thus Wells is not required to make his future entirely sensible or coherent, which is a nice trick. It _is_ hard for a modern reader to understand how the situation which the Time Traveller finds himself in could have come to pass. Wells writes well, and, as seems typical with his books, the Time Traveller readily admits his terror and distress at the situation in which he finds himself.

The book ends abruptly, but very well and on a somewhat poignant note.

In the museum in which the Time Traveller finds himself, there seem to be an excess of artifacts from the 20th century. Given that he has travelled to the year 800,000+, the items of the 20th century should not seem so significant. ( )
  themulhern | Oct 2, 2016 |
This is a book you can ruminate on for hours! The book makes interesting comparisons between the creatures we may become, versus the creatures we are. H.G. Wells, as a character in the book, ultimately 'conquers' time by no longer being ruled by it. An engaging and thought-provoking story for any age, in my opinion. ( )
  Breton07 | Sep 22, 2016 |
I picked this up because it is mentioned quite a bit in the last book I read, "It" by Stephen King. And it is cool to see how the two books are related, especially the goings on underground! This book is a pretty good read, though the first chapter was tough to get through. The Time Traveller travels to the future and finds a community of vegetarian, communist, sexless seeming humanoids that seem to just hang out. These are the Eloi, or the Haves. They live above ground. Under ground, are the Have-nots, the Morlocks, and they are definitely not vegetarian! The Time Traveller runs about, theorizes on this future world and its peoples, and then returns to tell his tale. All-in-all, a pretty good adventure! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 6, 2016 |

Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The treasury of science fiction classics by Harold W. Kuebler

The Time Machine / The Man Who Could Work Miracles by H. G. Wells

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100771, 1400109094

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible