The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine (original 1895; edition 2011)

by H. G. Wells

Member:Amarillide
Title:The Time Machine
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Project Gutenberg, ebook
Collections:Your library, ebook
Rating:***
Tags:1800s, avventura, eng, sci-fi, movie-tie-in

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The end of eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    Morlock night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague De Camp (dukeallen)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
1890s (5)

English (209)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (216)
Absolutely boring. The introduction was pretty interesting, but every aspect of the actual time travel was incredibly frustrating to get through. As with the other H.G. Wells stories I've read, this was just unimpressive and lackluster. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This classic science fiction novel opens with the Time Traveler, explaining to his Victorian peers, his plans to travel in time. The next scene is a dinner party a week later with the narrator and a few of the Time Traveler's previous guests. The Time Traveler enters the room in terrible shape. After he has cleaned up he begins to tell them of his trip in time. The Traveler tells them that he went to the year 802701 A.D. The England of the distant future is a beautiful place, almost a Utopia, but civilization is in majestic ruin. He first encounters the Eloi, a race of pretty, vacuous beings descended from humans. All other animals are apparently extinct, and the vegetarian Eloi have every need mysteriously provided for.

The Morlocks are hunched-over, pale ape-like creatures with glowing cat-like eyes that live in elaborate underground cities. They quickly steal the time machine and drag it into their territory. Though the time traveler clearly understands the Eloi’s fear of this other race, he has no choice but to pursue his machine underground. The world of the Morlocks is completely devoid of light and the time traveler’s venture underground is one of the most horrific moments in classic literature.

The Time Machine is a social doom prophecy. This was the book that really propelled Wells’s career as an author writing fantasy-like visions with a scientific approach. Wells created a new path for his career, but also for a genre of writing. Some of Wells’s writing will feel dated to modern readers, but it is worth bearing in mind that he was writing the beginning books of modern Science-Fiction. Later authors, including even Wells himself, would go on to improve on the foundation laid here. So many of the questions addressed by time traveling narratives originate with Wells, and for this reason The Time Machine is essential reading for any science-fiction fan. ( )
1 vote Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
The Time Machine H.G. Wells

2.5 stars, round to three

H.G. Wells is the grandfather of time-travel writing, and I've heard so many things about this book that I guess I expected it to be GREAT! However, I have been torn by how I feel about this book, so it's taken me a couple of days to decide what to say about it.

The Time Traveler, which is the only name this character is given, has traveled through time to the future. He encounters first what he thinks is an idealistic world of the Eloi, but soon discovers the more sinister and dangerous Morelock. This story is really the telling of a group who come to dine with the Time Traveler (in his present time) and are then told the story of his time traveling.

Based on the description on the back cover of "shock", "fear", and "adventure", I expected the book to be riveting and fast-paced. I expected the Morelocks to be terrifying as they are described as being on the back of the book. However, I found myself sorely disappointed. The book was not shocking or riveting. The book didn't evoke fear nor was there a real sense of adventure to me. Instead, the tale of the Time Traveler's experiences left me yawning; I was simply bored by it. I guess I wanted something that was more fast-paced in terms of the "adventure" of the book.

Having said that, however, there were some things that I loved about the book.

First, the writing is beautifully done. Wells has a way of phrasing an idea that makes a sentence a beautiful thing. Wells can really turn a phrase.

Second, the text is a well-done social commentary about social structures, about the ideas of class (masters and servants), about rich and poor, and about the impact of technology. Taken as a social commentary, it's a great book with some provocative questions and suggestions about where the future will lead us. Even though the text is set in Victorian times, Wells commentary on social structure is equally applicable today.

Sadly, the book just falls sort for me on the "adventure" aspect. I guess I just wanted the time traveling part of the book to have more "action".
  slpwhitehead | Jan 17, 2016 |
The Time Machine H.G. Wells

2.5 stars, round to three

Having said that, however, there were some things that I loved about the book.

slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
This book was part of one of my Seventh Grade reading projects. The first novel of H.G. Wells, it's about an inventor-named the Time Traveler in the story-who invents a working time machine and takes a trip into the far future. There, he discovers a race of what seems to be humans having evolved to a new stage in evolution. But dangerous creatures called Morlocks dwell beneath the civilization, and they stole the Time Machine (which the Time Traveler disabled). Read the book to find out how it ends. I believe this book inspired many icons in pop culture, including Back to the Future. H. G. Wells was a person who could create new ideas for the world of science fiction.
  tomajerry | Jan 12, 2016 |

Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The treasury of science fiction classics by Harold W. Kuebler

The Time Machine / The Man Who Could Work Miracles by H. G. Wells

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.
When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100771, 1400109094

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,248,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible