The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine (original 1895; edition 2012)

by H. G. Wells

9,830197291 (3.7)555
Member:ursula
Title:The Time Machine
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Tribeca Books (2012), Paperback, 104 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, 1001 books, science fiction, classics, time travel, 19th century, 1895, 1890s

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

1890s (11)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rocannon's world by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)

English (189)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (195)
Even as a kid, I was able to see that the Elois were the "haves" and the Morlocks were the "have-nots" or the "working class" as some would say.
This book is about so much more than time-travel.
With the divide between rich and poor growing thicker in the U.S., this book is a great study of that idea and a warning about where we could end up.
Fascinating read even now.
Read the full review here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
"That is a brilliant story. I wonder I never read it before - the start is a bit hard, but the description is wonderful."

That was my reaction as I spoke to a friend immediately I finished reading this book. It's the sort of novel that one is presented with at school and hates, and I admit when I started it, I was put off by the discourse on the nature of time and space and four or more dimensions. Written in a Victorian manner, it seems like a text book rather than a framework within which Dr Who can cheerfully travel, with no mental exertion for the millions of fans.

The story swiftly changes, though, to a detailed, beautifully crafted, fantastically clearly imaged narrative by the Time Traveller, set down by his friend. At some stage I suddenly recognised the names Morlocks and Eloi, although I know I've not read this, just absorbed the protagonists through years of general knowledge.

It is a beautiful story, filled with dread at what might become of our world, with a supplement of what truly could happen at the end of the world.

I couldn't put it down. Gripping. Mind expanding. One of the grand-daddies of science fiction. And of course, it's also steampunk!

Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
(level unknown)
  mshampson | Nov 1, 2014 |
Enjoyable and easy to read, this is also relevant today. The haves and the have nots stand out in our society and wells has predicted this. As with some of his other predictions will he be accurate about our ultimate fate? ( )
  polarbear123 | Oct 25, 2014 |
I found this more interesting than War of the Worlds. Wells' future made one think. His "re-creation" suggested the circular view of history -- condemned to repeat. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |

Mugnaini, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliva , RenatoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Priestley, J. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raffin, DeborahExecutive producer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverman, KarenProduction managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viner, MichaelExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds / The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

The War of the Worlds / The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine; The Island of Dr. Moreau; The Invisible Man; The First Men in the Moon; The Food of the Gods; In the Days of the Comet; The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

The treasury of science fiction classics by Harold W. Kuebler

The Time Machine / The Man Who Could Work Miracles by H. G. Wells

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.
When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible