The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine (original 1895; edition 2012)

by H. G. Wells

Member:ursula
Title:The Time Machine
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Tribeca Books (2012), Paperback, 104 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, 1001 books, science fiction, classics, time travel, 19th century, 1895, 1890s

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1895)

1001 (52) 1001 books (59) 19th century (117) adventure (55) British (69) British literature (67) classic (381) classics (316) dystopia (129) Easton Press (34) ebook (111) English (38) English literature (61) fantasy (97) fiction (908) future (48) H.G. Wells (50) Kindle (77) literature (167) novel (143) own (49) paperback (35) read (132) science fiction (1,574) sf (162) sff (69) time travel (463) to-read (159) unread (64) Victorian (46)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    Rocannon's world by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)

English (179)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (185)
I think, of all of the Wells stories I've read, this is the one that was the hardest for me to get through. I wasn't very impressed with it.

I have to give it props, however, because he is one of the founders of the science-fiction genre, and so I must recognize that what is in his book was really revolutionary at the time. Even if now, it doesn't seem as big of a deal.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
You know what? It's dull. I'm not enjoying it. I'm not going to make myself read something that doesn't interest me (if it's not required for something).
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
‘Even this artistic impetus would at last die away—had almost died in the Time I saw. To adorn themselves with flowers, to dance, to sing in the sunlight: so much was left of the artistic spirit, and no more. Even that would fade in the end into a contented inactivity. We are kept keen on the grindstone of pain and necessity, and, it seemed to me, that here was that hateful grindstone broken at last!
‘As I stood there in the gathering dark I thought that in this simple explanation I had mastered the problem of the world—mastered the whole secret of these delicious people. Possibly the checks they had devised for the increase of population had succeeded too well, and their numbers had rather diminished than kept stationary. That would account for the abandoned ruins. Very simple was my explanation, and plausible enough—as most wrong theories are!

Even though the Time Traveller came to realise that he was wrong about the Eloi's seemingly idyllic life, the quotation about being kept keen by the grindstone resonates through the rest of the book, as he is finding them disappointingly dull and incurious well before he finds out about the Morlocks. I wasn't sure to start with if I had read it before, butI now I think that I must have seen a film version, possibly in black and white as I have monochrome memories of the time machine passing through wartime when his house had bomb damage. I quite enjoyed it, but it wasn't as much fun as the Invisible Man. Too much time spent with the dull Eloi made it a bit dull in parts.

The time-traveller really was rather ill-prepared for his first trip. He wore a pair of scruffy old falling-to-bits shoes that he normally wore round the house, and would any smoker really forget to take a good supply of cigarettes or tobacco with him? His lack of attention to the crablike things on the far future beach and to the oxygen-depleted atmosphere was equally foolhardy. ( )
  isabelx | May 17, 2014 |

Mugnaini, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliva , RenatoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Priestley, J. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raffin, DeborahExecutive producer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverman, KarenProduction managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viner, MichaelExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.
THE TIME MACHINE was written by H. G. Wells.
When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528557, Mass Market Paperback)

“I’ve had a most amazing time....”

So begins the Time Traveller’s astonishing firsthand account of his journey 800,000 years beyond his own era—and the story that launched H.G. Wells’s successful career and earned him the reputation as the father of science fiction. With a speculative leap that still fires the imagination, Wells sends his brave explorer to face a future burdened with our greatest hopes...and our darkest fears. A pull of the Time Machine’s lever propels him to the age of a slowly dying Earth.  There he discovers two bizarre races—the ethereal Eloi and the subterranean Morlocks—who not only symbolize the duality of human nature, but offer a terrifying portrait of the men of tomorrow as well.  Published in 1895, this masterpiece of invention captivated readers on the threshold of a new century. Thanks to Wells’s expert storytelling and provocative insight, The Time Machine will continue to enthrall readers for generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

The first and greatest portrayal of time travel is printed with a newly established text, a full biographical essay on Wells, a list of further reading, and detailed notes.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible