Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
Member:meriadoc
Title:Prince Caspian
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:C. S. Lewis, Lynn Redgrave (Narrator)
Info:HarperFestival (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***1/2

Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (1951)

Recently added byprivate library, osce, aharey, serufener, LucasDosSantos, samedarkclouds, ladyvader1138
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (147)  Spanish (2)  English (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  English (152)
I read this series years ago, twice, in two different orders. Saw the BBC production too. Beautiful stories. Now my 8 yr old daughter is reading the Chronicles. She is currently reading Prince Caspian. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
C.S.
  StPaulsChurch | Jul 19, 2016 |
A year after returning from Narnia, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are on the train platform ready to go away to boarding school when they're pulled away by a magical force - can they be back in Narnia? And if this is Narnia, why is it so very changed, with a castle in ruins and no sign of the Talking Beasts or walking trees?

I seem to have a theme lately of revisiting childhood favorites in my audiobooks. Prince Caspian is the second in the publishing order of the Chronicles of Narnia, and the fourth chronologically. The story is told in a somewhat odd way, as the children encounter a dwarf who brings them up to speed with who Prince Caspian is, and it takes them over half the book to even get to him. This also isn't my favorite of the audiobooks, as I'm sure Lynn Redgrave is a fine reader but her voice choices for Lucy and Nikabrik in particular do not match the voices of those characters in my head. I will always enjoy this story, however, for Trufflehunter and his faith and Reepicheep who remains the only mouse I will ever like. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 19, 2016 |
I wasn't sure if I'd like this one as much as Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. I was pleasantly surprised to like it just as much. It did not have all the introductory magic of the first where they discovered all for the first time. Instead, they rediscover a fallen world and help again rebuild what had once been glorious and has now been undone. High emphasis is again placed on the children - Lucy, Peter, Susan and Edmund - but entering is a new great, Prince Caspian.

I missed the older animals from the first book but since so much time has passed, it must be assumed they have died natural deaths. The new animals are a treat to behold, too - I really loved the little mouse army and hope to see more of them.

Aslan was as awesome as ever and the Christianity tie in made more clear than before. The teacher they approached in the tiny schoolhouse, for example. It was said from the start the little boys she taught were piglike. It was repeated. When they looked through the window to see what the teacher stared at, they screamed and ran away in fright like pigs. I'm sure this brings to mind to people a famous section of the bible? In addition, when Aslan goes to heal a dying woman, she looks into his face and is radiant, asking if he was finally there for her, and in which he replies that he is not there to take her on her "long journey" yet.

There is a difference in Susan. In the first book she was called Queen Susan the Gentle and always seemed peaceful. Here she comes across for the better part of the beginning as the difficult child. It's not an aspect I picked up the first book. It is even stated that Lucy is Peters favorite sister, when before I would have assumed the two oldest would have been the closest to each other.

The ending was happy and glorious with some hints on how the world came to change and that there are at least two long stories Aslan did not explain yet. There was also a sad note as Peter announced something Aslan revealed to him and Susan in confidence (Won't spoil this if you haven't read the book.)

Truly a great sequel to the original and a promising lead into the rest of the series. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
2003, Harper Audio, Read by Lynn Redgrave

Prince Caspian begins and ends at a British railway station where the Penvensie children are waiting to return to school. Whisked once again into the land of Narnia, they land on a beautiful beach near an old, ruined castle, which they determine to be Cair Paravel, where they once reigned as Kings and Queens. Although the children are only one year older than they were in their last Narnian adventure, centuries have passed in the magical world.

King Miraz has usurped the throne of Prince Caspian, its rightful heir. Aided by a talking badger, Trufflehunter, two dwarves, Nikabrik and Trumpkin, the inimitable mouse, Reepicheep, and, of course, the magnificent Aslan, the children engage in battle on behalf of Prince Caspian.

Favourite Memories:
I absolutely loved Reepicheep! I was saddened to learn that Peter and Susan, by the conclusion of the novel, are too old to return to Narnia – this reminded me fondly of a moment in my own childhood when my dad explained that there are some doors in life through which only little people can pass.

Recommended: Absolutely, highly! These audio versions are fabulously done.

lit_chick | Jun 10, 2016 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mary Clare Havard
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, and it has been told in another book called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe how they had a remarkable adventure.
"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth."
Please do NOT combine "Prince Caspian" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Narnia... where animals talk... where trees walk... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false King. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of the entire world.

A prince fights for his crown

Narnia ... where animals talk ... where trees walk ... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false king. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of an entire world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

Four children help Prince Caspian and his army of Talking Beasts to free Narnia from evil.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,623,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible