Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
Title:Prince Caspian
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:C. S. Lewis, Lynn Redgrave (Narrator)
Info:HarperFestival (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (1951)

English (128)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (133)
Read as the second Narnia book - although I see it is the fourth book in other orderings.
Still not Tolkien.
Read in Samoa Nov 2002 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 27, 2015 |
Very good ending.. and story too.
It's just sad that Peter and Susan won't be able to enter Narnia anymore
after they went home .. ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
"I actually found out about the whole Narnia thing when the movie Prince Caspian came out. My friend invited me to watch the movie. Another friend lent me a VHS of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so I would not be totally lost watching Prince Caspian on the next day. What I'm trying to say is that I watched it without having read the book, so I had no expectations whatsoever. Now, some years later, having both read the book and watched the movie so many times, I can confess: same old book better than movie story, for me. It's not that the movie is bad or anything. On the contrary, I found it very similar to the book. Of course, Hollywood will always change a thing or two to make the movie more ""exciting"" to the audience, but the essence of the story is irrevocably there.

The coolest thing about Prince Caspian is the gigantic time-lapse between its story and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The book starts with a quick introduction to a new people, the Telmarines, during which we get to know Caspian and a little bit of political intricacies surrounding his life. After that, we are thrown back to the Pevensies. Everything truly begins when the they are summoned back to Narnia, after having spent around one year in the real world. The thing that they don't know, of course, is that that one real world year, counted in Narnian time, amounts to one thousand years. Long story short: everything is changed; the landscape, the political scenario, nothing is the same as the Pevensies remember.

There is one thing that didn't change a bit, though: Lewis' efforts to subtly send religious messages through his stories. More than anything, Prince Caspian is a book about faith, about believing there is something worth living and fighting for. We can clearly perceive that from the beginning of Pevensies' adventures through the ""new Narnia"". They lack allies, they lack proper guidance. All of a sudden, Lucy begins seeing Aslan here and there, even though others can't. Again we are faced with the concept that help comes to those who believe.

Further on, when the author brings all the good guys together in order for them to attempt to defeat the Telmarines - the new ruling people living on the lands around what used to be Narnia -, the messages about the power of faith are there again. Caspian, the Pevensies and what remained of their allies - the old Narnian people - are heavily outnumbered, having to rely on supposed fairy tales as a source of motivation, but they don't ever give up.

From a plot development standpoint, were all those reinforced hints at religion somewhat mellow and redundant? Maybe. Were they efficient? I have to say yes, they were. From my experience, there is no way that a reader will not feel motivated to keep reading a story when they have good guys in a very bad situation to root for. My final opinion is that Prince Caspian was a really good read. Lewis kept true to his purpose with the books, without losing sight of the story itself. The whole thing was fast-paced, the plot driven by the imminent war that would come at the end. It was good to see the Pevensies again, acting as warriors but also as a family. Considering that there are no books on the series about the Golden Age of Narnia, Prince Caspian is actually the last one on which we have the chance of seeing them all together - so this is a book that you can't just not read, if you are a Narnia fan; it would feel like skipping Christmas or something.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Things never happen the same way twice.
Don't run from who you are.

The Last Passage
It was odd, and not very nice, to take off their royal clothes and to come back in their school things (not very fresh now) into that great assembly. One or two of the nastier Telmarines jeered. But the other creatures all cheered and rose up in honor of Peter the High King, and Queen Susan of the Horn, and King Edmund, and Queen Lucy. There were affectionate and (on Lucy’s part) tearful farewells with all their old friends—animal kisses, and hugs from Bulgy Bears, and hands wrung by Trumpkin, and a last tickly, whiskerish embrace with Trufflehunter. And of course Caspian offered the Horn back to Susan and of course Susan told him to keep it. And then, wonderfully and terribly, it was farewell to Aslan himself, and Peter took his place with Susan’s hands on his shoulders and Edmund’s on hers and Lucy’s on his and the first of the Telmarine’s on Lucy’s, and so in a long line they moved forward to the Door. After that came a moment which is hard to describe, for the children seemed to be seeing three things at once. One was the mouth of a cave opening into the glaring green and blue of an island in the Pacific, where all the Telmarines would find themselves the moment they were through the Door. The second was a glade in Narnia, the faces of Dwarfs and Beasts, the deep eyes of Aslan, and the white patches on the Badger’s cheeks. But the third (which rapidly swallowed up the other two) was the gray, gravelly surface of a platform in a country station, and a seat with luggage round it, where they were all sitting as if they had never moved from it—a little flat and dreary for a moment after all they had been through, but also, unexpectedly, nice in its own way, what with the familiar railway smell and the English sky and the summer term before them.
“Well!” said Peter. “We have had a time.”
“Bother!” said Edmund. “I’ve left my new torch in Narnia.”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
It's been years since I allowed myself the pleasure of rereading the Narnia books. And now I have two pleasures in reading these books: enjoying my old childhood joy, and analyzing the writing itself.

One thing I remember noticing even as a child is the absolute dearth of femaleness. I don't mean female characters per se: in terms of having someone to care about and directly identify with, there's always a female child as well as a male one. (Everyone loves Lucy.) I mean that Lewis seems not to have understood that where there are sons, there must be mothers.

(Belated warning: There will be spoilers. These books are over 60 years old, and there have been movies made of some of them. If you're over the age of 18 and you haven't read the Narnia books yet, clearly you have no plans to. Which I think is a shame, but hey, you're the boss of you.)

Getting back to what I was saying about motherless sons: I'm speaking in a strictly biological sense, and boy howdy does Lewis seem to be squeamish about the strictly biological. When young prince Caspian is forced to flee into the wilderness, he befriends and allies himself with the talking beasts and magical creatures who have gone into hiding since the invasion of the Telmarines. (Excellent name, btw. Lewis is as gifted at naming as Dickens was.)

In the course of this delightful search for what's left of the magical beings of Narnia, who does Caspian meet? There are dwarves and dwarf-folk -- descendants of dwarves who are part-human. All of these are male. It feels as if dwarves would have to marry humans in order to carry on the race, since we never, ever, ever hear anything about female dwarves. Probably because in Lewis' world, women are beautiful and good, or beautiful and evil, or ugly and evil; but they're never ugly (or even just ordinary-looking) and good. And the fact is, female dwarves wouldn't be gorgeous to human eyes. Lewis seems uncomfortable with this.

(To be fair, so was his good friend, Tolkien. Terry Pratchett seems to be the first major writer to tackle the issue of female dwarves, and he does so delightfully in the Discworld novels.)

So: lots of dwarves. All male. Who else? Three talking bears, all male. A giant squirrel, male. Glenstorm the centaur and his three sons. Um, male. Probably because centaurs are always portrayed as bare-chested rather than clothed, and Lewis goes along with that. Having a female centaur would mean having a topless woman or introducing the idea of centaur fashion, and Lewis seems uncomfortable with that. So we have a centaur with three male children and a wife who either died or keeps herself decently tucked away, which seems distinctly un-centaurlike. But okay.

(The centaurs even offer refreshments to Caspian and his friends: oatcakes, and wine, and cheese. Boy-centaurs who cook are more okay to Lewis than female centaurs who do anything. Not that I'm bitter.)

Who else? Twelve talking, fighting mice. All male. Several other talking animals, all male. (Unless Hogglestock the Hedgehog is female, which I sort of doubt, but I guess it's possible.) Fauns -- male. And a giant. Male.

As I said, I remember wondering even as a child where the mothers and daughters and wives were. You kind of can't carry a species on without them. But Lewis is determined to manage somehow.

You'd never know from reading this review so far that I love these books. I do. They're humorous and moving and just plain terrific stories. So many lines of dialogue have stuck with me over the years. I love it when Trumpkin the dwarf finds the Pevensie children and is awkwardly explaining that, well, he and his band of rebels had been hoping for some serious military help against the evil King Miraz when they decided to call back the four ancient rulers of Narnia:

"I suppose you are the four children out of the old stories," said Trumpkin. "And I'm very glad to meet you of course. And it's very interesting, no doubt. But -- no offence?" -- and he hesitated again.

"Do get on and say whatever you're going to say," said Edmund.

"Well then (no offence)," said Trumpkin. "But, you know, the King and Trufflehunter and Master Cornelius were expecting -- well, if you see what I mean, help. To put it in another way, I think they'd be imagining you as great warriors. As it is -- we're awfully fond of children and all that, but just at the moment, in the middle of a war -- but I'm sure you understand."

The contest that follows, in which the children courteously invite the dwarf to compete with them in fencing and archery (and absolutely trounce him) is as delightful to read now as it was when I was a kid. It's such a joy to have a book in which children are active, competent, skillful characters. I think that's why these books continue to be read and enjoyed. Plenty has changed technologically in the years since they were written, but kids still love having the chance to be heroes. And the Pevensies are ordinary kids who get to do amazing things.

Now: another thing I noticed this time around that I also puzzled over as a child was how odd some of Aslan's behavior is. Unless you specifically know that his rules and actions are a metaphor for Christianity, his choices are baffling. Why when he came to lead the children to the right path to reach Caspian did he put Lucy to the test that way? He tormented all of them with his elusiveness, and for what?

Plot-wise, it makes no sense. If you know that it's "really" about having Christian faith, it clicks. Especially if you understand that some believers (certainly Lewis was one of them) are firmly convinced that people who say they don't believe in the Christian God secretly do, in their deepest heart of hearts. Here's Susan, talking to Lucy about Aslan:

"I really believed it was him -- he, I mean -- yesterday. When he warned us not to go down to the fir-wood. And I really believed it was him tonight, when you woke us up. I mean, deep down inside. Or I could have, if I'd let myself. But I just wanted to get out of the woods and -- and -- oh, I don't know."

I don't know either. I'm too straightforward to be able to make much sense of that sort of thing.

Again, these stories are strong enough to stand up to their own weaknesses. I loved them then and I love them now. But it's fun to take a keener look at them now that I'm a so-called grownup.
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Meet Prince Caspian, a boy who has become intrigued in stories of Old Narnia from his nurse. Where beasts can run and talk freely. He lives in the royal castle, where the current king strictly forbids talk about Old Narnia from the kingdoms backstory. The four Penvensies are transported to Narnia once again by Susan's own magic horn. It turns out that the beasts and men are in war, and the children are needed to help. Will the great land of Talking Beasts be restored to its glory? Or will the cruel men stay in reign? Read and find out. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as fantasy being my favorite genre and the four children we're back. I was fine with Shasta in the last book, but it is definetly good to have the original children back. I reccomend this book to everyone, as it was a great read and i couldn't put it down. ( )
  Alec.CB | May 25, 2015 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mary Clare Havard
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, and it has been told in another book called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe how they had a remarkable adventure.
"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth."
Please do NOT combine "Prince Caspian" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.

Narnia... where animals talk... where trees walk... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false King. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of the entire world.

A prince fights for his crown

Narnia ... where animals talk ... where trees walk ... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false king. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of an entire world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

Four children help Prince Caspian and his army of Talking Beasts to free Narnia from evil.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible