Owly, Vol. 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet…

Owly, Vol. 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer (edition 2004)

by Andy Runton

Member:Tinker84
Title:Owly, Vol. 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer
Authors:Andy Runton
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2004), Edition: First Printing, Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel

Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton

Korgi, Vol. 1 by Christian Slade (ryvre)
    Owly Volume 2: Just A Little Blue by Andy Runton (gilberts)
    Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Cry Yourself To Sleep by Jeremy Tinder (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly is like Cry Yourself to Sleep only more adorable and sweet.
    Babymouse, Queen of the World! by Jennifer Holm (FFortuna)

I chose to read this book because of it’s description as an “all ages comic book,” in order to help complete this year’s Book Riot Read Harder Challenge. I was surprised when it arrived to see exactly how few words this book contained. The animals make noises and occasionally there are words shown from a book one of the animals is reading, but that’s about it. Conversations are conveyed through bubbles containing pictures. Emotions are expressed by way of pictures. I found it pretty incredible that so much could be conveyed without words and with some fairly simplistic depictions.

This book is composed of two novellas, each in comic book style. In the first, Owly, the charming main character, is out to help others and make friends. He puts birdseed out for the birds. He frees captured fireflies. He rescues Wormy from nearly drowning in a puddle during a rainstorm and stays up all night making sure he is ok. The next day he helps Wormy find his parents. In the second novella, Owly and Wormy go out of their way to research and find the right food for two hungry hummingbirds. Owly also must learn to let go in this story, as the hummingbirds must migrate south for the summer. Owly’s good deeds do not go unnoticed and those he has helped become his loyal friends, destined to return even if flying far away.

These are truly heartwarming, enchanting tales of friendship and kindness. I read this with my 4 year old daughter who summed the book up in one word, “awesome.” I look forward to reading more of Owly in the future. ( )
  marieatbookchatter | May 24, 2017 |
I loved this book. Through this class I have been exposed to many things that I would not have been otherwise. To read a book that is almost completely devoid of words but to leave knowing a whole story is something really cool to experience as an adult. ( )
  chelseagarland | Dec 2, 2016 |
Owly is the cutest graphic novel for adolescents! It follows the story of an Owl but has no words at all! One has to just look at the pictures and infer what is going on. I love to see the facial expressions and being able to tell what is happening based on just pictures (I'm a very visual learner). I would definitely recommend this graphic novel. ( )
  hrw114 | Oct 30, 2016 |
Despite its simplicity, this graphic novel is not aimed at the younger set, but is a book for all age groups. Almost entirely devoid of words, the charm of this series rests in the simple illustrations. Do not rush through the novel – take time to savor the drawings. The deep friendship between Owly and Wormy develops gradually but firmly. In the second story, the duo befriends a couple of humming birds. Through these woodland creatures, Andy Runton has shown what it takes to be a friend and keep a friend, and that friendship continues even when friends are separated. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 18, 2016 |
This graphic novel has very little words, It just shows how the owl just wanted to make friends through bubbly illustrations. This is a story about friendship and having to let them go when they have to leave. ( )
  TSouza | Apr 10, 2016 |
Owly is an adorable puffball of a bird. He’s almost all eyes, and yet, with a few twists of line, Andy Runton manages to convey an extensive variety of emotion, including optimism, disappointment, concern, loneliness, and friendship.

Owly and Wormy enjoy bird watching and befriend Tiny and Angel, two hummingbirds who come to drink nectar from the flowers that Wormy has planted. Owly is a kind, yet lonely, little owl who's always on the lookout for new friends and adventure. The first graphic novel in the series contains two enchanting novellas: the Way Home and the Bittersweet Summer, wherein Owly discovers the meaning of friendship and that saying goodbye doesn't always mean forever.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,236,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible