Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis…

Alice's Adventures Under Ground

by Lewis Carroll

facsimile of the original manuscript, including his sketches, plus some historical notes.
  magid | Oct 31, 2014 |
This is what is typically known as an ur-text, namely a rough draft that has been extensively rewritten to produce the final work (though when I think of an ur-text, I usually think of the ancient world). Needless to say it is nowhere near as good as the original text, though for some reason people wanted Lewis Carol (or whatever his name is, and I can't be bothered looking it up at the moment) to publish the original story that he told Alice Liddel that day they were rowing down that river in Oxford (I know the river because I have been to Oxford, but I cannot remember the name of it – I think it is the Thames, but I could be completely and utterly wrong – and probably am).
I am not a big fan of ur-texts, unless of course a friend hands me one to read because they want to publish it (and so far I have only one friend who has actually published something, though he got me to critique the first book, but not the rest). The only ur-texts that I am actually interested in are the ancient ones, such as the ones that you find in ancient Babylon. For instance there are lots of different versions of the Epic of Gilgamesh, though there is one that is generally accepted as the authentic version. Then there are also theories of the ur-text to the Bible, but the thing is that we don't actually have them so any possible texts that arose is mere speculation.
However, when it comes to books like the Bible, the ur-text might actually be substantially bigger than the final proof that we have, and the reason for that is that the editors (Moses when it comes to the first five books) has only brought out the important points that they want to get across. However, I am now thinking that the original texts are not necessarily ur-texts but rather source documents.
As for modern literature, ur-texts can be useful for those who are extensively studying the particular text because it helps us understand how the polished version has come together. However, it can also be useful to aspiring writers in that they can see the rough draft that came before the final product. However some writers don't actually use ur-texts, such as Isaac Asimov, who didn't actually like to plan or rewrite any of his stories. In fact, the one story that he said he put a lot of effort into developing turned out to be really bad. In the end, as I say, each to their own. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Jan 27, 2014 |
I am so glad that I found this before reading the expanded story. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
The original Alice, which somehow seems more akin to a real dream than the story published later. A few things - obvious things - dawned on me that had never occurred to me before, for instance the gardeners being "spades" and the soldiers "clubs". There's no little pig, or Mad Hatter's Tea Party, or Cheshire Cat, but a little dog, the caterpillar, a gryphon and the Mock Turtle.
The accompanying booklet by Sally Brown about Lewis Carroll and his photography is an interesting complement. ( )
  overthemoon | Sep 29, 2013 |
This was the original version of the published Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, presented to the little girl Alice Liddell to whom he had originally narrated his story on a boat trip. It is half the length of the published story and lacks the Cheshire cat and the Mad Hatter's tea party. Carroll's own illustrations are simpler yet in a way more haunting than the more famous Tenniel illustrations. Still very entertaining. 5/5 ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 1, 2012 |
Introduction to 2008 facsimile by Sally Brown -- Describing the inspiration for his magical 'fairy-tale', Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson -- later to be celebrated throughout the world as Lewis Carroll -- wrote in 1888....
Chapter 1 -- Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, and where is the use of a book, thought Alice, without pictures or conversations?
This is the original Alice as presented in manuscript to Alice Liddell - please do not combine with "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

Facsimile of ms.Carroll gave Alice Liddell in 1864. Different in many ways from final Alice. Hand lettering, illustrated by Carroll.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

A facsimile of his original handwritten and illustrated manuscript with a history of how it came to be published. 8 yrs+.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible