The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan by Nancy…

The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan

by Nancy Springer

Series: Enola Holmes Mystery (4)

Enola stumbles onto Lady Cecily in a public lady's restroom and sees that she is in distress. Lady Cecily uses her pink fan - which doesn't at all match her trendy outfit - to send Enola a plea for help. However, before Enola can follow her, she runs into her brother Mycroft - literally, runs into him. She manages to escape him but loses track of Lady Cecily and is at a loss as to how to find her and help her.

Lady Cecily has managed to leave the fan with Enola who deciphers a clue written in code and with invisible ink but the clue is cut short and doesn't give Enola enough information. However, the fan itself does once she tracks down the source of it.

While doing investigating, she stumbles on and rescues her brother Sherlock who has been put on the case by Lady Cecily's mother. They agree to a truce: she'll help him if he doesn't try to catch her and send her to a proper boarding school to be turned into a proper young lady.

The story was exciting and filled with codes, disguises, and various villains who want to force Lady Cecily into an arranged marriage. It takes Sherlock and Enola working together to rescue Cecily. I liked that Sherlock seems to be on her side at the end of this one rather than Mycroft's. I also liked that she is coming to betters terms with the way her mother abandoned her.

Fans of the series won't want to miss this episode but it wouldn't be a good place for a beginner to enter the series. I would recommend starting at the beginning to really get to know Enola and follow her adventures. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 24, 2017 |
Enola was raised a idiosyncratically in an isolated manor house by her mother. When her mother decamped to live her own life, Enola discovered that she too could lead an independent life--but she nevertheless misses her mother terribly. Their only communication since her mother's disappearance is through cyphered messages left in newspapers, but this is enough to buck up Enola's spirits and confidence. Under a variety of disguises she sets herself up as a finder of lost persons. Her latest case: what has become of the aristocratic girl she saved in [b:The case of the Left-handed lady|606926|The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #2)|Nancy Springer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348308364s/606926.jpg|593458]? Her only clue: a cheap pink fan the girl dropped while asking her for help in the rudimentary language of the fan.

It is great fun to watch Enola slip in and out of her variety of guises, and view London from distinctly different points of view. Her complicated feelings for her mother and brothers are particularly well developed in this volume. It is, alas, her brothers that pose the one sticking point I have with the series: both seem rather less astute than usual, and Mycroft in particular is both much less intelligent and far more talkative and active than I'm used to. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
While fourteen-year-old Enola Holmes endeavors to save her friend Lady Cecily Alistair from an unwelcome arranged marriage, she meets with some assistance from her older brother, Sherlock, and interference by the eldest, Mycroft.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
Does it get any better than this? I hadn't read the summary before reading Pink Fan so I was more than pleasantly surprised when I realised (very quickly, the plot starts within the first few pages) that the mystery was deeply connected to a previous book. I enjoy continuity and I enjoy being able to draw upon what I've learned in previous books. The highlight of this installment, however, was when Sherlock and Enola crossed paths. The scene was so good I read it twice. I had no idea this was coming and I found the relationship between the two to be most touching, despite Mycroft and Sherlock's sexism which is nicely debunked once again here.
A complete joy that reinforces my love for Enola. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan by Nancy Springer is the fourth of the Enola Holmes series. It's a follow up to The Case of Left-Handed Lady.

Enola while on an investigation happens to meet up with Lady Cecily. With the help of a cheap pink fan, Cecily begs Enola for help. It doesn't take her long to figure out that Lady Cecily is being kept prisoner somewhere and needs her help again.

The color pink in a Sherlock Holmes adaptation, homage or spinoff is usually a nod to the first of the stories, A Study in Scarlet. Now usually these mysteries focus on the murder with the scrawled message, RACHE. Springer, though, takes the other half of the original as her inspiration — keeping her focus on feminism in the Victorian era — namely the forced marriage of a young woman.

On the personal front, Enola seems to be gaining ground with Sherlock. There's a great scene where Enola has to come to her brother's rescue. While he doesn't completely capitulate to her demands, he does silently agree to be her ally.

It's a short enjoyable edition to the series. It has the usual fun stuff of cyphers, disguises, and secret forms of communication. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 4, 2013 |

Nancy Springerprimary authorall editionscalculated
kellgren, katherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"It has now been more than eight months since the girl went missing ~"

Begins May, 1889.

When Enola Holmes encounters her friend Lady Cecily hiding behind a pink fan, she finds it peculiar. In fact, she realizes Cecily is in danger! But what, exactly, is the matter? And how can Enola help? After examining the clues, Enola discovers Lady Cecily is being held hostage in an abysmal orphanage, and if she isn?t rescued, she?ll be forced into a miserable marriage!

This complicated case has Sherlock and Enola (literally) running into each other all over London. If Enola joins forces with the brother she has fought desperately to elude, she risks her freedom?yet, if she doesn?t, Lady Cecily could be doomed!

Edgar Award?winning Nancy Springer offers the riskiest case yet for our well-loved, critically acclaimed heroine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:14 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,447,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible