The Secret by Julie Garwood

The Secret

by Julie Garwood

Series: Highlands' Lairds (Apr 1992, book 1)

The Hepburn by Jan Westcott (myshelves)
    myshelves: Has plenty of romance, is set in 15th century Scotland, and also has a genuine historical background.

The Secret
4 Stars

Synopsis
Lady Judith Hampton is more than willing to traverse the harsh highlands to keep a childhood promise to be with her best friend during childbirth. However, little has prepared her for the Scottish brute sent to escort her nor for the passion he evokes in her. As Judith and Iain, Laird of the Maitland clan grow closer, Judith fears that the secret of her parentage will ultimately drive them apart.

Review
Engaging characters and a sweet romance with a hunky highlander.

I'm not usually a fan of plots with secrets as they tend to lead to silly and annoying conflicts. That said, the secret here is well done as it never becomes the focus of the story and is resolved in a timely fashion without becoming drawn out and frustrating.

The realistic portrayal of pregnancy and child birth in medieval times as well as the superstition surrounding them is very interesting although infuriating. Unfortunately, some of the other aspects of the setting are not as believable. The language and dialogue as well as some of the social mores are not consistent with the time period - no way would the Maitlands have overcome their prejudice against an English woman so quickly and the clan conflict is completely unrealistic - the 12th/13th century Scots were more a behead first and ask questions later type of people.

The romance is the best part of the book. Iain and Judith have some intense sexual chemistry that builds slowly toward the inevitable explosion and their sharp and witty banter is very entertaining. Judith is a spirited and feisty heroine with backbone of solid steel. Although her perfect beauty and saccharine sweet mannerisms are not that credible, these do not detract from her captivating personality. Iain is the typical strong/silent/arrogant warrior who falls for the only woman that stands up to him - of course, I can never get enough of these so it's all good.

The secondary characters are compelling, especially the elder council who provide some wonderful comic relief, and Broderik the brooding whose book I am looking forward to reading very soon. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This novel is a delightful escape, and a good read for both new and old Julie Garwood fans. Not her best, but definitely not her worst either. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
As soon as I started reading I was sucked right in and greedily devoured every word. The story was a wonderful romance with great friendships and humor. When Iain was going to ask Judith to marry was hysterical. He was thinking how he wanted the words to be something she would remember forever and I bet she will do just that! The words that ended up popping out of his mouth? "Judith, I'm keeping you." oh my god I burst out laughing when I read that it was so funny. Judith was an amazing character and I really loved Iain as well. I wish there was more! This is definitely a book I will end up re-reading. ( )
  SweetLiar | May 5, 2016 |
Loved it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
This was a treat to read because it took me back to when I first was introduced to romance novels. It starts quite innocently, two very young girls becoming friends at a festival. It includes adventure, betrayal, highlanders, English, ignorance, religion, despair, sadness, and triumph, all dipped in romance. ( )
  nikita_writer | Sep 19, 2015 |

Julie Garwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falkenstern, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plasait, CatherineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth Gizella,secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Kerstinsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They became friends before they were old enough to understand they were supposed to hate each other.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671744216, Mass Market Paperback)

Judith Hampton was as beautiful as she was proud and loyal. Her dear Scottish friend from childhood was about to give birth, and Judith had promised to be at her side. But there was another, private reason for the journey from her bleak English home to the Highlands: to meet the father she had never known, the Laird Maclean. Nothing prepared her, however, for the sight of the Scottish barbarian who was to escort her into his land...Iain Maitland, Laird of his clan, a man more powerfully compelling than any she had ever encountered.

In a spirited clash of wills and customs, Judith reveled in the melting bliss of Iain's searching kisses, his passionate caresses. Perplexed by her sprightly defiance, bemused by her tender nature, Iain felt his soul growing into the light and warmth of her love. Surely nothing would wrench her from the affection and trust of Iain and his clan...not even the truth about her father, a devastating secret that could shatter the boldest alliance, and the most glorious of loves!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

Travelling back to Scotland to visit an old friend, Judith Hampton takes the opportunity to meet the father she has never known. Along the way, she falls in love with the Scottish laird Iain Maitland, who tries to shield Judith from the truth about her father, the Laird Maclean.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,096,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible