The Secret by Julie Garwood

The Secret

by Julie Garwood

Series: Highlands' Lairds (Apr 1992, book 1)

Recently added byprivate library, SweetLiar, hpldraspanish, memccauley6, ARRowe, Sandraduky
    The Hepburn by Jan Westcott (myshelves)
    myshelves: Has plenty of romance, is set in 15th century Scotland, and also has a genuine historical background.

As soon as I started reading I was sucked right in and greedily devoured every word. The story was a wonderful romance with great friendships and humor. When Iain was going to ask Judith to marry was hysterical. He was thinking how he wanted the words to be something she would remember forever and I bet she will do just that! The words that ended up popping out of his mouth? "Judith, I'm keeping you." oh my god I burst out laughing when I read that it was so funny. Judith was an amazing character and I really loved Iain as well. I wish there was more! This is definitely a book I will end up re-reading. ( )
  SweetLiar | May 5, 2016 |
Loved it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
This was a treat to read because it took me back to when I first was introduced to romance novels. It starts quite innocently, two very young girls becoming friends at a festival. It includes adventure, betrayal, highlanders, English, ignorance, religion, despair, sadness, and triumph, all dipped in romance. ( )
  nikita_writer | Sep 19, 2015 |
A Great Scottish love story. Gotta love the Scottish man warrior sagas! Francis Catherine (scottish) & Judith (english) meet & became friends as young children before they knew that they were suppose to hate each other. Their friendship continued into adulthood and when Francis Catherine married to the laird's brother gets ready to give birth to her 1st child - her friend Judith travels from England to the highlands to assist her friend where she falls in love with the least likely person but a secret about her family background could destroy any possibility for happiness. (if you like Outlander - you would probably enjoy this one too!0 ( )
  booklovers2 | Jan 28, 2015 |
A story that will make you laugh and cry, easily feeling the heroine’s emotions, is what the author’s historical books are famous for. And I’ve read this one at least a dozen times since it was first released over 20 years ago.

Lady Judith from England promised Frances Catherine from the Scottish Lowlands that she’d be there for the birth of her first child. The best friends haven’t seen each other in 4 years and Frances Catherine is married to a Maitland, a Highlander, whose clan does not like outsiders, much less the English. But Judith is determined to fulfill her promise and spends 2 years learning as much as she can from different midwifes while not actually ever witnessing a birth. A contingency of warriors comes to fetch Judith, led by her friend’s brother-in-law, the Maitland Laird. The two are attracted, but she knows nothing can come of it. The father she’s never met is Laird Mclean, the Maitland’s worst enemy.

The book is loaded with chaotic humor, more so in this story than even the others, as Judith finds a number of things and the way the clan has always lived, are backwards. She’d promised she wouldn’t be a bother or cause a problem with her presence, but you know we wouldn’t have much of a story if that didn’t happen. And it’s all for good.

Judith is both vulnerable in a number of ways, and yet determined to right wrongs or give someone a hand, even when doing so puts her in a really uncomfortable position. The fact that the Maitlands quickly accept her is done in a very believable way. Iain is a gruff character, as often befits the role of Laird. But from the start he’s possessive of Judith even while telling her not to put any meaning to their kisses. It doesn’t take him long to realize he can’t let her go and would walk through purgatory for her.

There are so many books by this author’s early writings that I would highly recommend. If the rating system was up to 10 stars, this is one of the few I’d give a 10 to. Would I feel the same way if I was reading the story now for the first time? The rating would be very good but not quite as high. What we expect and accept in the way two people treat each other has changed over the decades. ( )
  dearheart | Mar 29, 2014 |

Julie Garwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falkenstern, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plasait, CatherineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth Gizella,secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Kerstinsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They became friends before they were old enough to understand they were supposed to hate each other.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671744216, Mass Market Paperback)

Judith Hampton was as beautiful as she was proud and loyal. Her dear Scottish friend from childhood was about to give birth, and Judith had promised to be at her side. But there was another, private reason for the journey from her bleak English home to the Highlands: to meet the father she had never known, the Laird Maclean. Nothing prepared her, however, for the sight of the Scottish barbarian who was to escort her into his land...Iain Maitland, Laird of his clan, a man more powerfully compelling than any she had ever encountered.

In a spirited clash of wills and customs, Judith reveled in the melting bliss of Iain's searching kisses, his passionate caresses. Perplexed by her sprightly defiance, bemused by her tender nature, Iain felt his soul growing into the light and warmth of her love. Surely nothing would wrench her from the affection and trust of Iain and his clan...not even the truth about her father, a devastating secret that could shatter the boldest alliance, and the most glorious of loves!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

Travelling back to Scotland to visit an old friend, Judith Hampton takes the opportunity to meet the father she has never known. Along the way, she falls in love with the Scottish laird Iain Maitland, who tries to shield Judith from the truth about her father, the Laird Maclean.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible