The Velvet Promise by Jude Deveraux

The Velvet Promise (1982)

by Jude Deveraux

Series: Velvet Montgomery Annals (1), Montgomery (2)

I like the character of Judith already; she rather become a prioress (high ranking nun) than get married and "become a servant to a man". I sense the beginnings of a strong woman character.

Judith is turning out to be quite a woman! When she accidentally spies Gavin, newly her husband, and Alice (vindictive, crazy, lover of Gavins) talking she tells Gavin exactly what is on her mind. Judith doesn't run away crying instead she claps and says Alice put on quite a performance and basically how dumb Gavin is for falling for it.

The author does a commendable job with the time period and setting. Ms. Deveraux actually describes the type of dress, housing, and culture she is writing about to help the reader get a good feel for the time, instead of just say "hey it's the 1500s and everyone rides horses, the women wear dresses, and the men carry swords".

I can definitely tell this book was written awhile ago (1981) and their marriage night is less than desirable reading. N.O.W. would probably have some issues with how Gavin treats Judith from time to time, however, considering the time period I can't fault Deveraux too much.

This is decidedly Judith's story, her force of will and strong personality overshadows poor Gavin many times.

For the last half of the book I was practically salivating waiting for Alice to get her comeuppance. It started to get a little ridiculous how blind Gavin was to Alice's true personality (psycho bitch). Hard to have respect for a guy who was pretty oblivious/dumb throughout most the book. In fact it wasn't until the last 5pgs that Gavin finally realized Alice was ka'raaazzzy. Alice snarls and he sees for the first time she has crooked teeth; crooked teeth apparently coincides with evil woman in Gavin's mind.

The ending was so completely abrupt I think I was still like wtf for 10 mins after. This book had some good moments but for the most part I think it is past its prime.

WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Judith is forced to marry Gavin and he isn't too pleased either. Right away though it is clear they could really come to care for one another but Gavin's psychotic ex keeps causing seriously massive problems for the newlyweds. Gavin is oblivious to how truly depraved Alice is which just makes everything worse. There are plenty of twists and turns throughout the story but there is also great love. A wonderful start to the Velvet series. ( )
  SweetLiar | May 5, 2016 |
U doba kraljevine Engleske,dvoraca,grofova i vitezova desio se brak a zatim i ljubav Judit i Gavina, stavljena na mnoge kusnje nasla je nacin da se razvije i opstane... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
I’ve read a couple of romances from the 80’s as of late, but I have to say this is one was so poorly thought out that it was painful to read. The writing wasn’t bad from a technical standpoint, but the story “telling” was awkward and failed to keep me engaged. There was very little showing, unless of course we care about every detail of Judith’s clothing. Who wears fur trimmed undergarments? I was also surprised to learn that “underpants” were a part of womens fashion in 1501. I'm not an expert, but I pretty sure bloomers weren't even around until the late 1800's.

Yes, I’m nitpicking, but that happens when I can’t connect with the story. The characters actions were always over the top, which tends to be a common “thing” with 80’s bodice rippers. I can usually cope, but there were a lot of glitches in the book. I did try, but I could not bring myself to care about a single character. They were clueless, selfish, superficially driven morons.

The hero is a non-hero, a complete azzhat. He was abusive and cruel in just about every way. Other reviewers have said he was “unredeemable.” I couldn’t agree more. He did many things that were unforgivable over the course of the book…okay, okay, nothing is unforgivable, but there is no way these two would have stood a chance at love. All of the male characters think with the wrong...ahem...let's just say they don't think.

Judith was book smart for the times, but I couldn’t get past her attraction to Gavin after he beat and raped her on their wedding night. That just does NOT happen. One minute she hates him, the next she's back in his bed. WTH? The bickering got old fast. It wasn't even witty or fun.

Wish I could give it a higher rating, but I had to force myself to finish it. This one just didn’t work for me. To be fair, I will say it was nice to see at least one of the sub-plot romances succeed. I won’t continue with the series.
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Pure smut. I read it for the sex scenes. :p Her characters are what I'd call Twinkies - too perfect and too beautiful. Totally gross. (Sex wasn't bad. ;) ) ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |

Jude Deverauxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennifer

for melting wax and double Fridays
Judith Revedoune looked across the ledger at her father.

All of England rejoiced on her wedding day. But Lady Judith Revedoune vowed that her husband would get only what he took from her! At the flower-bedecked altar, the first touch of their hands ignited an all-consuming passion. Baron Gavin Montgomery looked deep into her golden eyes and burned with desire for her... but his heart had been pledged to another. Humiliated and alone in a strange castle, Judith resolved to hate this husband who took her body, but rejected her love... never admitting her fear of losing him. But destiny held another fate for Judith... a fate that would keep at last... The Velvet Promise.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671739743, Mass Market Paperback)

All of England rejoiced on her wedding day. But Judith vowed that her husband would get only what he took from her!

At the flower-bedecked altar, the first touch of their hands ignited an all-consuming passion. Gavin Montgomery looked deep into her golden eyes and burned with desire for her...but his heart had been pledged to another.

Humiliated and alone in a strange castle, Judith resolved to hate this husband who took her body, but rejected her love...never admitting her fear of losing him.

But destiny held another fate for Judith...a fate that would keep at last...The Velvet Promise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:22 -0400)

"All of England rejoiced at the marriage of Gavin Montgomery to the heiress Judith--all except Judith herself. At the altar, Gavin looked deep into his bride's eyes and burned with desire for her...but his heart had been pledged to another. Alone in a strange castle, Judith resolved to hate this husband who took her body but rejected her love...though she would never admit her fear of losing him. But destiny held another fate for Judith--a fate more thrilling than she had ever dreamed, and a love that would last a lifetime."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Jude Deveraux is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible