War horse by Michael Morpurgo

War horse (1982)

by Michael Morpurgo

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (kaledrina)
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: A similar tale of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about dogs pulling sleds in the North of America during the goldrush but the strains that the characters (both animals and humans) are under are very similar. I think Morpurgo was obviously drawing inspiration from this book when he wrote WarHorse.… (more)

English (72)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (74)
This was my first book from a horse's point of view and I greatly enjoyed it! This is first and foremost about relationships, necessity, and PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). I recommend to any middle or high school student, plus there's a flim and play! ( )
  KCMartens | Apr 5, 2014 |
Joey is a horse who finds himself on the front lines of war during World War I. Joey and his beloved human companion Albert are separated when Joey is sent off to become a war horse. Albert goes off to war too and they both find themselves wishing for their companionship as they're apart. As fate would have they are reunited in the times of war and hold onto their bond to get them through the end of it.
  psuchilit14 | Mar 16, 2014 |
A remarkable book. Story is told by a horse that is sold to the army in WWI. A great anti war novel without hitting you over the head with it. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Amazing. I have the sequel, Farm Boy to read next. Oddly the book was not like the play which makes me guess that it is not like the movie either. I loved that Joey the horse narrates the whole story. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 11, 2014 |
Joey is taken from his mother at a young age and sold to a harsh man prone to drunkenness. However, his new owner has a son who quickly wins over the young horse, and they become fast friends...until war breaks out.

Much like "Black Beauty", "War Horse" is told from an equine perspective, and is a good solid story. At first I did not think much of this book, but once Joey finds himself in France among the ruin brought about by warfare, I felt the story picked up and I began to appreciate it.

A fulfilling read, and not just for kids. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 5, 2014 |
For Lettice
My earliest memories are a confusion of hilly fields and dark, damp stables, and rats that scampered along the beams above my head.
Author's note: In the old school they use now for the village hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.

Sad book full of ever lasting friendship and sorrow. Probably a drama

A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey.

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:44 -0400)

World War I has started and the military needs horses to move equipment, charge the enemy, and carry wounded soldiers off the battlefield. Joey, a farm horse is sold to the Army. Joey misses the farmer's son, Albert, and spends the war years wondering if the war will ever end and if he will ever see Albert again.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible