War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

War Horse (1982)

by Michael Morpurgo

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (kaledrina)
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: A similar tale of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about dogs pulling sleds in the North of America during the goldrush but the strains that the characters (both animals and humans) are under are very similar. I think Morpurgo was obviously drawing inspiration from this book when he wrote WarHorse.… (more)

English (80)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (82)
War Horse is about a hores called Joey and he was a really bad hores. Not in that bad way but he was not the best horse in the world. Albert the farmers son really loved Joey a lot. Until one day Joeys mom said that they were going to sell that horse beacuse he is not the best. So Joey said can i train him please I want him to stay so they said yes. Albert trained Joey and he was good and he could stay but his dad sold Joey to the army. An Joey Had to go to war and Joey said he want to be in the army so he can be with Joey but he was just 12 years old. An at the end joey thought that the war was going to end. I think that war horse is a okay book. I say this beacuse there is not much drama going on. For a book about war it is not really good for people how like war books. In the begging it was really good but when it got to the end woow. It ended with Joey and he said if he will ever find Albert again. I really dont like that at all not one bit.Why would a book end with that that is only my opinion. Mabye people like thoughs types of book but i dont. So this si may opinion about this book. ( )
  EdselC.B1 | Jan 21, 2015 |
I Loved this book! My favorite part was the fact that the story was told from the perspective of Joey (the horse) BUT it wasn't the typical animals act like humans (anthropomorphic) way of doing it. His perspective was that of a real horse. He doesn't experience emotions the same way that humans do, and he doesn't REALLY understand the depth of what most people are saying to him, but instead interacts with them and feeds off of their body language and tone most of the time. I also like some of the historical references that he makes such as "Some old duke who has been shot at somewhere" (referencing Franz Ferdinand and the shot heard round the world.) The big pictures here are duty and warfare. ( )
  jknuts1 | Oct 24, 2014 |
What an excellent idea for a book! Our main character is Joey, a farm horse, and he is going to war. It certainly turns things around to have a horse tell a war story. And who wouldn’t love having a noble and loyal horse as our main character?

I don’t think I will ever forget that wonderful scene when Joey walks right through No Man’s Land and both sides hold up white handkerchiefs for a temporary halt to gunfire to help the horse. ( )
  debnance | Sep 25, 2014 |
This book is very well-written. It follows a horse through the joys and heartbreaks of travel and family. A great story that really draws you in. 4Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to middle school students. I chose to read this book because I love animals and was captured by the first line, wanting to know more about the gangly colt. IrelandA
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
I've been curious about this book since its dramatization on both stage and film. With this year being the centenary of World War I, it seemed a good time to read it. For a very short book aimed at a young audience, it was surprisingly thought-provoking and moving. Joey, a farm horse, is sold to the British army at the start of the war, leaving the farmer's young son Albert behind. Joey serves as a cavalry horse and an artillery horse, and experiences the war from both the British and German sides. He is affected by both human and animal loss, due to combat and poor living conditions.

The story is told entirely from Joey's perspective. Some events are only loosely explained, because Joey doesn't fully understand what is happening around him. The spare narrative actually heightens the emotional impact for the reader, making this book a unique way to expose the folly of war. ( )
  lauralkeet | Aug 3, 2014 |
For Lettice
My earliest memories are a confusion of hilly fields and dark, damp stables, and rats that scampered along the beams above my head.
Author's note: In the old school they use now for the village hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Sad book full of ever lasting friendship and sorrow. Probably a drama

A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey.

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:44 -0400)

World War I has started and the military needs horses to move equipment, charge the enemy, and carry wounded soldiers off the battlefield. Joey, a farm horse is sold to the Army. Joey misses the farmer's son, Albert, and spends the war years wondering if the war will ever end and if he will ever see Albert again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,562,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible