War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

War Horse (1982)

by Michael Morpurgo

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (kaledrina)
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: A similar tale of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about dogs pulling sleds in the North of America during the goldrush but the strains that the characters (both animals and humans) are under are very similar. I think Morpurgo was obviously drawing inspiration from this book when he wrote WarHorse.… (more)

English (85)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (87)
This story was told by "Joey" a horse and the main character in the story. Joey, a very young horse, is purchased by a farmer at an auction who really can not afford him. His son, Albert, loves him, trains him, is raised with him and thinks of him as his own. When war breaks out, Albert's dad is in danger of losing the farm, so he sells Joey to the calvary. Joey becomes a warhorse. The rest of the story is his trials and tribulations while at war and his "owner's" stories as well. Albert, who was too young to join the military when Joey was sold, never gives up hope that he will find Joey and bring him home. A story of war told from a totally different perspective which may bring tears to your eyes. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
A story about the love between a boy and his horse. The power of love and respect. In 1914 Joey a young Farm horse is sold to the army. He witnesses both sides of World War 1 on the battle fields in France. An interesting highlight of the passing of time, how technology changed the way war was navigated. The new roles a horse had. High lights the human side of both sides in the war. Interesting to read through the eyes of the horse. ( )
  Breony | Aug 3, 2015 |
Joey is the War Horse in the title and we read this story as told in his voice. Wait … wait … before you roll your eyes and brush this off as another book narrated by an animal (granted there has been a glut lately) or think ala Mr. Ed, realize this book was first published in 1982. Sold into army use Joey is sent away from the farm and from his young friend Albert. Confiscated by the Germans and traveling through France Joey has many tales to tell about WW1. Meanwhile Albert has come of age and enlists for the sole purpose of hopefully, against insurmountable odds, reuniting with Joey.

When I saw the previews for the recent movie based on this book I knew I would not be going to see it, but I was sufficiently intrigued by the story to read the book. I am certainly glad I did. What a wonderfully told story of a difficult time in history, with moments of tenderness and humanity, reminding us that there are good people … and horses … everywhere no matter what the circumstance.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
War Horse is a wonderful children's book and I really wish I had read it when I was younger. I feel I would have liked it a lot more although it was still an enjoyable and interesting read.

War Horse is Joey's story from Joey's point of view and this is gives such a unique aspect to the story. It gives a completely different insight into World War I and you don't often hear of how an animal suffers during war. Joey's viewpoint also showed how quickly things could change during the war. He himself experiences the war from both sides and to him the English and the Germans don't seem different at all. To Joey there was no wrong side of the war. Work was work and Joey would have happily worked for either side along as he was treated with dignity.

War Horse is a pretty fast paced novel with four years of war condensed into 182 pages. There was always something major happening and this meant it was a very fast read. However, I do think some parts could have been fleshed out a bit more.For instance, characters would appear and then disappear again in, what felt like, an instant.

I feel that War Horse is a nice introduction to war and loss for children. I would definitely recommend War Horse to children around the age of 9 to 12. It's simple and puts a difficult subject into an easy to read format for younger reads. It was perhaps to simple for me but I would have absolutely loved this if I had read it when I was younger. This isn't the first Michael Morpurgo book I have read but it has been years and I'm to sure whether I will read one again - I now feel too old for them. ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Jul 1, 2015 |
Beautifully written. A simple story that tells itself. ( )
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
For Lettice
My earliest memories are a confusion of hilly fields and dark, damp stables, and rats that scampered along the beams above my head.
Author's note: In the old school they use now for the village hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Sad book full of ever lasting friendship and sorrow. Probably a drama

A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey.

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:24 -0400)

World War I has started and the military needs horses to move equipment, charge the enemy, and carry wounded soldiers off the battlefield. Joey, a farm horse is sold to the Army. Joey misses the farmer's son, Albert, and spends the war years wondering if the war will ever end and if he will ever see Albert again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible