Cavall de guerra by Michael Morpurgo

Cavall de guerra (original 1982; edition 2011)

by Michael Morpurgo, Mercè Santaulària (Translator)

Member:sora91
Title:Cavall de guerra
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Other authors:Mercè Santaulària (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Estrella Polar, 2011
Collections:Leídos, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:català, juvenil

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo (1982)

Recently added bym_k_m, Sbegumc, private library, brokenangelkisses, flisle, Marie_Powell, AndersenSchool
    Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (kaledrina)
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: A similar tale of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about dogs pulling sleds in the North of America during the goldrush but the strains that the characters (both animals and humans) are under are very similar. I think Morpurgo was obviously drawing inspiration from this book when he wrote WarHorse.… (more)

English (99)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All (101)
A good reputation can be a terrible thing. All I really knew about War Horse before reading it (apart from that it was about war and a horse) was that it was just about the best thing that would ever happen to me in my entire life.

Sadly it wasn't. It wasn't bad, it was very nicely written and made me freshly appreciate the development of warfare over the course of the First World War (particularly the early, pre-trench period that is often passed over) but I didn't feel any special appreciation of it. Clearly the problem is with me; it works for a lot of other people – it works a lot – so the question isn't why the book fails but why I failed to click with it.

For a start I'm not that mad on horses. They're excellent at pulling things and looking majestic in adverts for building societies, but I think I lack the romantic idea of animals that you need to favour their viewpoint over that of the many young men being slaughtered around them. Maybe it's the country boy in me. I read Watership Down last year and enjoyed it a lot more, but because I enjoy stories of post-apocalyptic survival not rabbits.

It could also be that this is aimed at fresh young minds who haven't already been told a hundred stories of the First World War. But that seems patronising and unfair. Winnie-the-Pooh, Roald Dahl and The Chronicles of Narnia are all terrific books regardless of your age; the children's authors who fail are those who speak down to their audience, and Michael Morpurgo certainly isn't doing that.

I wonder if there's also a degree of information feedback going on. So much of the originating praise for War Horse seems to come from the stage adaptation (which I'm still assured is just about the best thing that will ever happen to me in my entire life) and it's easy for that to inform opinions of the book as well. But the two are separate texts; that's why you have to pay twice for them on Amazon. Plays articulate ideas through metaphor, staging and stylisation (that famous horse puppetry) that is largely absent in the book. Perhaps I'd enjoy the play more.

And, of course, there's the burden of expectation. A book would have to be The Great Gatsby to hold up to the level of anticipation the world had instilled in me when I came to War Horse, and any book that isn't The Great Gatsby is going to suffer from that.

War Horse isn't bad: it's just not War Horse. ( )
  m_k_m | Apr 24, 2017 |
Listened to the audio book with my older son. He's interested in WWI right now. Well done characterizations and a fairly quick pace kept us both interested. The narrator of the audio edition was very good as well, doing the different accents and tones of voice. ( )
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
As I began reading the book, I had a little trouble with the point of view being that of a horse. I got used to it and became engrossed in the war and the story from the mind of a horse. It is very much a bitter sweet story. It takes place during WWI and during war, tragedy abounds.
At the end of the book the military stance concerning the horses made me think back to the military stance on bomb sniffing dogs after the Vietnam War. I won't elaborate because it would be a spoiler.
I think this book will translate very well into a motion picture coming out Christmas Day.

The author also wrote another favorite book of mine entitled Private Peaceful. "When Thomas Peaceful's older brother is forced to join the British Army, Thomas decides to sign up as well, although he is only fourteen years old, to prove himself to his country, his family, his childhood love, Molly, and himself" Also takes place during WWI

following review is from www.scholastic.com

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again? ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I am generally not a fan of books with animals as the protagonist (there are a few exceptions), but this one was actually very educational. It really opened my eyes to a side of WWI that I never knew about. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 2, 2016 |
Tried - couldn't do it. Too sad and not even half way through it.
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |

Michael Morpurgoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morpurgo, MichaelOriginal novelsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Place, FrancoisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lettice
My earliest memories are a confusion of hilly fields and dark, damp stables, and rats that scampered along the beams above my head.
Author's note: In the old school they use now for the village hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.
This is the entry for the original, unabridged text; please don't combine with movie/play adaptions!
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Sad book full of ever lasting friendship and sorrow. Probably a drama

A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:24 -0400)

World War I has started and the military needs horses to move equipment, charge the enemy, and carry wounded soldiers off the battlefield. Joey, a farm horse is sold to the Army. Joey misses the farmer's son, Albert, and spends the war years wondering if the war will ever end and if he will ever see Albert again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,781,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible