Cavall de guerra by Michael Morpurgo

Cavall de guerra (original 1982; edition 2011)

by Michael Morpurgo, Mercè Santaulària (Translator)

Member:sora91
Title:Cavall de guerra
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Other authors:Mercè Santaulària (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Estrella Polar, 2011
Collections:Leídos, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:català, juvenil

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo (1982)

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (kaledrina)
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: A similar tale of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about dogs pulling sleds in the North of America during the goldrush but the strains that the characters (both animals and humans) are under are very similar. I think Morpurgo was obviously drawing inspiration from this book when he wrote WarHorse.… (more)

English (97)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (99)
I am generally not a fan of books with animals as the protagonist (there are a few exceptions), but this one was actually very educational. It really opened my eyes to a side of WWI that I never knew about. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 2, 2016 |
Tried - couldn't do it. Too sad and not even half way through it.
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
A powerful read about a horse and his boy. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
A fine children's book that I'm just too old to appreciate properly. Speaking as an adult it was a two-star reading experience, but I gave it three-stars because I know I'm not its intended audience. I think if I'd been exposed to this ten or fifteen years ago it would have been one of my favourite books. But as a guy in my twenties, it's just written too simply and sentimentally to beat through my cynical adult exterior. I appreciated the anti-war message and if there's one thing which can always pluck the heartstrings of any age group, it's the suffering of animals. But the War Horse book is aimed solely at children, and I'd recommend the much more rounded film adaptation by Steven Spielberg – the cavalry charge sequence with Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch is excellently done – for adults who want to really engage with the story. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
Brilliant story told brilliantly. ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |

Michael Morpurgoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Place, FrancoisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lettice
My earliest memories are a confusion of hilly fields and dark, damp stables, and rats that scampered along the beams above my head.
Author's note: In the old school they use now for the village hall, below the clock that has stood always at one minute past ten, hangs a small dusty painting of a horse.
This is the entry for the original, unabridged text; please don't combine with movie/play adaptions!
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Sad book full of ever lasting friendship and sorrow. Probably a drama

A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey.

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:24 -0400)

World War I has started and the military needs horses to move equipment, charge the enemy, and carry wounded soldiers off the battlefield. Joey, a farm horse is sold to the Army. Joey misses the farmer's son, Albert, and spends the war years wondering if the war will ever end and if he will ever see Albert again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,316,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible