To Lie with Lions by Dorothy Dunnett

To Lie with Lions

by Dorothy Dunnett

Recently added byprivate library, CDVicarage, multilingualmaid, pcollins, kyriacarlisle, Bribak, sheiladh

Loved the whole series! ( )
  kmdelmara | Mar 4, 2014 |
Dorothy Dunnett is really testing her readers now! How much can you enjoy a book when you like the main character less and less? Turns out, quite a lot :) I started this book pro-Nicholas and anti-Gelis, and by the end I was a lot more pro-Gelis, and, while not exactly anti-Nicholas, I felt like he had to make some amends, just like everyone else! The ending was great, I didn't see Gelis's revelation coming, but I kind of guessed that Nicholas would be on top of it.

This was the first time I got the sense that Dunnet is hurling Nicholas around Europe to have him witness significant events of the period, but that said, I really loved the Iceland bits, more than anything that happened in Scotland, I just wished they were more of the book.

I've already started 'Caprice and Rondo'. I haven't enjoyed the last two books as much as the four before them, but I'm desperate to find out what's been going on all this time, so I'm ploughing on! I hope the form picks up a bit, though. ( )
  Yarrow | Feb 7, 2014 |
While the climax lacked the sheer emotional punch of a certain book in the Lymond series, To Lie with Lions's conclusion is still one calculated to make your jaw drop at the sheer scale of Dunnett's plotting. Nicholas might well be on a course to surpass Lymond in magnificent bastardlyness (yes, that's now a word). Gelis and Nicholas' relationship is a startling war of attrition that's as gripping to read about as it is exhausting for them to experience, and I'm very glad that I have Caprice and Rondo to hand—I really want to see how Dunnett is going to let this cliffhanger play out. ( )
  siriaeve | May 21, 2009 |
From Publishers Weekly: "From Publishers Weekly: "Nicholas de Fleury, cosmopolitan merchant banker of late-15th century Venice, burgher of Bruges, master manipulator who craves absolute personal power, stands at the dawn of the modern age, shedding light on our own. In this sixth engrossing installment of her House of Niccolo saga (following The Unicorn Hunt), Scottish novelist Dunnett focuses on her scheming, autocratic, charming hero's startlingly modern open marriage to quick-witted, self-sufficient Gelis van Borselen. It's a war of wills, egos and attrition that erupts in 1471 as de Fleury (aka Nicholas vander Poele) snatches his infant son, Jordan, from Gelis's arms and kidnaps the boy, a pawn in a bitter power struggle that will take the lives of friends and rivals. Nicholas, who often resembles a mercenary or soldier of fortune more than he does a banker, serves multiple masters, working secretly for French King Louis XI while openly advising Charles, Duke of Burgundy and Scottish King James III. With her usual dramatic flair, Dunnett mixes historical and fictive characters in a tale that sweeps from Venice to Antwerp, Edinburgh, Iceland, France and Cyprus, where Nicholas undertakes a diplomatic mission to James de Lusignan, King of Jerusalem, Cyprus and Armenia. High adventure, high finance, war, piracy and royal intrigue enliven a historical romance that seems unerringly realistic in its quicksilver evocation of a world where happiness is fleeting and usually unexpected."
  kristian_m | Sep 13, 2006 |

Has as a reference guide/companion

With the bravura storytelling and pungent authenticity of detail she brought to her acclaimed Lymond Chronicles, Dorothy Dunnett, grande dame of the historical novel, presents The House of Niccolò series. The time is the 15th century, when intrepid merchants became the new knighthood of Europe. Among them, none is bolder or more cunning than Nicholas vander Poele of Bruges, the good-natured dyer's apprentice who schemes and swashbuckles his way to the helm of a mercantile empire.

The year is 1471. Within the circus of statecraft, where the lions of Burgundy, Cyprus, England, and Venice stalk and snarl, Nicholas wields a valued whip. Having wrested his little son Jordan from his estranged wife, Gelis, he embarks on the greatest business scheme of his life-- beginning with a journey to Iceland. But while Nicholas confronts merchant knights, polar bears, and the frozen volcanic wastelands of the North, a greater challenge awaits: the vengeful Gelis, whose secrets threaten to topple all Nicholas has achieved. Here is Dorothy Dunnett at her best. Robustly paced, prodigiously detailed, To Lie with Lions renders the quicksands of Renaissance politics as well as the turnings of the human soul, from love to hate and back.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:12 -0400)

A power conflict between a husband and wife against the background of 15th Century politics. He is Nicholas de Fleury, adventurer and banker to kings, she is Gelis van Borselen, a financier in her own right, and they have been at odds since their wedding night. A tale of intrigue, piracy and kidnaping.… (more)

37 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,507,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible