Strong Medicine by Arthur Hailey

Strong Medicine (edition 1984)

by Arthur Hailey

Member:DetailMuse
Title:Strong Medicine
Authors:Arthur Hailey
Info:Doubleday (1984), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, Medicine, Pharmaceutical Industry, TBRstarted, a?, preLT

Strong Medicine by Arthur Hailey

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  German (1)  All (5)
I picked this book up in a thrift shop because I remembered reading and enjoying it years ago. I thought it would be like reading an episode of 'Mad Men' - all retro and the like.

It wasn't actually anything like that. I didn't get that 'retro' feel because it wasn't. There were no pretty lights and shadows to cover up the fact that this book was misogynistic, homophobic and racist and that, in 1984 that was okay. I suppose the storytelling was interesting enough - it follows the story of Celia Jordan - a woman who, against all odds, rises to the top of her profession in the pharmaceutical industry. We follow the development of new drugs - the testing, the approval, the success and occasionally the spectacular failure. I'm thinking that a modern retelling of a story on this topic could very well be worth reading - this version is no longer the correct vehicle for this story. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Feb 8, 2017 |
A book I've read in Dutch as a teenager and back then liked it a lot. Received an English copy from my cousin so I thought let's give it a try and I still enjoyed the read. Just an easy read. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Explore the secretive pharmaceutical industry with the women and men who control it in Strong Medicine, the newest blockbuster by Arthur Hailey. Celia de Gray makes inroads as the first saleswoman for Felding-Roth Pharmaceutical Company, but uncovers scandals, including inadequate testing of new prescription drugs and false advertising. She finds that her work, and her marriage to Dr. Andrew Jordan, pose difficult choices she didn't expect. The best-selling author of Hotel and Airport, Hailey here unlocks the doors of the giant drug industry for a frank revealing glimpse of drugs, discoveries, deals, and deceptions. Written after three years of research, Strong Medicine is both a love story and a glimpse of the miracles and money that can possibly be made in the world of experimental drugs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

The story of a strong woman whose career involves her in the business of pharmaceuticals and of the gambles she must take to reach the 1st rung of power.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,322,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible