Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher, No. 13) by Lee…

Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher, No. 13) (2009)

by Lee Child

Title:Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher, No. 13)
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Delacorte Press (no date), Hardcover, 432 pages

Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child (2009)

The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille (BeckyJG)
    Rain Fall by Barry Eisler (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: John Rain is a hero who is similar in many ways to Jack Reacher. A man of action and of few words, deep, lonely (even if he doesn't realize it). Rain is perhaps more morally ambiguous than Reacher; both kill without hesitation and little remorse, but Rain is, after all, an assassin, and gets paid to do so.… (more)

English (86)  Dutch (2)  All languages (88)
Slow getting started for me, but around page 120, it really picked up and was hard to put down. What kept me from really liking it was the main character, Jack Reacher. Yes, I realize this is like the 13th Reacher books, so I'm probably one of the few who don't like him, but he is so arrogant and cocky. It was hard for me to like him. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Review: GONE TOMORROW by Lee Child. An absolute great book. It’s a non-stop page thriller. It’s full of mystery, suspense, deceit, terrorism, haunting nerve-wracking murders, and an insanely fast paced thriller.

The story begins with Jack Reacher an ex-military cop riding a NewYork City subway car with the thoughts that suicide bombers are easy to spot. At one time Israeli counterintelligence wrote the defensive playbook. They used pragmatic observation and psychological insight and came up with a list of behavioral indicators. Eleven points for women and twelve points for men suicide bombers. He looked around and studied his co-passengers. One women sitting alone was seven points out of eleven marked as a suicide bomber.
1. Inappropriate clothing
9. Mumbled prayers
10. Carrying a large canvas bag with pockets
11. Hands in bag
12. ---
Jack Reacher moved slowly closer to her. He was pretty sure of his intuition of her character. He talked to her gently having small talk contact with her. When he thought he had things under control he asked her to show him what was in the bag. He watched, no battery, no wires, no switch, no button, and no plunger…..The woman had a gun in her hand. She was pointing it straight at him. His thoughts were bouncing like ping balls. In the seconds ticking before him she raised the gun to her chin high, like a proud, obstinate gesture. She put the muzzle into the soft flesh beneath it. Then she pulled the trigger and blew her own head off……..This was done only within the first few pages of the book.

It gets better….The story goes on to many more criminal acts spiraling off from the woman’s suicide. The best part is to come….There were also horrific gruesome slayings explained what was being done written before my eyes. I could only glance at the words until my stomach calmed down. However, I did turn back to the page and read about the bloody slayings once again and got the whole picture………There wasn’t any stopping to take a breath…..It was a book of hyperactive criminal action around every corner…. murders after murders….. A highly recommended book ….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Jack outwits Al Queda, Homeland Security, FBI, and NYPD finding out why a woman killed herself on a subway car (as he watched). ( )
  laureyd | Mar 27, 2016 |
best one so far. ( )
  mark-f-r-ritchie | Feb 19, 2016 |
Had one of the best starts to a novel I have ever read. I love the way he figures things out and then just puts it out there like anyone else could have done it when no one else would have. I never watched MacGuyver, in fact I probably didn't even spell it right, but Jack Reacher is my literary MacGuyver. He can do anything! ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
The precise maneuvers... illustrate why Mr. Child is so good at what he does. But what is he doing? “Gone Tomorrow” has such a case of villain inflation that it involves itself in global geopolitics on the highest order. One step higher into the upper reaches of evildoing and Mr. Child could find himself on the moon.
For my sisters-in-law, Leslie and Sally, two women of rare charm and quality
Suicide bombers are easy to spot. They give out all kinds of telltale signs. Mostly because they're nervous. By definition they're all first-timers.
Please do not combine Lee Child's 13th Jack Reacher novel, Gone Tomorrow with his 10th Jack Reacher novel, The Hard Way. This LT work uses ISBN 376450238X, which is associated with the German translation of The Hard Way. Thank you.

The 13th book in the Reacher series finds Jack Reacher in a Manhattan subway at 2 am where an ordinary looking passenger leads to out of the ordinary danger.

In this 13th Reacher novel, the former army MP confronts a possible suicide bomber on a nearly deserted Manhattan subway car -- a confrontation that will lead him back to the Soviet war in Afghanistan in the 1980s and forward to the war on terrorism. It turns out that Susan Mark's life was critical to dozens of others in Washington, California, and Afghanistan ... from a former Delta Force operator now running for the U.S. Senate to a beautiful young woman with a story to tell, but can Reacher sort through their lies in time to save himself and help a woman police officer.… (more)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,740,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible