Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child

Gone Tomorrow (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Lee Child

Member:othersam
Title:Gone Tomorrow
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam Press (2009), Hardcover, 448 pages

Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child (2009)

The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille (BeckyJG)
    A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: John Rain is a hero who is similar in many ways to Jack Reacher. A man of action and of few words, deep, lonely (even if he doesn't realize it). Rain is perhaps more morally ambiguous than Reacher; both kill without hesitation and little remorse, but Rain is, after all, an assassin, and gets paid to do so.… (more)

English (92)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (96)
Starts with a suspected suicide bomber then gets a little more complicated! ( )
  libgirl69 | Oct 3, 2018 |
I liked this book a lot more than the others I have read in the Reacher series. The beginning of the book was a little slow but I get why, gotta build up to the second half where all the action is. and BOY is their action! It was nicer to see him in a city setting especially New York. He is hunting down suicide bombers in this one after a situation at the beginning on the subway. Subways are a massive joke to me, the one time I rode one I got sick. Too small of a space. This book was very realistic. Overall great writing, great storyline. It redeemed itself with his series for me, I was starting to give up. ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
A complete popcorn read. I mean you have to immediately not think too hard about how Reacher constantly stumbles into these major conspiracies. It moves fast and furious. I do wish authors would stop the stupid cliche of having a villain drop their gun and fight hand to hand. Really, I don't think so. They are terrorists they are just going to shoot you. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Like John Sanford, Lee child is one of the authors I have wanted to try for a while now but never seemed to get around to reading. When Gone Tomorrow came my way, I couldn't resist--even if it meant jumping into a series 13 books in. Fortunately, Gone Tomorrow is one of those series books that stands alone just fine. Although, I have to admit that I'm even more curious about Jack Reacher's past now. Imagine living your life in such simplicity that you travel at will, have no home, no luggage, with just a toothbrush and your wallet in your pocket.

That's the way we first meet Jack Reacher in Gone Tomorrow. Ex-military, he is extremely skilled and observant. And so when he oberves a lone woman sitting in a subway car, meeting the criteria of a possible suicide bomber, Reacher has no choice but to take notice. After mulling the idea of what to do over in his head, he approaches the woman cautiously, not sure what to expect.

From that moment on, the story that unfolds is full of unexpected twists and turns and multi-layered. Reacher finds himself the target of both the bad and the good guys. The novel reminded me of a Greg Rucka novel, with the tough, no nonsense hero at its helm. It's purely entertaining even if not entirely believable--and that's okay. It was easy to fall into Jack Reacher's world for a short while and ride the subways of New York along with him. I was hooked from page one.

At this point, I am not really sure what I think of Jack Reacher himself. I would like to have seen a more vulnerable side to him, I think. There is no doubt he is intelligent. He does his own thing, no matter the consequences, wanting to get to the truth of a situation. He is just as likely to use his brain as his fist, and there's no shortage of good fight scenes in the book. He definitely isn't someone I would want to mess with--or necessarily invite over for lunch.

As much fun as I had reading Gone Tomorrow, I cannot say whether or not this will become a series I will love. I am eager to start with book one in the series, however. I have a feeling Jack will grow on me, and I hear those earlier books in the series are not to be missed.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
Maybe it was because this was written in the first person, but I liked it a lot more than the other Reacher thrillers I've read (Killing Floor, A Wanted Man). The characters were interesting and I couldn't always guess what they might do. Several months after reading it, I can still recall elements of the plot and the emotions they evoked. This, to me, is a sign of a good book. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |
The precise maneuvers... illustrate why Mr. Child is so good at what he does. But what is he doing? “Gone Tomorrow” has such a case of villain inflation that it involves itself in global geopolitics on the highest order. One step higher into the upper reaches of evildoing and Mr. Child could find himself on the moon.

For my sisters-in-law, Leslie and Sally, two women of rare charm and quality
Suicide bombers are easy to spot. They give out all kinds of telltale signs. Mostly because they're nervous. By definition they're all first-timers.
Please do not combine Lee Child's 13th Jack Reacher novel, Gone Tomorrow with his 10th Jack Reacher novel, The Hard Way. This LT work uses ISBN 376450238X, which is associated with the German translation of The Hard Way. Thank you.

The 13th book in the Reacher series finds Jack Reacher in a Manhattan subway at 2 am where an ordinary looking passenger leads to out of the ordinary danger.

In this 13th Reacher novel, the former military police major and notorious drifter Jack Reacher grows suspicious of a fellow subway passenger as their train approaches Grand Central Station in New York City. As a shady situation develops, Reacher debates between intervening to save surrounding lives or avoiding the predicament in order to save his own. He confronts a suicide bomber on the nearly deserted Manhattan subway car--a confrontation that will lead him back to the Soviet war in Afghanistan in the 1980s and forward to the war on terrorism as he tracks down and eliminates the bad guys.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,187,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible