Who Was George Washington? by Roberta…

Who Was George Washington? (edition 2009)

by Roberta Edwards, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator), True Kelley (Illustrator)

Series: Who Was...

Member:jillian.g
Title:Who Was George Washington?
Authors:Roberta Edwards
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator), True Kelley (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2009), Paperback, 112 pages
Collections:TED 255
Rating:***
Tags:biography

Who Was George Washington? by Roberta Edwards

Who was George Washington? By Roberta Edwards
Summary- This is one book out of the “who was” series. This book is about the first president George Washington. I give you facts about George Washington’s life, such as where he grew up, his childhood, his role in the revolutionary war, the he never did not want to be president and many more facts about this life.

Personal reaction.- This would be a great book for younger reader that were doing any type of research project. I remember reading a lot of the “who was” series when I was younger. This book gives facts about George Washington’s life in an interesting way that appeals to children.

Classroom extensions
1.“Who was…”- Allow the students to pick a person (or group) for the Who was series, to write a short research paper over. After the read the book have them get in groups and tell the other people of the group about what they have learned about the person they research.
2.“if I were president”- Have the students write about some of the thin g they would do if they were the President of the United States.
  Sarah0423 | Apr 16, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is gives good information about george washington. It gives facts about his life that are actually really interesting. Such as his mother being awful, so awful that he didn't introduce her to his wife, He never had wooden teeth, and he didn't even want to be president. This is perfect for younger kids to read. It is easily understandable and has fun facts.

Personal Reaction:
I wish I had read these books when I was younger. They have a lot of basic but good information in them. There are several different people these "who was" books are about and I think they would be awesome for younger students.

Classroom Extension Idea:
-Each student picks a person from the "Who Was" books and presents as that person.
- Make a trivia game with random fun facts and students have to guess who the fact is about.
  Megan_Livsey | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary of Book: This book is about the first President of the United States, George Washington. The book makes it easy for young readers to become familiar with George Washington and for young readers to get insight on his life. This book includes Washington's childhood, where he grew up, what he did during the Revolutionary War. The reader will also learn how he become our first President.

Personal Reaction: This book is a good book for young readers to learn about the life of George Washington. I liked how this book contained pictures that the reader can refer to while reading about Washington while he was young all the way through to how he become our first President. The book contained a lot of information but was not to long to read, which gives all readers a chance to learn about one of our most famous Presidents.

Classroom Extension: 1) Have students draw a picture of George Washington.
2) Have students write about something new they learned about George Washington.
  ah932109 | Apr 11, 2015 |
Great story about the first president! Very informative!
  kelskemp | Nov 25, 2014 |
This book is about George Washington. This book show you things you might know about George, like he lived at Mount Vernon. if you love H.G. you'll love this!!! ( )
  SethKim | Nov 8, 2013 |

In 1789, George Washington became the first president of the United States. He has been called the father of our country for leading America through its early years. Washington also served in two major wars during his lifetime: the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. With over 100 black-and-white illustrations, Washington's fascinating story comes to life - revealing the real man, not just the face on the dollar bill!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:25 -0400)

"In 1789, George Washington became the first president of the United States. He has been called the father of our country for leading America through its early years. Washington also served in two major wars during his lifetime: the French and Indian War and the American Revolution"… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,173,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible