Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer…

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within (original 1986; edition 2016)

by Natalie Goldberg (Author), Julia Cameron (Foreword)

Member:AIRCislamabad
Title:Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
Authors:Natalie Goldberg (Author)
Other authors:Julia Cameron (Foreword)
Info:Shambhala (2016), Edition: Anniversary, 260 pages

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg (1986)

On Writing by Stephen King (VictoriaPL)
    If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland (Z-Ryan)
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki (sturlington)
    sturlington: Goldberg is a practicing Buddhist. Her book references this one, and both are structured in a similar way and focus on the concept of practice.

English (68)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
This is not a book on the technical aspects of writing; however the author helps the reader to overcome their writer's block, encourages individuals to write about the things that matter to them. Her advice and insights about writing encourages a spiritual practice. Recommended as a bedside read. ( )
  jakohnen | Sep 13, 2018 |
A great read about writing and developing the mindset. It doesn't teach you the craft but prepares you for the life of a writer.

http://onerightword.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/a-fantastic-read-for-those-into.html ( )
1 vote ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
This is an inspiring book if you want to write. The focus isn't on the actual "how to write a sentence" type of material, but more on how to fit writing into your life and how to come up with ideas and a process to keep writing. Natalie Goldberg was the narrator and I loved listening to her voice. ( )
  christinegrabowski | Apr 25, 2018 |
This is a great work on writing that's rooted in principles lifted from Zen Buddhism. I read it when I was a teenager, and it really helped me get a grip on my writing. I've been thinking that I need to read it again. I've had so much technical training in writing now that I really need to start getting back to the pure principles. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
Goldberg does lapse into occasionally trite cheerleading, as some reviewers have said; it makes me feel like she might stand up every few minutes and applaud the fact that you've produced any writing at all, and this can at times feel precious. But if you're lacking in confidence and haven't given yourself permission to write for a variety of reasons, and need some hand-holding (and who doesn't, really), this book is what I would recommend to dip into, on and off. Taken in small doses it feels nurturing and safe. Which is what some writers need to get started. (And perhaps to continue.) ( )
1 vote subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |
For all my students past, present, and future and for Kate Green and Barbara Schmitz.

May we all meet in heaven cafe writing for eternity.
Foreword:

Some years ago, while cleaning out my grandmother's attic, I came across this motto encased in an old oak picture frame: Do Your Work As Well As You Can and Be Kind.
Introduction:

I was a goody-two-shoes all through school.
This is why it is good to remember: if you want to get high, don’t drink whiskey; read Shakespeare, Tennyson, Keats, Neruda, Hopkins, Millay, Whitman, aloud and let your body sing.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0877733759, Paperback)

Wherein we discover that many of the "rules" for good writing and good sex are the same: Keep your hand moving, lose control, and don't think. Goldberg brings a touch of both Zen and well... *eroticism* to her writing practice, the latter in exercises and anecdotes designed to ease you into your body, your whole spirit, while you create, the former in being where you are, working with what you have, and writing from the moment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

Offers advice on writing creatively, discusses the importance of discipline, and suggests writing exercises.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible