Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer…

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within (Shambhala Library) (original 1986; edition 2010)

by Natalie Goldberg

Member:EmmeA
Title:Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within (Shambhala Library)
Authors:Natalie Goldberg
Info:Shambhala (2010), Edition: 1 Expanded, Hardcover, 288 pages

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg (1986)

On Writing by Stephen King (VictoriaPL)
    If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland (Z-Ryan)
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki (sturlington)
    sturlington: Goldberg is a practicing Buddhist. Her book references this one, and both are structured in a similar way and focus on the concept of practice.

She has some good ideas for helping break through a writer's block, but I've seen better books with more exercises. The book was very poorly organized--a series of vingettes without any rhyme or reason connecting them. Some of the "chapters" are tips for writers, some are actual writing exercises. As a new writer, I found a lot of the tips helpful, but if I was a publisher, I never would have given it the time of day. Clearly she does not see the value of outlining. After reading this, I'm craving the perspective of someone as logical as I am. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
I read maybe half of this ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
I slowly read this a few chapters at a time. It really inspired me to do some writing which is something I've always wanted to try but for various unexplainable reasons never did. Goldberg's writing and personal stories help to inspire and free you from any preconceived notion of what a writer or writing is or should be. Very good book! ( )
  cknick | Dec 14, 2016 |
One of the first and best books on the writing process and what it means, on every level, to be a writer that I've ever read. It helps that Natalie is from Long Island, like I am, and that the book in infused with Buddhist thought, a tradition from which I draw a lot of strenght and inspiration.

I actually stole my paper copy from a friend. (Hi Cathy!). That was about 20 years ago. I should probably get her another one. ( )
  A.E.Wasp | Apr 20, 2016 |
One of the first, and still one of the best, books on writing and the writing life that I have ever read. Goldberg combines her Zen lessons with exercises to help you unlock the heart of the writer. It's a book about the heart and soul of writing, more than anything to do with technique or sales or plotting. It is how to live with this crazy, unruly, painful writer's brain that we were born with. ( )
  A.E.Wasp | Apr 20, 2016 |
For all my students past, present, and future and for Kate Green and Barbara Schmitz.

May we all meet in heaven cafe writing for eternity.
Foreword:

Some years ago, while cleaning out my grandmother's attic, I came across this motto encased in an old oak picture frame: Do Your Work As Well As You Can and Be Kind.
Introduction:

I was a goody-two-shoes all through school.
This is why it is good to remember: if you want to get high, don’t drink whiskey; read Shakespeare, Tennyson, Keats, Neruda, Hopkins, Millay, Whitman, aloud and let your body sing.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0877733759, Paperback)

Wherein we discover that many of the "rules" for good writing and good sex are the same: Keep your hand moving, lose control, and don't think. Goldberg brings a touch of both Zen and well... *eroticism* to her writing practice, the latter in exercises and anecdotes designed to ease you into your body, your whole spirit, while you create, the former in being where you are, working with what you have, and writing from the moment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

Offers advice on writing creatively, discusses the importance of discipline, and suggests writing exercises.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible