10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert

10,000 Dresses

by Marcus Ewert

Horn Book (Spring 2009)
  stonini | Jul 30, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a perfect book to use with elementary aged children to address the unfamiliar topic of transgender. There are many reasons why I love this book. The language is very descriptive and works well with the meaning of the story. It even evokes an emotional response from the reader. The writing is very engaging, flows nicely, and is organized. There is a good amount of writing per page, accompanied by illustrations, which is perfect for young readers. I really enjoy the main character, Bailey, in this story. Baily is a well-developed character who is biologically a boy, but identifies more as a girl. I enjoy this character because this concept does not fit into a child’s understanding of what it means to be a boy or girl. It challenges a child’s opinion on gender and has them think about how a boy may want to be perceived as a girl. Certain students who perceive themselves as a different gender may identify with Bailey and find comfort that other people in the world feel this way. The plot is very enjoyable in my opinion. Bailey dreams about wearing magical dresses, but his parents do not support these dreams. His mother and father exclaim, “You’re a BOY! You shouldn’t be thinking about dresses at all.” Fortunately, Bailey becomes friends with a girl who is inspired by Bailey’s imagination and courage. The two begin making dresses together and Bailey can finally express his true self. I really enjoy this plot because it is a new and unfamiliar concept for young readers. It demonstrates the importance of being proud of who you are. I like that this story can comfort students who relate to Bailey and provide new insights for students who are unfamiliar with this topic of transgender. I also enjoy the gorgeous illustrations. Beautiful pictures spread across the pages and really enhance the story. The illustrations are appropriate for the mood of the story. This book pushes readers to address issues around gender such as gender roles, gender stereotypes, and transgender. These new concepts help readers think about what they think it means to be a boy or girl. The big idea of the story is that you should not be afraid to become the person you feel you are inside. It also teaches children to be supportive of those who make life decisions that are different from their own. ( )
  jgiann2 | Mar 25, 2014 |
I think the book 10,000 Dresses was a very interesting book that questions traditional gender roles. I enjoy that some of the words were written in different colored fonts. For example, the word “crystals” was written in blue and the word “rainbow” was written in all the colors of the rainbow. Also, I really enjoyed the way the author used the pronoun “she” even though Bailey is a boy throughout the entirety of the book. I think this was an interesting choice on behalf of the author to explain to the reader the feelings of the main character. The main idea of this book is that people will not always accept who your truly are but it is important to stay true to yourself. ( )
  kjacob9 | Mar 24, 2014 |
“10,000 Dresses” is a fantastic story, with an even better main idea of if you are who you are and accept that to be true then you will be accepted. This is shown throughout the writing style of the author. For when the main character Baily talks about herself it is in the terms of she but when her family refers to her its in the terms of he, but at the end she makes a friend who refers to her as she. The constant change in pronoun was intriguing for me as a reader. It allowed me to see the story in a different perspective just with the change of pronoun. I also enjoyed the illustrations throughout this book for they enhanced the story and were very appropriate for this story. For all of the dresses that Baily dreamt about had varied angles within them. The illustrator was able to make the 2D dress somehow pop off of the page in a 3D way. This caused me as the reader to be fully engaged and want to know what would be on the next page. Each illustration pushed me, as a reader into turning the page just to find out what the next dress dreamed of would look like. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 11, 2014 |
I also completely loved this book. This book hits very close to home for me, and so I felt very strongly about the message. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because of the pronoun use. When the main character is referring to herself, she uses female pronouns. Whenever an outside character refers to the main character, they refer to him with male pronouns. I felt like this was very accurate and will connect well with students who identify as transgender. This may confuse other students, so it is important for the teacher or guardian who is overseeing the child reading this to help them navigate the pronouns.
Another reason why I loved this book is because of the illustrations. The main character is portrayed very androgynously, allowing the reader to be more open to the idea of the story rather than being stuck on "that's a boy, not a girl!"
The main idea of this book is to follow your heart because there will always be someone there to back you up and support you. ( )
  lmalak1 | Mar 2, 2014 |

Bailey longs to wear the beautiful dresses of her dreams but is ridiculed by her unsympathetic family which rejects her true perception of herself.

Seven Stories Press

Two editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1583228500, 1583229507

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,357,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible