10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert

10,000 Dresses

by Marcus Ewert

In my opinion this is a really good book. I like it because it talks about a social issue that can make some people feel uncomfortable. In society today, gender is becoming fluid. People can decide if they are a boy or a girl and children are included, they also see media where people are changing genders. This book talks about a boy who likes to wear dresses, which is a great way to formally introduce children to this aspect of society. The book uses child friendly language that will engage readers without confusing them. Instead of saying "transgender" the author just calls the character a girl. I think this is really good because it uses the proper pronouns which is important to the topic. In the beginning of the book, the author addresses bulling as well. The girls brother was mean to her and called her "ugly" and said "I'll beat you up". The rest of the book proves that their isn't anything weird about her and discourages this type of bullying. The message of this book is heavy and speaks about a serious topic, transgender. It teachers readers to accept all people for who they are on the inside not the outside. ( )
  Kacie11 | Nov 30, 2016 |
10,000 Dresses is a story about being yourself and not giving up on what being yourself means. I enjoyed reading 10,000 dresses. I've never read a book of this nature but I liked it for a few reasons. First, the plot is organized and suspenseful. Every night Bailey has a dream of all these dresses she tries on, and then the next day she tells someone in her family, but they don't care- no one cares until she meets a girl down the street. The plot keeps the reader interested because you keep wondering if anyone will ever care that Bailey feels like a girl and not a boy. Secondly, the language is very descriptive and in the text certain words are colored differently, for example the word rainbow is colored like the rainbow. One of my favorite descriptive lines from the book is "When Bailey slipped the dress on, the crystals clinked against each other like millions of tiny bells." The reader can picture the dress as well as hear what it would sound like. Finally, the book pushes readers to think about the issues of a transgender child. In the book you have the perspective of his parents who don't accept him and of the neighbor who accepts Bailey for being a girl. It makes readers think about how they feel and it makes the issue of being transgender more accepted and talked about. ( )
  baileywysong | Oct 11, 2016 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the illustrations matched the story perfectly. The story said, “There was a dress made of lilies and roses! When she slipped it on, she saw the sleeves were made of honeysuckles”. After reading that line, I looked over at the next page and saw a vibrant illustration that mimicked the description of the dress. The illustrations made the words come to life. The second reason I liked this book is because it pushes readers to think about tough issues. Bailey was a young boy who felt like she was a girl. Her family did not approve of this, and would constantly tell Bailey that she was a boy. At the end, Bailey met a girl in her neighborhood who was supportive of her identity. I have never read a children’s book like this before. It was unique and makes the reader sit back and think about the issue Bailey had. The big idea of this book is about how there are people in today’s society who are exactly like Bailey: born one gender, but feel like the opposite gender. Whenever Bailey told her parents about wanting a dress she had a dream about, they said, “Bailey, what are you talking about? You’re a boy. Boys don’t wear dresses! . . . Now go away, and don’t mention dresses again”. Bailey was not accepted by her family, which is the same issue many people have too. But, having Bailey find support is a reminder that people are not alone and they will find the acceptance they need. ( )
  KaseyRosen | Sep 11, 2016 |
Diversity and Multiculturalism Assignment
  Jackie.Spencer | Jul 26, 2016 |
I loved this story. It is a really important book for kids to read because it teaches kids about transgender children. It would also be important for any kids struggling with their sexuality or gender identity. I think this book would be hard to have in the classroom because of so many ignorant parents. ( )
  SamanthaPurvis3 | Mar 13, 2016 |

Bailey longs to wear the beautiful dresses of her dreams but is ridiculed by her unsympathetic family which rejects her true perception of herself.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1583228500, 1583229507

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,264,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible