10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert

10,000 Dresses

by Marcus Ewert

Bailey is a young transgender girl. Bailey dreams every night of beautiful dresses. When she wakes up she asks her mother, father, and brother, to help her get a dress. Her family becomes angry and remind her that she is a boy and should not be thinking about dresses. Bailey becomes very discouraged. She meets a nice lady across the street who is more accepting of who she is. This older lady makes dresses. Bailey shares her dress ideas with her and together they create a dress made of mirrors.

This book hits on a major problem in our society. Many students are members of the LGBT community and it is important to include texts that they can relate to. Not only is it important for the students members of the LGBT community but other students as well. Through texts such as this, all students can see what the LGBT community looks like. This text will help teach acceptance and compassion.

Realistic Fiction
Reading Level: Primary Readers
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
I was honestly obsessed with this book, and with this book, I felt like this author was super sneaky with the pronouns that they were using for the main character. The author would start out by saying she, and then transitioned into he, and then ended with she for each incident. I feel as if this story would model to students that it is totally okay to be different, and to be comfortable with the pronouns that they would want others to call them. I also liked that in the end, she found someone who would accept her for her. I also like how the dress was made out of mirrors to show everyone to be comfortable with who they are, and that what they wear should reflect that. ( )
  kbarry9 | Apr 26, 2015 |
The story of Bailey, a transgender child, leaves a strong impact. It is often sad but hopeful in the end. Bailey, born a boy, identifies as a girl and is not accepted by her family. At the end of the story, she finds acceptance and an ally in a neighbor. Books such as this must be incorporated into elementary curriculum. They can help children learn to be accepting of others. This book also illustrates the importance of being an ally to the LGBT community, particularly to LGBT youth. ( )
  EliseMT | Feb 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed the way that this book looks at loving everyone and takes a look at what it means to be transgender.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
After reading “10,000 Dresses” by Marcus Ewert, I have mixed feelings. I like how the book is written about a transgender child. I loved Bailey, who is the main character. Bailey is a girl who is trapped in a boy’s body. She doesn’t feel like a boy, she only looks like one. I love Bailey because she is believable. I know there are other children who can relate to Bailey, children who are transgender. Bailey doesn’t understand why she doesn’t feel like a boy, she just knows that she isn’t one. “‘But… I don’t feel like a boy,’ Bailey said.” The reason why I don’t like the book is because there is conflict in the story that is never solved. In the story Bailey’s mother, father, and brother all tell her that she’s a boy and that’s that. Bailey’s mother says to her, “‘Well, you are one, Bailey, and that’s that! Now go away… and don’t mention dresses to me again!’” Bailey goes to her room, clearly heartbroken. When Bailey asks her dad if he can grow her a dress made of flowers her father says, “‘Bailey, what are you talking about? You’re a boy. Boys don’t wear dresses!’” When Bailey told her brother about a dress she dreamed of, he called her gross and told her to get away. “But nothing. Get out of here, before I kick you!” The book ends with Bailey meeting a new friend and they begin to make dresses together. I think it’s great that Bailey finally gets a dress, but the conflict within the family is never solved. The big idea of this book is to show that there are some “boys” who do not feel like boys on the inside. ( )
  Chawki6 | Nov 16, 2014 |

Bailey longs to wear the beautiful dresses of her dreams but is ridiculed by her unsympathetic family which rejects her true perception of herself.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1583228500, 1583229507

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,124,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible