Anastasia at this Address by Lois Lowry

Anastasia at this Address

by Lois Lowry

Cute but not stellar. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Anastasia begins to write back to a personal ad in a magazine. After attending to her best friend's wedding, she realizes the man she has been writing to her, is her friend's uncle. Aanastsia is your typical 13 year old. She is awkward, unsure, and silly. I feel as if this book only targets majority of girls at this stage. I will probably not use it for a class assignment, but i might recommended it for a girl as this age. I also feel as if this book is outdated. Many people might not be able to reconnect to certain words or situations in the book. I did like how Anastasia had a pen pal. This could open to the possibility of some of students of having a pen pal. I used to love this book as an early teen, and it is funny as things pass. ( )
  jenvid | Sep 24, 2011 |
I agree with the review below me. I enjoyed thid book at first but it just got more and more silly.
For instance:
Having your sister's friends as junior bridesmaids when she didn't even mention her own friends.
Ringing the doctors asking the doctor to piece her ears!
Taking her earings out after a week and a half
Saying it was painless getting them pierced
The maturity of the 3 year olds vocabulary
The 3 year old using a screwdriver to remove a bell
The stupid joke about the 'wok', half of which the 3 year old made up
The fact that it was obvious she was was young
The sheer coincedience at the end

I found the language was quite funny though. Like when Anastasia said how her mother can just 'whip off' art and her mother replied 'what do you mean whip off? I spent 4 years in art school!' ( )
  sweetie_candykim | Feb 21, 2011 |
I have now read eight Anastasia books in a row. Maybe I'm getting tired of them. Maybe this is because, at 29, I'm not really the intended audience. Maybe the quality of the writing is actually decreasing. Possibly the author is just running out of funny things to have Anastasia do, so the situations are getting more ridiculous. I don't know.
In this volume, Anastasia decides to answer a personal ad in The New York Review of Books. Obviously, the person who placed the ad is much older than Anastasia, but he writes back to her anyway. I find it hard to believe that this individual would not realize from the quality of her writing that she is a teenager, but if that were the case, there wouldn't be much to have a book about, either. Also, Anastasia gets to be a junior bridesmaid in her friend's sister's wedding. I also find it hard to believe that sister did not have any other friends, so she has to stoop to having her 7th grade sister's friends be her bridesmaids. I find Anastasia's parents and younger brother far more compelling characters than Anastasia herself. ( )
  EmScape | Jan 20, 2010 |
In a fairly good representation of the series as a whole, Anastasia decides she is ready for love and begins corresponding with a wealthy 28-year-old through the personals column. She is able to persuade herself that this is a good idea until her beau announces he is coming to town -- and turns out to be her friend's uncle. The story isn't completely resolved, but Anastasia avoids a particularly embarrassing encounter in the end and still gets to be a junior bridesmaid in a wedding that same weekend. Her ill-informed mother makes some insightful comments on marriage in passing towards the end. One star lost for Anastasia's avoidance of responsibility and for Lowry's insulting depiction of Anastasia's "plump" friend as being unrealistically obsessed with food 24/7. ( )
  littlepiece | Dec 27, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440406528, Paperback)

"SWM, 28, boyish charm, inherited wealth, looking for tall young woman, nonsmoker, to share Caribbean vacations, reruns of Casablanca, and romance."

To 13-year-old Anastasia Krupnik, this Single White Male from the magazine personals section sounds perfect. And really, she's not lying when she writes to say she is tall, young, hates smoking, has seen Casablanca so many times she can recite some of it, is quite sure she would like Caribbean vacations, and is definitely ready for romance. And later, when she writes to say she owns a sloop and that she races occasionally, well, that's not exactly a lie either. Tension and hilarity build as Anastasia digs herself deeper into this embroilment. When SWM writes to say he would like to meet her, it looks like the jig is finally up. How will our outspoken, fast-thinking, SWF get herself out of this mess? Anastasia, the subject of many award-winning books by Lois Lowry, is a terrific modern role model for girls. Headstrong, independent, warm, and open, she manages to pull herself out of every one of the many predicaments she gets into. As she struggles with the changing feelings of adolescence, she maintains a good, yet realistic, relationship with her parents and young brother. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

Ready for romance, thirteen-year-old Anastasia answers an ad in the personals with an exaggerated description of herself but soon runs into trouble when the unknown man turns up at a friend's wedding.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,422,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible