Nevada Barr Ill Wind by Nevada Barr

Nevada Barr Ill Wind (original 1995; edition 2004)

by Nevada Barr

Member:blueraine_91
Title:Nevada Barr Ill Wind
Authors:Nevada Barr
Info:Berkley (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Ill Wind by Nevada Barr (1995)

Recently added byErwind, dmaness, MareF, Jvknoerl, LoriBom, highlandbloom, diananagy, private library, peterpetcarp

Another good solid Anna Pigeon mystery from Nevada Barr. For me Anna fills in nicely while waiting for the next Kinsey Millhone book. Like Kinsey she's older (but not old), a little bit jaded and working through some pain in her past. But unlike Kinsey who is firmly set in her hometown each Anna Pigeon book takes place in a different National Park. All the different settings and the different emphasis of each park is an integrated well into the mystery. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
LIked the book, found it hard to put down due to the interesting assortment of characters. ( )
  Minne2 | Jun 24, 2012 |
Interesting characters and relationships. I like the atmosphere of living in Mesa Verde Park. ( )
  BonnieJune54 | Jun 15, 2012 |
This is an older novel in the National Park Ranger Anna Pigeon series that I had somehow missed. Reading it filled a hole in my knowledge of Anna. I had known forever that she had had a drinking problem and perhaps was a recovering alcoholic. I assumed she started drinking heavily after her husband's death but I didn't know when she had admitted alcohol was a severe problem for her.

Well, now I know. It's in Ill Wind when she is stationed at Mesa Verde National Park that everything comes to a head because she's having blackouts and bugging her sister on the phone at all hours of the night, saying "Zach's dead." (Zach was her husband.) Thankfully her sister is able to convince her this is a problem that will kill her if she doesn't stop. It also helps that a heavy drinker who works construction in the park is a stupid drunk and, being the cop, it's Anna who has to pick him up all the time.

The mystery involves the death of a ranger who was a friend, and who was the stepfather of a handicapped child that Anna has become close to. Anna has two roommates while she waits for better housing, one of whom is a radical ecologist threatening bad things are happening in the Anasazi cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde because the "Old Ones" are angry at what's happening in their homes. Actually bad things are happening and it's Anna's job to figure out who and why, along with a federal agent, our old friend Frederick Stanton.

I always enjoy Nevada Barr novels greatly but this one less so than the others I've read. Can't put my finger on why because it has all the components of the best ones. Maybe it was just hating to see Anna losing control because of the bottle. Anna is so real to me that hurt. There has never been a time, though, when I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend that if you haven't ever read Nevada Barr, you should run not walk to the library or bookstore to get in on the fun. ( )
  bjmitch | Jun 5, 2012 |
Not at all as good as many of her other novels, unfortunately. It is a good fast read for an airplane ride, but not a book that stays with you. ( )
  klockrike | Oct 19, 2010 |
For Deb and Ed
without whom ...
Well, frankly, I shudder to think
No graveyards; that bothered Anna.
aka Mountain of Bones

It is whispered that the Old Ones still haunt Mesa Verde - the restless spirits of the Anasazi [Ancient Enemies], who carved their homes in the mountain's face eight centuries ago ... and then disappeared from the Earth.

Newly assigned national parks ranger Anna Pigeon seeks solace from her own personal demons in the ancient cave dwellings of a vanished Native American civilization. But an inexplicable illness affecting visitors to the popular Colorado landmark has dragged her from her reverie - as have two mysterious tragedies: the death of a child .. and the murder of a friend. and now she must find the very human source of the evil wind that is blowing through the ruins. For it threatens more innocent lives. Mother Nature ... and Anna herself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197255, Mass Market Paperback)

Lately, visitors to Mesa Verde have been bringing home more than photos--they're also carrying a strange, deadly disease. And once it strikes, park ranger Anna Pigeon must find the very human source of the evil wind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:32 -0400)

Park ranger Anna Pigeon probes the murder of fellow ranger Stacey Meyers in the Mesa Verde National Park. Meyers was investigating the sabotage of equipment used in installing a water pipe through ancient Indian grounds. The construction is opposed by many people.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,699,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible