Nevada Barr Ill Wind by Nevada Barr

Nevada Barr Ill Wind (original 1995; edition 2004)

by Nevada Barr

Title:Nevada Barr Ill Wind
Authors:Nevada Barr
Info:Berkley (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Ill Wind by Nevada Barr (1995)

Recently added byKimSalyers, CandaceVan, DeeannJones, brandp, private library, bobsheedy, slowpainter, BookHavenAZ

this is a mystery. I couldn't get past the 2nd chapter. im not much of a reader of mysteries. unless is a romance mystery ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I read this book but I have read the entire series, up until the most current book and I really like it. I love how the series is set outdoors in the different parks. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
SIGNED by author on main title page, F/F
  shijin | Apr 16, 2016 |
Ill Wind by Nevada Barr is the third book in her Anna Pigeon series and in this case, I listened to the audio version of the book. These are books that I read first and foremost for the setting as each mystery is placed in a different American National Park. Ill Wind is set in Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. This park was established in order to preserve a number of ruins built by the Pueblo people who lived there from AD 600 - 1300.

The mystery concerns the apparent sickness that has affected a number of tourists. After the death of a little girl, and then the death of a fellow ranger, more attention is brought to the matter. Anna is paired with FBI agent Frederick Stanton, who we have met in a previous book. Of course, there are plenty of red herrings thrown in to keep the reader on his toes but I enjoyed the interplay between Anna and Frederick. In this book, the park didn’t receive a great deal of attention and I missed the usual descriptions of the beauty of these places. Anna herself, has to deal with some personal issues, as she finally faces up to her drinking problem.

I enjoy these mysteries, Anna is a strong, forthright character and I particularly enjoyed reading the scenes between her and FBI Agent, Frederick Stanton. So although these are not the strongest of mysteries or the most suspenseful, I intend to carry on with the series because of its settings and my interest in the main character. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 10, 2016 |
For Deb and Ed
without whom ...
Well, frankly, I shudder to think
No graveyards; that bothered Anna.
aka Mountain of Bones

It is whispered that the Old Ones still haunt Mesa Verde - the restless spirits of the Anasazi [Ancient Enemies], who carved their homes in the mountain's face eight centuries ago ... and then disappeared from the Earth.

Newly assigned national parks ranger Anna Pigeon seeks solace from her own personal demons in the ancient cave dwellings of a vanished Native American civilization. But an inexplicable illness affecting visitors to the popular Colorado landmark has dragged her from her reverie - as have two mysterious tragedies: the death of a child .. and the murder of a friend. and now she must find the very human source of the evil wind that is blowing through the ruins. For it threatens more innocent lives. Mother Nature ... and Anna herself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197255, Mass Market Paperback)

Lately, visitors to Mesa Verde have been bringing home more than photos--they're also carrying a strange, deadly disease. And once it strikes, park ranger Anna Pigeon must find the very human source of the evil wind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:17 -0400)

Park ranger Anna Pigeon probes the murder of fellow ranger Stacey Meyers in the Mesa Verde National Park. Meyers was investigating the sabotage of equipment used in installing a water pipe through ancient Indian grounds. The construction is opposed by many people.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible