Nevada Barr Ill Wind by Nevada Barr

Nevada Barr Ill Wind (original 1995; edition 2004)

by Nevada Barr

Member:blueraine_91
Title:Nevada Barr Ill Wind
Authors:Nevada Barr
Info:Berkley (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Ill Wind by Nevada Barr (1995)

Joy's review: Ranger Pigeon is at Mesa Verde National Park, drinking too much and solving murders and mysterious illnesses. Not much else to say, the kind of book that's like viewing a pleasant and familiar vista; enjoyable, with no deep thinking required. It did annoy me that she proclaims herself an alcoholic at the end of the book. Why do authors go there so bloody often? ( )
  konastories | Dec 5, 2016 |
Starting with the pros: This was a great read for those who have been or are planning to go to Mesa Verde (as I am, in a few months). I enjoyed having this national park as a backdrop, and hearing about what goes on behind the scenes. Anna Pigeon is an intriguing protagonist, and I'll be interested to see how her character changes. Also, SO cool that the author is also a ranger.

Other stuff: I've started reading more mysteries in the past year, and started to note why I think some mysteries succeed more than others. This one had a good premise, and did a lot of things well, but also felt a little stagnant and disconnected sometimes. For example, there was an entire 5 pages where Anna aimlessly drove around the park thinking about how she doesn't have enough evidence yet. Literally nothing happened. That could have been used to connect some of the dots more deeply.

Also, the writing was a little poor - everything had to be compared to something else it seemed, to bring maximum visualization to the reader. For example, in the span of two paragraphs, a mouse in Anna's kitchen is compared BOTH to Gus Gus from "Cinderella" AND to whatever that rat's name is from "Charlotte's Web." There was no reason for this. The mouse played no role in the book, and we didn't need two comparisons to fat rodents from pop culture. In another scene, literally every single rock's size is compared to an object that readers know (a winnebago, a fist, a house, a room). I don't know why this happened.

Anyway, the next one I"ll read is a little further into the series and it'll be cool to see how her writing has changed. ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
this is a mystery. I couldn't get past the 2nd chapter. im not much of a reader of mysteries. unless is a romance mystery ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I read this book but I have read the entire series, up until the most current book and I really like it. I love how the series is set outdoors in the different parks. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
For Deb and Ed
without whom ...
Well, frankly, I shudder to think
No graveyards; that bothered Anna.
aka Mountain of Bones

It is whispered that the Old Ones still haunt Mesa Verde - the restless spirits of the Anasazi [Ancient Enemies], who carved their homes in the mountain's face eight centuries ago ... and then disappeared from the Earth.

Newly assigned national parks ranger Anna Pigeon seeks solace from her own personal demons in the ancient cave dwellings of a vanished Native American civilization. But an inexplicable illness affecting visitors to the popular Colorado landmark has dragged her from her reverie - as have two mysterious tragedies: the death of a child .. and the murder of a friend. and now she must find the very human source of the evil wind that is blowing through the ruins. For it threatens more innocent lives. Mother Nature ... and Anna herself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197255, Mass Market Paperback)

Lately, visitors to Mesa Verde have been bringing home more than photos--they're also carrying a strange, deadly disease. And once it strikes, park ranger Anna Pigeon must find the very human source of the evil wind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:17 -0400)

Park ranger Anna Pigeon probes the murder of fellow ranger Stacey Meyers in the Mesa Verde National Park. Meyers was investigating the sabotage of equipment used in installing a water pipe through ancient Indian grounds. The construction is opposed by many people.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,784,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible