First Family by David Baldacci

First Family

by David Baldacci

Series: King-Maxwell (4)

Simple Genius by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The third book in King and Maxwell series
    The Sixth Man by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fifth book in King and Maxwell series
    Hour Game by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The second book in King and Maxwell series
    Split Second by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The first book in King and Maxwell series

A decent outing in the King and Maxwell series, with the latter continuing to be a very interesting and evolving character while the former is perhaps too good to be believable at times. The writing itself was very uneven at times in this one, with some chapters containing some very poorly structured sentences throughout while other chapters read as if written by a different hand. It was bad enough right out of the gate that I might not have persevered if I didn't already have a long and enjoyable history with Baldacci's work. But really, there's an editor out there somewhere who needs to be unemployed. In terms of plot, the main Washington-area story revolves around the disappearance of the eldest daughter of the First Lady's brother, but of course there is much more to that particular story, which we learn as things unfold. The B plot involves a personal loss that affects Maxwell and that draws her and King to her parents' Nashville home for some insights into Maxwell's backstory and some character development. All in all, a pretty good book, although with its share of the usual sort of avoidable plot silliness that seems to affect most thrillers (or else they wouldn't be thrillers, I guess.) At the same time, I can't think of a boring or useless character here, and that says a lot. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
I don't know what he was trying to do but this wasn't a terribly successful plan. A man tries to get his revenge by kidnapping the Presidents' niece, this leads King & Maxwell into a morass of secrets and lies, which aren't helped by Michelle's mother's sudden death.

And she finds out her secret from her childhood, and it's a doozy. Overall its interesting and well done but I think I need a break from this series for a while as I guessed most of the twists fairly early on. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Mar 14, 2017 |
I would have to say that this is my favorite book in the King and Maxwell series. It held my interest all the way through with unique characters and a plot with lots of twists and surprises. I now look forward to the next book in the series and I highly recommend this series to those who love mystery with lots of action. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 28, 2017 |
This is Baldacci’s fourth novel featuring Former Secret Service agents and current private investigators, Sean King and Michelle Maxwell. They are on their way to see Pam Dutton, who is the President's sister-in-law, and has urgently requested their help. As they arrive at the Dutton house, they see a car speeding away. Of course they step in to try and catch the car but are unsuccessful. When they return, the FBI and Secret Service informs them that someone broke into the party, being attended by the First Lady, kidnapped twelve year old Willa Dutton, and shot and killed her mother. Because Sean once helped First Lady, Jane Cox, out of an embarrassing situation, she hires them to find Willa.

From the beginning we know who the kidnapper is, because his story is told in alternate chapters. We suspect Sam Quarry is out for some sort of revenge but we won't know the true story for quite some time. Sam is a fascinating man and completely different from the usual “bad guy” characters. The reader knows from the beginning that whatever caused him to plan this revenge has been weighing on his mind for over thirteen years. Willa is the star of this book and every section told from her point of view made the story more interesting.

I really enjoyed this part of the story but for some reason Baldacci chose to have another completely unrelated plot going on. In the third book of this series, readers discover that Michelle had a childhood trauma that has affected her in many ways. Because she was under hypnosis at the time she doesn't remember this. During the hunt for Willa, Michelle is called back to her hometown because someone killed her mother, and her father is a suspect. I felt like this thread completely disrupted the main story and I wish Baldacci had not chosen to trot it out in this book. Overall there was enough action and suspense, with a couple of twists, to make this an interesting look at power and how the powerful use it. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 24, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book and it is a clear favourite in the King and Maxwell Series so far. I loved the way that we didn't have Sean keeping things back from us (and his partner) like he did in the other books, and the way this allowed for plenty of speculation about what had happened in the past and who was to blame. I always prefer it when I get the chance to interact with a book in this way. There were a number of humorous points in this story that made me laugh out loud. look forward to continuing this series and will be interested to see where they take the characters next. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jan 20, 2017 |
The chapters are short, the dialogue is "snappy," and still things go on forever... Bad.
added by Shortride | editEsquire, Benjamin Alsup (Jun 11, 2009)

Baldacci, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mom, my brother, and my sister, for all the love
Her footsteps were unhurried.
"...it's the responsibility of the parent to always protect the child."

Ex CIA agents Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are asked to meet Pam Dutton, the President's sister in law. When they arrive, someone has killed Pam and kidnapped her child, Willa.
The First Lady asks them to find Willa.

Following the instant #1 New York Times bestseller Simple Genius, Sean King and Michelle Maxwell return in David Baldacci's most heart-pounding thriller to date . . .
FIRST FAMILY
It began with what seemed like an ordinary children's birthday party. Friends and family gathered to celebrate. There were balloons and cake, games and gifts.
This party, however, was far from ordinary. It was held at Camp David, the presidential retreat. And it ended with a daring kidnapping . . . which immediately turned into a national security nightmare.
Sean King and Michelle Maxwell were not looking to become involved. As former Secret Service agents turned private investigators, they had no reason to be. The FBI doesn't want them interfering. But years ago, Sean King saved the First Lady's husband, then a senator, from political disaster. Now, Sean is the one person the First Lady trusts, and she presses Sean and Michelle into the desperate search to rescue the abducted child.
With Michelle still battling her own demons, and forces aligned on all sides against her and Sean, the two are pushed to the absolute limit. In the race to save an innocent victim, the line between friend and foe will become impossible to define . . . or defend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

A daring kidnapping turns a children's birthday party at Camp David into a national security nightmare, pushing agents Sean King and Michelle Maxwell to their limits.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible