Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Second Glance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:rainpebble
Title:Second Glance
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2004), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Tags:paranormal; purged

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (2003)

English (64)  German (1)  All languages (65)
Lovely, but clearly one of Picoult's earlier works. She hasn't quite found her voice yet, & she struggles in wrangling her many characters. It all does tie together in the end, but not as well as some of her later work achieves this accomplishment. If you like her, you won't be disappointed in this book, but it's not one you have to get to right away. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Ooh, I started this at night and it spooked me a little. Then I picked it up in the daytime and it was no big deal. Amazing what light does...

I was really hooked by this book, and pretty much took it with me everywhere so I could find out what happened. I enjoyed it and will read Jodi Picoult again, although there was a scene at the end of the book that I felt was contrived for the masses, therefor losing some of the magic of it for me. Still, I liked the book and find it interesting that it was in my hands at the same time as I was reading the Language of God and considering the Human Genome Project. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Jodi Picoult has written several books that I just loved. Because of that I tried really hard to like this one. But I just found it over worked and irritating.

We have Ross who is pining for his dead fiancé.
We have Leah, a woman who died at 18, just after her baby was born in 1932.
We have Eli the cop helping with the investigation into Leah's death.
We have Meredith, who has a son with an uncommon diagnoses that make disables them both.
Then there's another woman that ends up with Eli that I can't remember the name of. She's Ross's sister.
We have Lucy who is Meredith's daughter.
Ross has a son that I also can't think of the name.

All of these characters lives intertwine from Leah's death. It's an odd convergence that I guess makes since but I just wasn't interested despite my efforts to be interested. Unfortunately I have 2 more Picoult books that are 1/2 done that I've had a similar response to.

I can't say I would recommend this book to anyone I know. I can't even think of general groups that I would recommend it to. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Feb 26, 2016 |
Spencer Pike is an old man who is spending the last of his days in a rest home. While there he is approached by a developer who wants to buy tract of land which was formerly owned by Spencer's wife Cissy, who was murdered when she was only 18. When construction begins all manner of weird actions begin to happen and the towns people attribute it to the fact that the land is a Indian burial ground.

Ross is a "ghost hunter" who is determined to kill himself and get to the other side to be with his wife who died in a car accident. He believes he failed her because he went to help the other motorist and she died alone, a fact for which he has never forgiven himself.

While I enjoyed the book, it was not one of my favorites from Picolt. ( )
  AstridG | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'm not a huge Picoult fan, but this book sounded interesting and it was. A really good ghost story with accurate historical background about the "Eugenics" project in Vermount. Written in 2002 it is one of her older books. I enjoyed it much more than some of the more recent ones.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
What if you slept?
And what if in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if in your dream, you went to heaven
and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?
And what if, when you woke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah! What then? - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
For Sammy, who is both a reader and a writer. I love you to the moon and back. XOXO, Mom.
Ross Wakeman succeeded the first time he killed himself, but not the second or the third.
Love's not a because, it's a no matter what.
This is my land, and frankly I don't care if it's owned by retarded bald eagles in wheelchairs - I paid for it, fair and square.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743454510, Paperback)

Ghosts and ghost hunters collide in this compelling tale of the paranormal set in Vermont's green mountains. When the patriarch of the Abenaki Indian tribe that was nearly eradicated by that state's eugenics project in the 1930s encounters Ross Wakeman, the miraculous survivor of several attempted suicides who wants nothing more than to be reunited with the woman he loved and lost, they set in motion a chain of events that will unravel an ancient murder and lead to a second chance at life and love for the victim's descendants. Picoult, author of Salem Falls, brings the past alive and peoples it with a cast of extraordinarily well-realized characters whose reach into the future touches the lives of a dying boy, a frightened girl, and their mothers--two women who've given up on love until the revenants stirred up by a plan to develop an ancient burial ground show them what they're missing. Second Glance is an intricate and suspenseful ghost story that enchants and illuminates all the way to its powerful conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

A man's attempt to sell part of his property and the resulting Abenaki Indian tribe's protest that the land is a sacred burial ground spurs an investigation by ghost hunter Ross Wakeman, whose search for the truth leads to an encounter with a beautiful and mysterious woman named Lia and the discovery of a long-hidden murder haunting a small Vermont town.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,162,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible