Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Second Glance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jodi Picoult

Title:Second Glance
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2004), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (2003)

Recently added byiNanner, INorris, stellar32383, mom2lnb, BKPugh, lucyknows, private library, Courtney_Hancock, mmoj

English (61)  German (1)  All languages (62)
I'm not a huge Picoult fan, but this book sounded interesting and it was. A really good ghost story with accurate historical background about the "Eugenics" project in Vermount. Written in 2002 it is one of her older books. I enjoyed it much more than some of the more recent ones.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Oh my goodness, what a book. This book takes place in Vermont, and when a piece of land is put up for sale, the local Abenaki Indian tribe protest, saying that the land is an Abenaki burial place. As development starts on the land, odd and unexplainable things start happening in the nearby town of Comtosook. The developer hires a ghost hunter to prove to the townsfolk that there are no ghosts haunting the land. Ross Wakeman, a suicidal man who blames himself for not being with his wife when she died, brings his ghost hunting equipment to be reunited with the woman he lost and still loves. This is a story of ghosts, love, fate, eugenics, and a crime of passion that has touched many lives for 70 years. How Jodi Picoult was able to weave such a complicated story into this page-turning and astonishing book, and still put all of the pieces together at the end, amazes me. I believe "Second Glance" as a fabulous book - one I plan to read again in the future. ( )
  suzyblack | May 17, 2015 |
My favorite JP book. Perhaps the setting resonated with the Vermonter in me; the Abnaki, in particular, to the Northern Vermonter in me. Or that it's a ghost story subtle and true and ethereal as smoke. Or that it is about families and communities that walk that fine line between love/hate, right/wrong, life/death. But I suspect it's the writing itself. This is an early work of Picoult's, and she was at her rawest - and finest. ( )
  TFHetrick | Jan 2, 2015 |
ead this book about a year or two ago. I remember absolutely nothing about it. I went back to read what the book was about and still nothing triggered. So I'd say....not a very memorable book. Apparently I liked the story though because I gave it a decent rating :-P ( )
  Anietzerck | Dec 28, 2014 |
My mom gave me this book years ago and it’s been sitting on my TBR shelf ever since. As far as books go, we rarely see eye-to-eye, and so I cast it into a state of perpetual ignore until she reminded me of it the other day. So then I actually read the description and thought it could be interesting, but expected it to be mushy, histrionic and overly sentimental. I don’t know why I had this idea in my head, but I did and I was wrong. Is it a perfect book? No, but it’s far from the sap-fest I thought it would be.

A few reviews I read say there’s too many characters to keep track of. Not being a simpleton, I wasn’t put off by this (and after reading Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series, come on, bring it with your characters). Sure, there are several, but they’re distinct and Picoult gives a lot of back story and set up for each one. The set up, is long and she doesn’t set the hook until just after 100 pages, but what a hook it is. Before you know it you’re turning the pages faster and faster to connect the dots you suspect join up. When they do (in expected and unexpected ways), it’s a little jolt of joy for exposing the sinister underpinnings of this quaint little Vermont town.

Since she is a New England resident, I think it’s natural that Picoult set her story in a New England location and frankly, there are few of them that qualify as big, so the haunted little town cliche hits the bullseye. The characters who live in it chafe against it and even decry the prejudices of the “big city folk” who come through. While I did enjoy the story and the way it was told, not a lot of it was surprising. I figured out a lot of the relationships, circumstances and secrets along the way. Not because I’m overly insightful or brilliant, but because Picoult wanted me to. She divulged everything precisely and in a way that rewards the reader for putting the clues together. It’s a feel-good novel in that sense.

Much of the goings on however are far from feel-good. Racism, misogyny, corruption, cover-ups, murder and eugenics create a miasma of unease, disgust and righteous indignation. As far as characters go, I felt Ross was a bit of a pathetic individual, but he tried to rise above. I didn’t understand Cecelia much, but her final scene was pretty heartbreaking. Everything comes together neatly and there is resolution which was expected given how the novel was constructed. Now I’ve gotten over my Jodi Picoult prejudice, I think I’ll be reading more. ( )
  Bookmarque | Dec 21, 2014 |
What if you slept?
And what if in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if in your dream, you went to heaven
and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?
And what if, when you woke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah! What then? - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
For Sammy, who is both a reader and a writer. I love you to the moon and back. XOXO, Mom.
Ross Wakeman succeeded the first time he killed himself, but not the second or the third.
Love's not a because, it's a no matter what.
This is my land, and frankly I don't care if it's owned by retarded bald eagles in wheelchairs - I paid for it, fair and square.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743454510, Paperback)

Ghosts and ghost hunters collide in this compelling tale of the paranormal set in Vermont's green mountains. When the patriarch of the Abenaki Indian tribe that was nearly eradicated by that state's eugenics project in the 1930s encounters Ross Wakeman, the miraculous survivor of several attempted suicides who wants nothing more than to be reunited with the woman he loved and lost, they set in motion a chain of events that will unravel an ancient murder and lead to a second chance at life and love for the victim's descendants. Picoult, author of Salem Falls, brings the past alive and peoples it with a cast of extraordinarily well-realized characters whose reach into the future touches the lives of a dying boy, a frightened girl, and their mothers--two women who've given up on love until the revenants stirred up by a plan to develop an ancient burial ground show them what they're missing. Second Glance is an intricate and suspenseful ghost story that enchants and illuminates all the way to its powerful conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

A man's attempt to sell part of his property and the resulting Abenaki Indian tribe's protest that the land is a sacred burial ground spurs an investigation by ghost hunter Ross Wakeman, whose search for the truth leads to an encounter with a beautiful and mysterious woman named Lia and the discovery of a long-hidden murder haunting a small Vermont town.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,710,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible