Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Second Glance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jodi Picoult

2,303None2,744 (3.67)41
Member:rainpebble
Title:Second Glance
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2004), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Tags:paranormal

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (2003)

(7) 2008 (13) 2009 (7) Adult Fiction (8) contemporary fiction (9) ebook (7) Eugenics (46) family (10) fiction (207) ghost stories (14) ghosts (93) Indians (7) Jodi Picoult (15) love (17) mystery (22) Native Americans (12) novel (21) own (17) paranormal (28) Picoult (7) read (31) read in 2007 (6) read in 2008 (7) romance (15) suicide (10) supernatural (28) to-read (39) unowned (7) unread (16) Vermont (31)

English (52)  German (1)  All languages (53)
My favorite Jodi Picoult book! I love the ghost story aspect and the switching back and forth from past to present. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
I have yet to read a Picoult book that I did not like! And this one is great. I esp. like how Jodi herself uses some of her own ghostly encounters in the novel and frankly I'm surprised that this practice of uegenics went on in this country, in 33 states. Tha's shocking and appalling. ( )
  angelswing | Jul 25, 2013 |
From the SGG-thread :-)
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was extremely disappointed with this book. It was just so... all over the place. I've read some Picoult books before, so I'm used to dealing with all the different characters, but this was just plain ridiculous. I couldn't keep track of who was who or what they were doing. There was way too much going on. It also took me until about 3/4 of the way into to the book to realize that the ghost was actually real. I thought there was going to be some logical explanation for it all, but no, it was an actual paranormal book- I just wasn't expecting that and it really threw me off... and put me off. Definitely wouldn't recommend this one.
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I was skeptical when I began this book but turns out I loved it. It's a very interesting story about a young man whose fiance was killed in an auto accident and he is unable to get past it. It's about his sister who is raising a son who suffers from XP, a genetic disease that forces the victim to stay out of sunlight so their days are at night and their nights become their days. It's about an area of Vermont where the government decided to, and actually passed a law to sterilize, voluntarily of course (not), the indigent, the feeble minded, the destitute, the illiterate, and persons belonging to a particular Indian tribe. (This last part is true and the law, though it has been reworded, is still on the books in Vermont. All other states that passed similar laws in the 20s & 30s have wiped them from their books.) It is about the ghost of a lady who died in the 30s but continues to return as she has a story to tell. She finally finds someone who is sensitive enough to the unnatural who sees and hears her.
There are a lot of characters in this book and in the beginning it was a bit difficult to keep up with them all but it came. My only negative about the storyline is that the ending was sewn up quickly and that all came together just a bit too nicely for my taste. But it was overall a very good read and I gave it 4 stars. ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Dec 5, 2012 |
What if you slept?
And what if in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if in your dream, you went to heaven
and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?
And what if, when you woke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah! What then? - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
For Sammy, who is both a reader and a writer. I love you to the moon and back. XOXO, Mom.
Ross Wakeman succeeded the first time he killed himself, but not the second or the third.
Love's not a because, it's a no matter what.
This is my land, and frankly I don't care if it's owned by retarded bald eagles in wheelchairs - I paid for it, fair and square.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743454510, Paperback)

Ghosts and ghost hunters collide in this compelling tale of the paranormal set in Vermont's green mountains. When the patriarch of the Abenaki Indian tribe that was nearly eradicated by that state's eugenics project in the 1930s encounters Ross Wakeman, the miraculous survivor of several attempted suicides who wants nothing more than to be reunited with the woman he loved and lost, they set in motion a chain of events that will unravel an ancient murder and lead to a second chance at life and love for the victim's descendants. Picoult, author of Salem Falls, brings the past alive and peoples it with a cast of extraordinarily well-realized characters whose reach into the future touches the lives of a dying boy, a frightened girl, and their mothers--two women who've given up on love until the revenants stirred up by a plan to develop an ancient burial ground show them what they're missing. Second Glance is an intricate and suspenseful ghost story that enchants and illuminates all the way to its powerful conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:27 -0400)

A man's attempt to sell part of his property and the resulting Abenaki Indian tribe's protest that the land is a sacred burial ground spurs an investigation by ghost hunter Ross Wakeman, whose search for the truth leads to an encounter with a beautiful and mysterious woman named Lia and the discovery of a long-hidden murder haunting a small Vermont town.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible