Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Second Glance (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:rainpebble
Title:Second Glance
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2004), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Tags:paranormal

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (2003)

English (55)  German (1)  All languages (56)
Much like farmers manage their herds for superior stock, the population of Vermont was studied and charted and patterns emerged - patterns of families with undesirable traits, traits that caused them to be supported by the state in institutions such as prisons and 'homes for the feebleminded'. The plan was to sterilize these individuals so as to breed out the bad traits, mandated by the 1927 Sterilization Bill, leading to less state-supported individuals.

OMG! Did this really happen? Or is this just an author with an overactive imagination? A quick Google search confirmed it, the facts are there. Of course my next thought was - this sounds like Nazi Germany. More searching found that indeed Hitler used the United States' eugenics studies for his own master plan.

Back to the story - Second Glance has suspense and love and science and ghosts, a murder mystery, with some little-known history thrown in, albeit history that is better forgotten, but makes for a very interesting story.
  proofreeder | Sep 4, 2014 |
I loved this book! One of the best I have read by Jodi Picoult. Great ghost story! ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
My favorite Jodi Picoult book! I love the ghost story aspect and the switching back and forth from past to present. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
I have yet to read a Picoult book that I did not like! And this one is great. I esp. like how Jodi herself uses some of her own ghostly encounters in the novel and frankly I'm surprised that this practice of uegenics went on in this country, in 33 states. Tha's shocking and appalling. ( )
  angelswing | Jul 25, 2013 |
What if you slept?
And what if in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if in your dream, you went to heaven
and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?
And what if, when you woke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah! What then? - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
For Sammy, who is both a reader and a writer. I love you to the moon and back. XOXO, Mom.
Ross Wakeman succeeded the first time he killed himself, but not the second or the third.
Love's not a because, it's a no matter what.
This is my land, and frankly I don't care if it's owned by retarded bald eagles in wheelchairs - I paid for it, fair and square.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743454510, Paperback)

Ghosts and ghost hunters collide in this compelling tale of the paranormal set in Vermont's green mountains. When the patriarch of the Abenaki Indian tribe that was nearly eradicated by that state's eugenics project in the 1930s encounters Ross Wakeman, the miraculous survivor of several attempted suicides who wants nothing more than to be reunited with the woman he loved and lost, they set in motion a chain of events that will unravel an ancient murder and lead to a second chance at life and love for the victim's descendants. Picoult, author of Salem Falls, brings the past alive and peoples it with a cast of extraordinarily well-realized characters whose reach into the future touches the lives of a dying boy, a frightened girl, and their mothers--two women who've given up on love until the revenants stirred up by a plan to develop an ancient burial ground show them what they're missing. Second Glance is an intricate and suspenseful ghost story that enchants and illuminates all the way to its powerful conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:27 -0400)

A man's attempt to sell part of his property and the resulting Abenaki Indian tribe's protest that the land is a sacred burial ground spurs an investigation by ghost hunter Ross Wakeman, whose search for the truth leads to an encounter with a beautiful and mysterious woman named Lia and the discovery of a long-hidden murder haunting a small Vermont town.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible