SantaThing sign up ends in 5:23 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Explosiva barn : ett nytt sätt att…

Explosiva barn : ett nytt sätt att förstå och behandla… (edition 2003)

by Ross W. Greene, Gunilla Gerland

Member:bumbibjarne
Title:Explosiva barn : ett nytt sätt att förstå och behandla barn som har svårt att tåla motgångar och förändringar
Authors:Ross W. Greene
Other authors:Gunilla Gerland
Info:Stockholm : Cura, 2003
Rating:***1/2
Tags:barnpsykiatri, frustration, vredesutbrott, familj, förståelse, behandling

The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Ross W. Greene

If it works, it gets a fifth star. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
A realistic book on parenting to help children who present with challenges. It gives more realistic insight to the phrase "Choose your battles" . The best book I ever read to help my child with autism. Strategies are realistic with real life scenarios. I bought copies for the school library. ( )
  DeviTurner | Nov 2, 2016 |
This book leads the frustrated parent of a willful and "chronically inflexible child" from the vicious "power struggle" circle that at least this parent can't seem to avoid getting into w/ his 4-y.o. to the virtuous circle of collaborative problem solving. A real life saver. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This has been a helpful book to me, in dealing with an explosive eight-year-old boy.

Empathizing, detailing concerns, and inviting him to help me meet both of our needs helps to minimize the outbursts, and has taught me, perhaps most importantly, to understand why I am giving the rules and limitations I am. A parent who says no, just for the sake of establishing dominance is doing nothing worthwhile for the child. I regret that I am sometimes that parent. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Dec 15, 2015 |
I found this book very useful. Behaviorally, relationally and problem solving/coping skill development with a developmental consideration made this book a very good book for parents. ( )
  DrT | Jul 9, 2013 |
added by Jannekemulder | editBalans Digitaal (Sep 1, 2005)

Screaming, swearing, crying, hitting, kicking, spitting, biting...these are some of the challenging behaviors we see in kids who are having difficulty meeting our expectations. These behaviors often leave parents feeling frustrated, angry, overwhelmed, and desperate for answers. In this fully revised and updated book, Dr. Ross Greene helps you understand why and when your child does these things and how to respond in ways that are nonpunitive, nonadversarial, humane, and effective.

Dr. Greene describes how best to:

Understand the factors that contribute to challenging episodes.
Identify the specific situations in which challenging episodes are likely to occur.
Reduce or eliminate challenging episodes by solving the problems that cause them.
Solve problems collaboratively (rather than unilaterally) and proactively (rather than reactively).
Help your child develop the skills to be more flexible, solve problems, and handle frustration more adaptively.
Reduce hostility and antagonism between you and your child.
With Dr. Greene's practical, expert guidance, you and your child will forge a new relationship based on communication and mutual respect.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006077939X, Paperback)

Flexibility and tolerance are learned skills, as any parent knows if they've seen an irascible 2-year-old grow into a pleasant, thoughtful, and considerate older child. Unfortunately, for reasons that are poorly understood, a few children don't "get" this part of socialization. Years after toddler tantrums should have become an unpleasant memory, a few unlucky parents find themselves battling with sudden, inexplicable, disturbingly violent rages--along with crushing guilt about what they "did wrong." Medical experts haven't helped much: the flurry of acronyms and labels (Tourette's, ADHD, ADD, etc.) seems to proffer new discoveries about the causes of such explosions, when in fact the only new development is alternative vocabulary to describe the effects. Ross Greene, a pediatric psychologist who also teaches at Harvard Medical School, makes a bold and humane attempt in this book to cut through the blather and speak directly to the (usually desperate) parents of explosive children. His text is long and serious, and has the advantage of covering an enormous amount of ground with nuance, detail, and sympathy, but also perhaps the disadvantage that only those parents who are not chronically tired and time-deprived are likely to get through the entire book. Quoted dialogue from actual sessions with parents and children is interspersed with analysis that is always oriented toward understanding the origins of "meltdowns" and developing workable strategies for avoidance. Although pharmacological treatment is not the book's focus, there is a chapter on drug therapies. --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:54 -0400)

We've all seen an "explosive child": one who exhibits intense temper outbursts, sudden mood swings, extreme noncompliance, and verbal and physical aggression. For parents who seem to have tried everything, finally there is hope. In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Ross Greene provides a practical, compassionate approach to treating these children, who may be diagnosed with any of various psychiatric disorders, including oppositional-defiant disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, and Tourette's disorder. Drawing upon recent advances in the neurosciences and his extensive experience working with challenging children, Dr. Greene explains that they are not willfully destructive. Their behaviors stem from brain-based deficits in two critical developmental skills: flexibility and frustration tolerance. With Dr. Greene's sensitive, expert advice, you will find ways to defuse explosive episodes, reduce tension, and build a warm, lasting relationship with your child.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,645,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible