Alibi by Joseph Kanon

Alibi (2005)

by Joseph Kanon

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
Another solid outing from Kanon, who has yet to disappoint me. The Venice setting is so perfectly described throughout that I really feel as if my passport should have another entry stamped on it at this point. The plot and its resolution were terrific and the pacing was rarely off. Major and minor characters were all well developed and believable, and the only real nit I have about the whole package would involve the female lead, given that I felt sorry for her but I didn't feel a whole lot of sympathy for her by the end. But Kanon puts everyone through the wringer and no one comes out unscathed. And justice? Well, you could say that justice was a fluid thing in postwar Venice... ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Not the best Kanon, but ok for a doctor's office visit. A long one. He writes as though he knows Venice. And the Italians fascists. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Lots and lots of dialog which could have been shortened. Interesting story, one I have not read before or even thought about. ( )
  catsinstacks | Oct 27, 2015 |
My choice from the two books that were sent to me in the A-book-circle. Sounds interesting!
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a case of the whole being more than the sum of the parts. The two main characters are frequently unbelievable to the point of being archetypes. The two main plot twists are so silly as to be near absurd. Anyone who had read enough crime novels will be pretty sure of the outline of the ending halfway through. However the writing and pace are SO good that you won't care. His sense of place is more than good enough for an Anglosphere reader [I did a lot of business in the region over several decades and can nitpick]. His sense of period will again suffice for those not really fluent on Italian politics and history. All in all it was extremely good fun to the point that I read it every moment I could get free till I finished it, then went back to immediately reread a few choice scenes. It is really a pity that this wasn't made into the Hollywood movie instead of his 'the Good German' as this one would be much easier to shoot. ( )
  agingcow2345 | Jul 1, 2012 |
Kanon has chosen Venice as the unlikely location for his latest novel, "Alibi," and it turns out to have yielded his richest, most full-blooded work to date. Kanon ... has mastered the art of the historical thriller in which a specific time and place is integral to the story.

For David and Lizbeth Straus
After the war, my mother took a house in Venice.

Winner of the Hammett Prize

It is 1946, and Adam Miller has come to Venice to visit his widowed mother and try to forget the horrors he has witnessed as a U.S. Army war crimes investigator in Germany. But when he falls in love with Claudia, a Jewish woman scarred by her devastating experiences during World War II, he is forced to confront another Venice, a city still at war with itself, haunted by atrocities it would rather forget. Everyone, including his mother's suave new Venetian suitor, has been compromised by the occupation, and Adam finds himself at the center of a web of deception, intrigue, and unexpected moral dilemmas. When is murder acceptable? What are the limits of guilt? How much is someone willing to pay for a perfect alibi?

Alibi is at once a murder mystery, a love story, and a superbly crafted novel about the nature of moral responsibility.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

"It is 1946, and a stunned Europe is beginning its slow recovery from the ravages of World War II. Adam Miller has come to Venice to visit his widowed mother and try to forget the horrors he has witnessed as a U.S. Army war crimes investigator in Germany. Nothing has changed in Venice - not the beautiful palazzi, not the violins at Florian's, not the shifting water that makes the city, untouched by bombs, still seem a dream." "But when Adam falls in love with Claudia, a Jewish woman scarred by her devastating experiences during the war, he is forced to confront another Venice, a city still at war with itself, haunted by atrocities it would rather forget. Everyone, he discovers, has been compromised by the Occupation - the international set drinking at Harry's, the police who kept order for the Germans, and most of all Gianni Maglione, the suave and enigmatic Venetian doctor who happens to be his mother's new suitor. And when, finally, the troubled past erupts into violent murder, Adam finds himself at the center of a web of deception, intrigue, and unexpected moral dilemmas. When is murder acceptable? What are the limits of guilt? How much is someone willing to pay for a perfect alibi?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,293,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible