Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Aristotele detective by Margaret Anne Doody

Aristotele detective (original 1978; edition 2000)

by Margaret Anne Doody, Emanuele Ronchetti

Other authors:Emanuele Ronchetti
Info:Sellerio. La memoria 442
Rating:***
Tags:Letteratura canadese

Aristotle Detective by Margaret Doody (1978)

English (6)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Il giudizio è positivo per l'accurata ricostruzione storica e per la rappresentazione del metodo maieutico che Aristotele adotta con Stefanos.
Reso bene lo stile argomentativo su cui si regge la presenza di Aristotele, vero e proprio motore dell'indagine, come da titolo.
La trama però, nella vicenda spicciola, l'ho trovata poco appassionante. ( )
  Kazegafukuhi | Aug 10, 2013 |
Really excellent historical mystery with a young Athenian gentleman seeking to save his family's honor with the aid of Aristotle. Very good feel for ancient Greek culture and especially the workings of the Athenian legal system. The villain is an almost perfect example of hubris. Unfortunately, later books in this series were less satisfying, even ugly. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 21, 2013 |
This was written before the current vogue for this sort of thing, and I think Doody was in some doubt about how much historical detail her readers would be up for. She probably played it a bit too conservatively--a more vivd & detailed Aristotle and a few more tidbits about Greek culture & everyday life would have been better. But a solid effort. ( )
  ehines | Aug 19, 2012 |
My greatest surprise with this book is not the mystery itself, it is to discover Aristotle as a good guy. I always thought poorly of Aristotle: Much of his philosophy has been proven wrong (like the separation between "mind" and "heart") and was treated as part of the faith by the Catholic church for centuries. This endangered the progress of science and created plenty of religious conflicts. Although he is not responsible for the bad use made of his writings, I would not use him as a good guy in a novel. As a result, I found this series of Aristotle novels very entertaining. I was not surprised to discover later that she was a professor at the University of Notre-Dame. We cannot escape our roots! Excellent read, maybe lacking a bit of historical details. ( )
  claude_lambert | Dec 29, 2011 |
Nice little historical mystery. Very well researched as to period, and the Aristotle portrait was plausible, if not quite as I'd imagine him. I've always rather liked Aristotle.I also quite liked the narrator who played watson - not a major "character part" like Aristotle, but a nice young fellow. Good portrait of athenian home life. ( )
  krisiti | Jul 1, 2009 |

Margaret Doodyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rizzati, Maria LuisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister
Mary Elizabeth Howell-Jones
this book is affectionately dedicated
with the hope that it may please a real classicist

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible