A damsel in distress by P.G. Wodehouse

A damsel in distress (original 1919; edition 1919)

by P.G. Wodehouse (Author)

7201413,063 (4)29
Member:MikeBriggs
Title:A damsel in distress
Authors:P.G. Wodehouse (Author)
Info:George H. Doran Company, Digitized from 1919 volume, 374 KB
Collections:Your library, Nook, To read, TIoLI Challenege
Tags:Fiction, Classic, Digital Copy, ebook, Nook

A Damsel in Distress by P. G. Wodehouse (1919)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Laugh out loud funny! Twists, turns, subterfuge, and romance. Always a happy ending! What more can you ask for? Fredrick Davidson is a wonderful reader. Really captured the characters. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
As always Wodehouse's descriptions of characters and sitautions are hard to beat. ( )
  helynrob | Aug 13, 2013 |
It’s a long time since I read any PG Wodehouse but finding this one on my shelf I put aside a few hours to read it. I took a while to get into it, wondering how far the ‘deuce’s’ and ‘bally’s’ were simply of the era or if they were part of Wodehouse’s caricaturing of the landed gentry. It all seemed rather too obviously artificial.

Still, by the time I was halfway through, I found myself enjoying it more. I guess Wodehouse aficionados enjoy his style – the lightly humorous comparisons he makes, for example. I liked the way there was an echo of Victorian novels in his writing with the voice of the author clearly present, often at the start of chapters where he makes some sort of generalisation about human behaviour as a lead-in to what happens nest.

Then there were all the allusions to golf, another indication, perhaps, at Wodehouse’s intended audience. I can see that what this author does, he does well, but his very gently satirical look at human behaviour in the early 1900s now seems past its use by date to me. ( )
  evening | Aug 3, 2013 |
This is a great non-Jeeves story.... and Wodehouse also collaborated on the 30's movie version with Fred Astaire, George Burns, and Gracie Allen! Both book and movie are worth your time ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
This book was a Blandings book in the same way that [b:Cause Celeb|4529|Cause Celeb|Helen Fielding|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165445786s/4529.jpg|8162] featured Bridget Jones: the characters were often less hyperbolic, but readers can tell that the author started from a similar point with both books. In Helen Fielding's case, it was a British Singleton who couldn't keep a man. Cause Celeb ended up being much more serious than Bridget, but there were similar influences.

In that same light, this book resembled Wodehouse's world surrounding Blandings Castle. The book was slightly less absurd in many ways, but some of the characters were from the same source material. Lady Caroline, like Lady Constance, is a manifestation of Wodehouse's perpetual fear of domineering aunts. You have the slightly vacant Earl, the dotty cousin, and the young girl who has unwisely fallen for an improper man.

Unlike most of the Blandings books, A Damsel in Distress features a likeable hero instead of a judgmental nitwit I spend most of the book wanting to slap upside the head (for some of the Blandings books, I root for Galahad and completely ignore the main plot except where it provides me with delicious absurdity). George, an American composer, isn't one of Blandings Castle's sad saps who mopes when he thinks his gal just looked twice at another bloke. Instead, he's fairly forthright, genuine, and in possession of both humility and common sense. Without him, I still would have liked this book, but I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it to the extent that I did.

I also liked the Earl, who has slightly more substance than the Earl of Emsworth. He had a background and an active interest in his garden instead of sort of fluttering and fretting over it. Don't get me wrong: I love Clarence. It was just nice to see a gent who couldn't be tricked or tossed about by sucking up to him about his prized pig.

This book was a good deal of fun. I was amused and it actually caught me off guard a couple of times. Definitely recommend! ( )
1 vote eldashwood | Apr 17, 2013 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Korjula, J. V.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In as much as the scene of this story is that historic pile, Belpher Castle, in the county of Hampshire, it would be an agreeable task to open it with a leisurely description of the place, followed by some notes on the history of the Earls of Marshmoreton, who have owned it since the fifteenth century.
Unfortunately, in these days of rush and hurry, a novelist works at a disadvantage. He must leap into the middle of his tale with as little delay as he would employ in boarding a moving tramcar. He must get off the mark with the smooth swiftness of a jack-rabbit surprised while lunching. Otherwise, people throw him aside and go out to picture palaces.

Overlook Press/Everyman Wodehouse Library blurb:
The Earl of Marshmoreton's lively daughter - the damsel of the title - thinks she is in love with one Geoffrey Raymond, but a cheerful American song-writer called George Bevan knows better. After one meeting with her, when she climbs into his passing cab to escape from her pompous brother in London, George is dazzled. He pursues her to the family seat in Hampshire and does battle for her hand with her brother, their snobbish aunt and a father who would do anything for a quiet life. Love triumphs in the end with the unwitting help of a sporting butler, and a page boy with golden curls and no conscience, making this one of Wodehouse's most charming early comedies.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014001599X, Paperback)

There are some rather unusual things going on at Belpher Castle ...For one thing, the Earl's sister is set on pairing off her stepson, Reggie, and niece, lady Patricia (known as Maud). Maud, on the other hand, is after Geoffrey Raymon, and she is also being pursued by the unacceptable composer George Bevan. Love, anarchy, machiavellian plots, silly asses ...perfect Wodehouse reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:45 -0400)

When Maud flings herself into George's car in Piccadilly, he starts believing in damsels in distress. He traces his mysterious travelling companion to Belpher Castle where things become severely muddled.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,906,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible