A Gentleman of Leisure by P. G. Wodehouse

A Gentleman of Leisure (1910)

by P. G. Wodehouse

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
Enjoyable but not one of Wodehouse's best. Mark Nelson did a very good narration in this LibriVox edition. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 28, 2018 |
Part of a series of reprints; this story was originally published in 1910. In spite of the reviews I read after I bought the book (fortunately), I'm enjoying it.

Some thoughts while reading: Wodehouse assumes the reader is intelligent and that he doesn't need to explain everything. I am, however, a bit perplexed about why a smart young man, who briefly was a reporter, is unable to discover the name of the woman he saw from afar on a ship: weren't passenger lists with addresses available? And once he learns that her father is a policeman, couldn't he contact a newspaper colleague to see who was known to demand payments from thieves if they wanted to operate in New York. (While Bertie Wooster only suspected that judges got rich pocketing the fines they gave out, here we have a policeman who definitely becomes wealthy by collecting graft. Wodehouse doesn't seem to have any ethical problems with this, although the character does keep his activities secret from his daughter.)

Having finished the book, it turns out, that in spite of all the complications, everything works out very nicely. ( )
  raizel | Jul 22, 2016 |
"The Intrusion of Jimmy" is in my opinion one of P. G. Wodehouse's weakest novels. Apart from a few flashes of brilliance here and there, I found this somewhat dull. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jun 30, 2015 |
I’d like to begin by saying that I LOVE the Jeeves novels. They never fail to make me laugh, even when I’m in a bad mood. Perhaps it’s because I enjoy those so much that this one fell flat. Knowing what Wodehouse is capable of makes this effort a disappointment.

Jimmy falls in love at first sight with an American named Molly while traveling across the Atlantic. Later an unwise wager involving robbing a house leads to lots of misunderstandings and an awkward meeting between Molly’s father and Jimmy. The ensuing complications, including a young thief, a party at a country house and a young lord with a desire to marry for love instead of money, make up the rest of the plot.

Unfortunately those elements don’t add up to much. The novel lacks the hilarious scenes that Jeeves’ droll presence adds to Wodehouse’s other books. Without Jeeves the flighty, rich young man character just doesn’t work as well. That plucky, but clueless chap needs the grounding gravity of Jeeves and without it the story falls flat.

BOTTOM LINE: Skip it and head straight to the Jeeves books. It doesn’t matter where you start, they’re all funny. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 30, 2014 |
This is a fairly early Wodehouse and he hadn't quite hit his straps. There is some sparkling dialogue but it's fairly far and few between and the plot is a little plodding. I still enjoyed it and it's nice to have a bit more realism on the characterisation front. I love the later, rollicking "musical comedy" style Wodehouse, but this was still a very pleasant variation. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 5, 2013 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nelson, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

To Douglas Fairbanks who many years ago played 'Jimmy' in the dramatised version of this novel
The main smoking-room of the Strollers' Club had been filling for the last half-hour, and was now nearly full.
The novel was provisionally titled Black Sheep prior to publication. UK title 'A Gentleman of Leisure', US title 'The Intrusion of Jimmy'.

It is a substantially revised and expanded version of an earlier novella called 'The Gem Collector.' "The Gem Collector" is substantially different and should not be combined here.

The book was later adapted as a play and retitled Thief for a Night. This should also not be combined.

Jimmy Pitt, rich, generous, popular American bachelor, has fallen in love with an unknown girl on a transatlantic liner. He bets a friend at the Strollers Club in New York that he can break into a house. Unfortunately he selects the house of Police Captain McEachern.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:41 -0400)

The action begins with bachelor Jimmy Pitt in New York; having fallen in love on a transatlantic liner, he befriends a small-time burglar and breaks into a police captain's house as a result of a bet. The cast of characters head to England, and from there on it is a typically Wodehousean romantic story, set at the stately Dreever Castle, overflowing with impostors, detectives, crooks, scheming lovers and conniving aunts. (Excerpt from Wikipedia)… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,223,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible