Britten (Great Composers) by Imogen Holst

Britten (Great Composers) (edition 1980)

by Imogen Holst

Info:Faber and Faber (1980), Edition: 3rd Revised edition, Hardcover, 96 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Music, Biography

Britten (Great Composers) by Imogen Holst

At a mere 95 pages, it is tempting to pass over this biography in favour of a more meaty offering. Thank goodness that I did not! This is a wonderful invocation of Benjamin Britten.

Imogen Holst, the author, worked with Britten for many years and, whilst this is a very lean telling of the great man's story, it is one laced with affection and understanding. Anyone who has followed my reviews - and by some miracle retained their sanity - will know that the most important criteria that I set to the biography of a creative talent is whether the biographer makes me want to revisit the subject's work. I may cut this piece short as I need to rifle my CD collection for every work of Britten's that I possess.

It is amazing to realise just how much Ms Holst has managed to squeeze in to a book of so few pages and so many illustrations because, not only have I been treated to Britten's life story, I have also been given an understanding of why he produced many of his greatest works. Naturally, a composer's work should stand unaided, but comprehension of the mindset and circumstances which lead to the birth of a piece of music adds an extra dimension and this little work has done that for me.

If you read nothing else about Benjamin Britten, I strongly advise you to devour a copy of this excellent book. If you are a Britten fan, it will add to the pleasure and if you are not, it just might convert you. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Dec 10, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible