Bone Volume 1: Out From Boneville by Jeff…

Bone Volume 1: Out From Boneville (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Jeff Smith

Member:fbeltran
Title:Bone Volume 1: Out From Boneville
Authors:Jeff Smith
Info:Scholastic (2005), Paperback, 144 pages

Bone #1 by Jeff Smith (1998)

Recently added byL0r0, etborg, Junmingg, private library, lorenaumc, CBC, CandiceSlater, b7shel7, PSUBeaverLibrary

English (121)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (123)
My blog post about thie book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jan 25, 2015 |
I've been aware of this series but never got around to reading it until a strong recommendation told me to pick it up. I wasn't disappointed. Funny, clever, and suspense all wrapped up in one book. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jan 16, 2015 |
I have long thought about reading this series, but the whim came and went, and never moved me strongly enough to actually procure a copy. It's strange what random occurrences can shift my reading: I was doing a bit of research on terms related to graphic novels, for a lesson I was writing, and came across an article describing the educational advantages for teaching with this format. The article also described a variety of quality graphic books for a range of age levels, and Bone once again came to my attention. This time, I took the book up on its offer.

I'm glad I did. Bone is a good story that is different from other graphic novels I have read. At times it possesses the light and comic touch of the Sunday morning funnies, and at other times it evinces a dark and more serious tone similar to epic comic stories. The two styles blend seamlessly in a fun and adventurous story, that has a plot compelling enough to command my attention, but enough lightness offsetting the dark that I can even read it with my daughters.

The story begins with three bones, small little creatures that are rounded and white, and while their appearance is simple and streamlined, their personalities are vibrant and distinct. We quickly learn that Fone Bone is the settled one of the group, the thinker, the one with a stronger moral compass. Phoney Bone is the crank, who cares more about money than anything else, and will use cunning and crooked means to get it. Smiley Bone is the mellow one, laid back and funny, although sometimes his is a dry and sarcastic humor. We also learn in the first few pages that the trio have been run off from Boneville, their home town; to be precise, Phoney Bone was run out of town because of one of his underhanded shenanigans, and Fone and Smiley went with him to help, as he's their cousin.

Unfortunately, they are lost in a desert that is literally off the map, at least any Boneville map. Their troubles grow when a crowd of locusts runs them off a cliff. Fone Bone realizes he has been separated from his cousins, and ventures off in pursuit of them. He stumbles into a lush valley, just when he is thinking he will die of thirst, but then he is attacked by rat creatures and surprised by a sudden onslaught of winter. Fone survives his ordeals, and makes some friends in the forest, but spends months searching for his cousins with no success. Eventually, Fone meets the girl Thorn, who takes him back to her farmhouse, and promises to help him look for his family. This is just the first half of the book; after meeting Thorn, for whom Fone develops a crush, Fone is reunited with Phoney at Granma Ben's farm, rat creatures attack at night and the farm is destroyed (but tough Granma Ben is safe), the group retreats to Barrelhaven, and Fone is finally reunited with Smiley. Oh yes, and Phoney is visited by a super creepy creature in a robe, who intimates that the crooked Bone knows more about what is going on than he is admitting too. The entire volume was a fun and fast-paced ride.

I started reading this book on my own, but my girls saw it and wanted me to read it to them, and then it morphed into our bedtime story. In six nights we finished the first book, and my girls were clamoring for more the next day. Clearly they like it. I also am very pleased with the Bone series. The setting is interesting, the characters are great, and the plot is a blend of funny and scary and suspenseful and uplifting. The first book sets up several intriguing narrative threads that are sure to have a big impact on the story and the characters, and I am eager to read more to see how everything develops. ( )
1 vote nmhale | Jan 9, 2015 |
This is another book in high demand in my classroom library. If you are looking to introduce some graphic novels into your library, this is a good place to start. This book intrigues reluctant readers, and I have found that my dyslexic and low benchmark readers really take to the pictures and story. Don’t be afraid of the comic book style, this is a must have. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |
Not a bad graphic novel. Read this to Marcus as part of his read-aloud that we still do. Looking forward to reading all the books with him each night. ( )
  ajohnson2371 | Nov 7, 2014 |
It’s an all-ages fantasy romp that truly lives up to the description: there’s something here for everyone and all generations.

Jeff Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MARTINS, JOTAPETranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Still no sign of the townspeople.

The cornerstone of GRAPHIX, our new graphic novel imprint, BONE is the incredible comic book saga of the unwitting hero who must save an idyllic valley from the forces of evil.

The BONE adventures tell the story of a young bone boy, Fone Bone, and his two cousins, Phoney Bone and Smiley Bone, who are banned from their homeland of Boneville. When the cousins find themselves mysteriously trapped in a wonderful but often terrifying land filled with secrets and danger - and special new friendships - they are soon caught up in adventures beyond their wildest dreams.

In OUT FROM BONEVILLE, the three Bone cousins are separated and lost in a vast uncharted desert. One by one, they find their way into a deep, forested valley where they come face to face with...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:47 -0400)

Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are run out of their home, Boneville, and become separated in the wilds, but better fortune begins when the three cousins reunite at a farmstead in a deep forested valley, where Fone meets a young girl named Thorn. In Out From Boneville, volume 1 of this 9-book epic, the three Bone cousins, Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone, are separated and lost in a vast, uncharted desert. One by one, they find their way into a deep, forested valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creatures. Eventually, the cousins are reunited at a farmstead run by tough Gran'ma Ben and her spirited granddaughter Thorn. But little do the Bones know, there are dark forces conspiring against them, and their adventures are only just beginning!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,160,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible