Bone Volume 3: Eyes of the Storm by Jeff…

Bone Volume 3: Eyes of the Storm (original 2006; edition 1997)

by Jeff Smith

Member:brightcopy
Title:Bone Volume 3: Eyes of the Storm
Authors:Jeff Smith
Info:Cartoon Books (1997), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:comics, fantasy, humor

Bone Volume 3: Eyes of the Storm by Jeff Smith (2006)

Much more interesting than I was prepared for. The throw-back youthfulness and simplicity of the artwork, and the fantasy genre of the material, had set me up for the kind of story that isn't usually up my alley, but the character work and the subtext of both the dialogue and the artwork made for a fun and eventually fascinating read. By the time I finished this, I wished I'd started at the beginning and was itching to read the rest. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is another masterpiece in the collected bone series. This book answers some of the questions that readers have from reading the previous two volumes, but does not answer enough to take away from the overall mystery that has been built. The beauty is that it intensifies the mystery aspect of the story instead of taking away. When certain plot points are revealed it feels like we are more invested in the characters and want to know the rest of the details that are being hidden from us by the master craftsman of writing that is Jeff Smith. In some creator-owned series after awhile it seems that the artwork begins to take a hit (which was a fear since this became a popular series where Jeff Smith could have been asked to work for other comic book publishers) but it never does. It keeps the same high level of artistic whimsy that the original volume and the second one held. I highly recommend this and the previous volumes if you want to see how one can successfully create a mystery over a longer period of time without giving all the cookies away. I think almost anyone of any age could enjoy this book if given the chance and one looks past the "graphic novel" aspect that seems to irk some people. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
The story progresses, and things are getting a bit darker. After spending time rebuilding Granma Ben's farm, the unusual band of adventurers are settling into more normal routines. At night, however, the ominous warnings continue. Thorn dreams that she is a princess, and is lured over by a shadowy man in a cloak, who looks and sounds like the mysterious villain introduced earlier in the series. However, when she gets to him, the cloak is thrown back to reveal Fone Bone. Fone, meanwhile, has his own strange dream. Borrowing from his favorite book, Fone dreams he is on a ship hunting the great white whale. When they finally spot him, however, he turns out not to be a whale at all, but a red dragon.

The next morning, Smiley and Phoney Bone are rounded up by Lucius, to head back to Barrelhaven and work off their debt to him. Meanwhile, Thorn and Fone talk about confronting Granma Ben over the secrets she is holding. A storm moves, and as it breaks, two conflicts also crash around them: Thorn angrily confronts her grandmother, and Lucius and the boys are chased by rat creatures. The boys get away when Smiley goads the horses to pull their cart over a cliff. Fortunately, they crash into a river and survive. Meanwhile, Granma Ben storms out into the rain to avoid Thorn's questions. Thorn and Fone chase her, and they are surrounded by rat creatures. In desperation, Fone calls out to the red dragon for help. Although Granma Ben tries to muffle him, the dragon does come, and they are saved.

Granma is finally ready to give some answers. She explains the history of the area: in this valley there once was a great kingdom ruled by people, called Atheia. The dragons ruled the mountains on one side, and the rats on the other. The rats wanted the valley, so they went to war with the humans. Eventually the war ended with the people still in control of the valley. Then the rats began attacking again, but this time they were smarter and crueler. The ruling family had to flee, and hide with the dragons, but in the process, the king and queen were killed, leaving their daughter behind. Thorn was that daughter.

In Barrelhaven, Phoney and Smiley have returned to their old antics. Phoney bet Lucius that he could do more business in the bar, forgetting that the whole town hates him. When he is losing the bet, he further alienates the town with insults, and unthinkingly wishes the dragon were there to protect him when the crowd gets unruly. The men are instantly arrested by the word, and demand more details about this dragon. In the hubbub, a mysterious figure takes Lucius aside and gives him a signal. The story then cuts to the bad guy, who is creepier every time we see him. This time, the crowd of locus comes swarming around his head for a little chat, before flying off on some unknown errand. He then walks up a rickety rope bridge to a cave, where he reports to a voice. So, creepy cloak guy is not the head boss. This volume ends with Granma Ben informing Thorn and Fone that she has received word that things have changed, and they need to go. They pack their belongings - including a sword and shield - and leave their house.

A lot of background is divulged in this book (making my review rather long). Some secrets are answered, but many more remain to be explored. The villain is increasingly fascinating and scary. The plot deepens, but the humor remains. Each volume adds more layers to its characters, and builds my attachment to them. The world is building out, too, as we learn more about its history and domains. I am quite intrigued by this story, and eager to read the next installment. However, I will start screening them before I read them to my girls. Affairs are getting darker, which works to make the story interesting to me, but might be too much for my little ones. This series may need to be one they read when they are older. I'll have the books ready to go for them, though, because I am on board and look forward to reading the next volume. ( )
  nmhale | Oct 4, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 4, 2015 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
Este libro es para mis padres, Barbara Goodsell y William Earl Smith
¡Arriba, en lo alto de la cofa, estaba el loco Tashtego!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439706386, Paperback)

As the first Bone trilogy comes to a conclusion, questions are answered, mysteries are revealed, and the stage is set for the brewing conflict in the valley. Jeff Smith is in top form in Bone: Eyes of the Storm. His artful balancing of humor, suspense, and pathos makes for an unforgettable reading experience. The dream sequences in this volume are inspired pieces of comics storytelling, especially the six-page "Moby Bone" sequence: the pacing, illustration, symbolism, and panel layout are close to perfect. A special addition to this collection is a set of more than 40 pages that have been retouched from the already near-perfect original comics. There are also 5 never-before-seen story pages and 9 new illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

Lucius, Smiley and Phoney are attacked by rat creatures in the forrest, barely making it to Lucius' tavern. At the farm, Fone Bone and Thorn are having strange dreams and Gran'ma Ben suddenly begins revealing long-kept secrets and new dangers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,786,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible