Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Bone by Jeff Smith

Bone (2004)

by Jeff Smith

Recently added byoharring, HertfordLC, amradio, adrenalexpire, EverettPantaloons, O_Hozomeen, private library
    Digger, Vol. 1 by Ursula Vernon (Anonymous user)
    The Hobbit: A Graphic Novel by J. R. R. Tolkien (sibyllacumaea)
    Digger, Vol. 4 by Ursula Vernon (Anonymous user)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The main character of Bone, Fone Bone, considers Moby Dick to be the greatest literary work of all time. He is often found reading it.
    The New Brighton Archeological Society by Mark Andrew Smith (FFortuna)
    Broxo by Zack Giallongo (rarm)
    Castle Waiting by Linda Medley (FFortuna)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Percevan)

English (40)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  All languages (42)
Jeff Smith started the Bone series back in 1994 when I was but a meager ten year old. I can vividly remember going to the grocery store with my Mother and begging her to buy me the latest issue of Disney Adventures. Due to my insistent whining, my Mom finally caved and bought it for me. When I got home and cracked the cover, I eventually made my way to their comics section and gazed upon Fone Bone for the first time.

To the best of my knowledge, that was the only exposure to Jeff Smith’s Boneville I'd ever received. Years later (19 to be exact), my curiosity got the better of me and I grabbed the complete omnibus from my local library. Outside of this panel, which for whatever reason stuck with me through the years, I knew next to nothing about the character or his story.

Fone Bone and his two cousins, Smiley and Phoney, are driven from Boneville following an outlandish scheme involving Phoney's bid for the Mayor. Lost and alone, the three are trying to find their way home. Following an unplanned separation, the Bone cousins will soon embark on an epic journey involving dragons, rat creatures and a simmering conflict that is about to boil over.

It took Smith ten long years to fully play out the Bone saga and while he amassed 1,300 pages, it felt like a quick read. In theory, something that takes that long to write and kills that many trees should not be something you can knock out in a week. However, Smith's storytelling moved it along at such a brisk pace that I hardly noticed how much I was consuming in one sitting.

I will say that while I really enjoyed this book, I wouldn't recommend reading the black and white omnibus. While the artwork is still something to admire, the full color versions are that much better. Just looking around online, I spotted a few comparison shots that really show off just how tremendous those colorful pages are. If you can stomach paying the additional cost associated with the full color version, I would recommend choosing that one.

Bone is something that will occupy your lap or the arm of your favorite reading chair, not your palms. Hey, if you really want to try and hold this in your hands, don’t blame me if your wrists unexpectedly snap. This is one seriously big book. Smith did divide the epic into 9 separate volumes, all of which are full color and a little easier to grasp. While I did borrow this from the library, it is something I would eventually like to own and I believe the individual volumes may be the best route to go. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I am so excited to add this to the list. I love this book. Bone starts out as a happy fantasy story of three cousins who are lost in a mysterious valley. While running away from rat creatures being saved by dragons and trying to save their hide from the mysterious hooded one they fall into an age old battle. As the storyline progresses, things get much more serious. We learn about some family secrets, old gods, and some very dangerous bad guys. The Bones, along with Thorn, and Grandma Ben will need to enlist in the help of the Red Dragon to save the valley ( or even the world).

I think fantasy lovers would really enjoy the story. It starts out as a happy comic, but gets very serious as it progresses. The way Smith does it, is very convincing instead of jarring like other books with the same concept can be. There is really no fowl language or large sexual content so tweens/ and young readers could happy wallow through the over 1,000 page epic. Another fun piece is most of the story's landscape was inspired by Ohio's state park Hocking Hills! For those who would rather not have the large 1 volume, the series can be found in the trades ( some of these may be in color, but the original story is in black and white). I would recommend this book to adventure readers as well. ( )
  DeweyEver | Mar 29, 2014 |
My favorite character is Bartleby. It was the rat-creature that likes quiche, but now it's Bartleby. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 22, 2014 |
Bone has it all: dragons, humans, cute round bone brothers, stupid stupid rat creatures, quiche, bartelby, small mammals escaping from becoming quiche, more stupid rat creatures, interracial wars, princesses... But what Bone excels at is making each an every deliciously enjoyable character and adventure work in a magnificent plot. Bone is funny, it's engrossing, it's exciting. At times it is all about action, and at others, it is about growing up.
The first person I lent Bone to, a scientist, read it in one day. All 1300 pages of it. The second person told me, "I am such a slow reader. I read it in a week." I begged and begged for a certain someone to read it, she resisted for 2 years, and when she finally did, she read it in less than a week. For all three of these people, Bone was the first graphic novel/story they have read. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
Three Bones, Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone, are run out of Boneville after Phoney Bone tries to pull a scam on the townspeople. They get separated in a desert. Fone Bone, the most honest of the bunch, eventually finds marooned in a beautiful valley. All is not as peaceful as it appears, however. There are rat creatures trying to eat Fone Bone and an enigmatic dragon who keeps saving his skin.

This has potential, but it didn't really get anywhere in this first installment. I had more questions when I finished it than I did when I started it. I can't think of one question that got answered. That's the biggest reason I rated this three stars.

I did like the artwork. It reminded me of the cartoons I watched as a child.

I don't really have anything else to say. I don't feel like I know enough about what's going on to add anything else.

Readers more patient than I am will probably like this more than I did. I just want to have something explained. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
"This book is for Vijaya".
Bone "Still no sign of the townspeople".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 188896314X, Paperback)

An American graphic novel first! The complete 1300-page epic adventure from start to finish in one deluxe trade paperback. Three modern cartoon cousins get lost in a pre-technological valley, speanding a year there making new friends and out-running dangerous enemies. Their many adventures include crossing the local people in The Great Cow Race, and meeting a giant mountain lion called RockJaw: Master of the Eastern Border. They learn about sacrifice and hardship in The Ghost Circles and finally discover their own true natures in the climatic journey to The Crown of Horns.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:33 -0400)

Three modern cartoon cousins get lost in a pre-technological valley, spending a year there making new friends and out-running dangerous enemies, in a compilation of the creator's Bone series all in one binding.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,742,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible