Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley

Flags of Our Fathers (2000)

by James Bradley, Ron Powers

Gives you a inside view of the men that raised the flag on Iwo Jima and the Marines that fought there..
  MarcusG | Nov 7, 2012 |
The reading of Flags of Our Fathers was very timely. February 19th marked the anniversary of the famous flag raising on Iwo Jima, Japan. The first word that comes to mind when I think about Flags of our Fathers is respect. This was a book written with the utmost respect, not only for the author's own father, but for the other five men responsible for raising the flag on Japan's Iwo Jima. Everyone knows the photograph born of that historical event but not many can name the six men involved. In fact, even fewer would guess there were six men there. Unless you scrutinize the photograph, at first glance, there are only four. James Bradley, with the help of Ron Powers, brings to life all six men. He brings them out of historical obscurity and into present-day focus. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 2, 2012 |
Perfect for those still enamored with war. Enlightening and all too realistic.
William E. Colby Award (2001)
Alex Award (2001)
New York Times bestseller (Nonfiction, 2000)
ALA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults (2004.04 | If It Weren’t For Them: Heroes, 2004)
Amazon.com Best Books (2000)
  mbayle | Jul 30, 2011 |
Really good book. I would say that it is really cool how he gets you almost inside the head of the people who raised the flag. ( )
  champak258 | Nov 3, 2010 |
Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley with Ron Powers was my next book. While the concept of this book is interesting, it took a lot for me to really get into it. This was a book about the men in the photo that put up the U.S. Flag on the hill in Iwo Jima. James Bradley’s father was one of those men. He wondered about why his father didn’t talk about it and about the other men in that picture. Basically this book goes through the boys/young men that went to war with the Japanese in WWII. It was not the war and the HUGE respect and thankfulness I have for what these men did for us that stood in the way of this book for me. I’m not quiet sure what it was really but I want to say it dragged for me at first but I do not want to seem disrespectful about what they did for us.

The book follows the guys, told about what they were like and how they entered, the new approach to war and their personal history, what it was like for them and their response to the notoriety of the actual picture/event, the errors in publicity about it, and the horror of war and what was seen while there, the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder consequences, the death of many of our men, and how some of them tried to get back into normal life but had difficulty in various ways. I’m thankful they were able to put down a plaque for their father and write about what it was like, and how these people were real people that risked and gave their lives and some of the lucky ones that were able to make it through. Ira Hayes was one of the men that was among those men that helped raise our flag, how he drank a lot, was arrested a ton of time, how others wanted the fame and how others wanted it to be known for the heroes of all the men that were there not just the little group that put up that flag, how they just did what anybody would have done-“If somebody needed help you would help them” and how the whole situation was great because of their willingness to risk their lives and give their lives. I appreciated that about the book, was sorry about a lot of it, and it grew on me as I read it. I’d have to give it a 2 out of 5 stars though. I’m glad I got through it but I don’t think I’ll read it again. I will continue to teach my children to respect our military men and women and to understand what they gave up for us. I hope this little thread is not offensive to anybody. I know there was more to write about this book but I’ll just leave it where it is. I’d be happy to talk to you all more about it if you have any questions. ( )
  DrT | Oct 4, 2010 |

James Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powers, Ronmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mothers should negotiate between nations.

The mothers of the fighting countries would agree:

Stop this killing now. Stop it now.

-Yoshikuni Taki
Dedicated to the Memory of

Belle Block, Kathryn Bradley, Irene Gagnon, Nancy Hayes, Goldie Price, Martha Strank, and all mothers who sent their boys to war.
In the spring of 1998, six boys called to me from half a century ago on a distant mountain and I went there.
2000 edition: Flags of our fathers / James Bradley with Ron Powers;
juvenile adaptation issued in 2001 as: Flags of Our Fathers; Heroes of Iwo Jima

This book was the basis of the movie 'Flags of Our Fathers.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553384155, Paperback)

The Battle of Iwo Jima, fought in the winter of 1945 on a rocky island south of Japan, brought a ferocious slice of hell to earth: in a month's time, more than 22,000 Japanese soldiers would die defending a patch of ground a third the size of Manhattan, while nearly 26,000 Americans fell taking it from them. The battle was a turning point in the war in the Pacific, and it produced one of World War II's enduring images: a photograph of six soldiers raising an American flag on the flank of Mount Suribachi, the island's commanding high point.

One of those young Americans was John Bradley, a Navy corpsman who a few days before had braved enemy mortar and machine-gun fire to administer first aid to a wounded Marine and then drag him to safety. For this act of heroism Bradley would receive the Navy Cross, an award second only to the Medal of Honor.

Bradley, who died in 1994, never mentioned his feat to his family. Only after his death did Bradley's son James begin to piece together the facts of his father's heroism, which was but one of countless acts of sacrifice made by the young men who fought at Iwo Jima. Flags of Our Fathers recounts the sometimes tragic life stories of the six men who raised the flag that February day--one an Arizona Indian who would die following an alcohol-soaked brawl, another a Kentucky hillbilly, still another a Pennsylvania steel-mill worker--and who became reluctant heroes in the bargain. A strongly felt and well-written entry in a spate of recent books on World War II, Flags gives a you-are-there depiction of that conflict's horrible arenas--and a moving homage to the men whom fate brought there. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:50 -0400)

Chronicles one of the bloodiest battles of World War II, focusing on the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,661,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible