Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley

Flags of Our Fathers (2000)

by James Bradley, Ron Powers

This edition was adapted for young people and won the Alex Award and William E. Colby Award in 2001. James Bradley tells the story of the six men who raised the U.S. flag on Iwo Jima. This image is iconic in American History and raised the morale of US citizens in 1945. Bradley writes in a fluent narrative that allows readers to feel as if they are part of the story. The photographs and maps included help students understand the time period.
  PikeH | Jul 31, 2015 |
Gives you a inside view of the men that raised the flag on Iwo Jima and the Marines that fought there..
  MarcusG | Nov 7, 2012 |
The reading of Flags of Our Fathers was very timely. February 19th marked the anniversary of the famous flag raising on Iwo Jima, Japan. The first word that comes to mind when I think about Flags of our Fathers is respect. This was a book written with the utmost respect, not only for the author's own father, but for the other five men responsible for raising the flag on Japan's Iwo Jima. Everyone knows the photograph born of that historical event but not many can name the six men involved. In fact, even fewer would guess there were six men there. Unless you scrutinize the photograph, at first glance, there are only four. James Bradley, with the help of Ron Powers, brings to life all six men. He brings them out of historical obscurity and into present-day focus. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 2, 2012 |
Perfect for those still enamored with war. Enlightening and all too realistic.
William E. Colby Award (2001)
Alex Award (2001)
New York Times bestseller (Nonfiction, 2000)
ALA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults (2004.04 | If It Weren’t For Them: Heroes, 2004)
Amazon.com Best Books (2000)
  mbayle | Jul 30, 2011 |
Really good book. I would say that it is really cool how he gets you almost inside the head of the people who raised the flag. ( )
  champak258 | Nov 3, 2010 |

James Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powers, Ronmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mothers should negotiate between nations.

The mothers of the fighting countries would agree:

Stop this killing now. Stop it now.

-Yoshikuni Taki
Dedicated to the Memory of

Belle Block, Kathryn Bradley, Irene Gagnon, Nancy Hayes, Goldie Price, Martha Strank, and all mothers who sent their boys to war.
In the spring of 1998, six boys called to me from half a century ago on a distant mountain and I went there.
2000 edition: Flags of our fathers / James Bradley with Ron Powers;
juvenile adaptation issued in 2001 as: Flags of Our Fathers; Heroes of Iwo Jima

This book was the basis of the movie 'Flags of Our Fathers.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553384155, Paperback)

The Battle of Iwo Jima, fought in the winter of 1945 on a rocky island south of Japan, brought a ferocious slice of hell to earth: in a month's time, more than 22,000 Japanese soldiers would die defending a patch of ground a third the size of Manhattan, while nearly 26,000 Americans fell taking it from them. The battle was a turning point in the war in the Pacific, and it produced one of World War II's enduring images: a photograph of six soldiers raising an American flag on the flank of Mount Suribachi, the island's commanding high point.

One of those young Americans was John Bradley, a Navy corpsman who a few days before had braved enemy mortar and machine-gun fire to administer first aid to a wounded Marine and then drag him to safety. For this act of heroism Bradley would receive the Navy Cross, an award second only to the Medal of Honor.

Bradley, who died in 1994, never mentioned his feat to his family. Only after his death did Bradley's son James begin to piece together the facts of his father's heroism, which was but one of countless acts of sacrifice made by the young men who fought at Iwo Jima. Flags of Our Fathers recounts the sometimes tragic life stories of the six men who raised the flag that February day--one an Arizona Indian who would die following an alcohol-soaked brawl, another a Kentucky hillbilly, still another a Pennsylvania steel-mill worker--and who became reluctant heroes in the bargain. A strongly felt and well-written entry in a spate of recent books on World War II, Flags gives a you-are-there depiction of that conflict's horrible arenas--and a moving homage to the men whom fate brought there. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

Chronicles one of the bloodiest battles of World War II, focusing on the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,716,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible