Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley

Flags of Our Fathers (2000)

by James Bradley, Ron Powers

Narrated by Stephen Hoye. The author was never fully aware of his father’s experience in the battle of Iwo Jima during WWII, especially his role in the famous flag-raising picture, until after his father’s death. Through interviews with Iwo survivors, family members, and relatives of Iwo soldiers, the author tells the story of the horrors of battle, the two flag-raisings, and the reluctant heroes that were the three surviving flag-raisers: his father Doc Bradley, Rene Gagnon and Ira Hayes. Very rich story; really learned a lot about WWII and the Pacific battles, and the famous picture will forever have additional meaning for me. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Audio book read by Stephen Hoye

A lucky photograph captured the imagination of the American people and helped raise the spirits of a nation (and LOTS of money in war bonds). This is the background story of the famous shot of the flag being raised on Iwo Jima.

Author James Bradley’s father was one of those six young men whose lives were changed by a photographer taking one more shot. In trying to explain his father’s long years of silence about his experiences during World War 2, Bradley discovered not only John “Doc” Bradley’s story, but that of the other men who fought to take Iwo Jima.

Though he spends a good part of the book giving us background on the six young men whose destinies would converge on Mount Suribachi during one of the bloodiest battles of the war in the Pacific, Bradley manages to keep the story moving forward. He walks a fine line between personal anecdote and the tension of a battlefield report.

Stephen Hoye is best when reading the battle scenes. When he slows down to give importance to a phrase or section his voice takes on an irritating quality that detracts from the message. Trust the listener, Mr Hoye. We will figure out what is important without your “acting” it for us. Despite this irritation, I still give the book 5 stars because Bradley’s work is gripping, emotional, dramatic, touching and inspirational.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
This edition was adapted for young people and won the Alex Award and William E. Colby Award in 2001. James Bradley tells the story of the six men who raised the U.S. flag on Iwo Jima. This image is iconic in American History and raised the morale of US citizens in 1945. Bradley writes in a fluent narrative that allows readers to feel as if they are part of the story. The photographs and maps included help students understand the time period.
  PikeH | Jul 31, 2015 |
Gives you a inside view of the men that raised the flag on Iwo Jima and the Marines that fought there..
  MarcusG | Nov 7, 2012 |
The reading of Flags of Our Fathers was very timely. February 19th marked the anniversary of the famous flag raising on Iwo Jima, Japan. The first word that comes to mind when I think about Flags of our Fathers is respect. This was a book written with the utmost respect, not only for the author's own father, but for the other five men responsible for raising the flag on Japan's Iwo Jima. Everyone knows the photograph born of that historical event but not many can name the six men involved. In fact, even fewer would guess there were six men there. Unless you scrutinize the photograph, at first glance, there are only four. James Bradley, with the help of Ron Powers, brings to life all six men. He brings them out of historical obscurity and into present-day focus. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 2, 2012 |

James Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powers, Ronmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mothers should negotiate between nations.

The mothers of the fighting countries would agree:

Stop this killing now. Stop it now.

-Yoshikuni Taki
Dedicated to the Memory of

Belle Block, Kathryn Bradley, Irene Gagnon, Nancy Hayes, Goldie Price, Martha Strank, and all mothers who sent their boys to war.
In the spring of 1998, six boys called to me from half a century ago on a distant mountain and I went there.
2000 edition: Flags of our fathers / James Bradley with Ron Powers;
juvenile adaptation issued in 2001 as: Flags of Our Fathers; Heroes of Iwo Jima

This book was the basis of the movie 'Flags of Our Fathers.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553384155, Paperback)

The Battle of Iwo Jima, fought in the winter of 1945 on a rocky island south of Japan, brought a ferocious slice of hell to earth: in a month's time, more than 22,000 Japanese soldiers would die defending a patch of ground a third the size of Manhattan, while nearly 26,000 Americans fell taking it from them. The battle was a turning point in the war in the Pacific, and it produced one of World War II's enduring images: a photograph of six soldiers raising an American flag on the flank of Mount Suribachi, the island's commanding high point.

One of those young Americans was John Bradley, a Navy corpsman who a few days before had braved enemy mortar and machine-gun fire to administer first aid to a wounded Marine and then drag him to safety. For this act of heroism Bradley would receive the Navy Cross, an award second only to the Medal of Honor.

Bradley, who died in 1994, never mentioned his feat to his family. Only after his death did Bradley's son James begin to piece together the facts of his father's heroism, which was but one of countless acts of sacrifice made by the young men who fought at Iwo Jima. Flags of Our Fathers recounts the sometimes tragic life stories of the six men who raised the flag that February day--one an Arizona Indian who would die following an alcohol-soaked brawl, another a Kentucky hillbilly, still another a Pennsylvania steel-mill worker--and who became reluctant heroes in the bargain. A strongly felt and well-written entry in a spate of recent books on World War II, Flags gives a you-are-there depiction of that conflict's horrible arenas--and a moving homage to the men whom fate brought there. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

Chronicles one of the bloodiest battles of World War II, focusing on the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible