Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 12: Shattered Stones…

Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 12: Shattered Stones

by Kazuo Koike, Goseki Kojima (Illustrator)

Series: Lone Wolf and Cub (12)

202182,827 (4.49)4

As always with this series it's plus several million for the artwork, themes and atmosphere and minus several million for the ridiculous translation. It's ok if Dana Lewis wants the Samurai to use American slang but if he/she(?) could just pick a city and a time period - one minute there all 'dang tootin' and the next it's 'the boys gotta make money, see?' I didn't know whether to imagine Bogart or Green Acres.

The stars are for Koike and Kojima, I wish I could read Japanese because I'm sure these stories are transcendent in the original language, just as the artwork is here.

EDIT: Two notes. One I was glad to finally pick up this series again. Vol. 12 has been out of print for some time and even my local comic store was no help. Second, thinking about the translation issues again, the character of the older boy who uses Daigoro in the chapter 'A Promise of Potatoes' reads just like an evil version of Shaggy from Scooby Doo - read it in his voice, it's him! ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |

Kazuo Koikeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kojima, GosekiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, DanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A woman driven to insanity by the murder of her child, and the horribly burned husband seeking revenge; unseen samurai under the thumb of a power-hungry woman; a beggar ronin seeking the downfall of his greedily ambitious wife; a good-for-nothing beggar willing to use a child to make easy money; a lady magician threatened by swindling gangsters - all of these people have something in common - the need to regain their honor, and this quest almost always means death. Ogami Itto, a wandering ronin on a road to vengeance, has been paid to put these folks back on that path, at any cost. For this grim samurai and his infant son, there is nothing left in this world except honor, vengeance, death, and blood. Fortunately, there's plenty of each to go around ...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,803,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible