Crisis by Robin Cook

Crisis (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Robin Cook

Member:deblynn
Title:Crisis
Authors:Robin Cook
Info:Berkley (2007), Paperback, 580 pages

Crisis by Robin Cook (2006)

English (21)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (25)
Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery return in Crisis, whilst there had been some wavering level of quality from Robin Cook in the last few books (Chromosone 6 I'm looking at you) the good news is that Crisis is back on track.

Whilst less medical than some of the others in the series it nonetheless is a page turner with all the right ingredients: Dr Craig Bowman the rich doctor separated from his wife living with a young hussy, the rich patients, a sudden death, a sleazy lawyer pushing a malpractice lawsuit.

The story primarily revolves around said malpractice lawsuit and Jack's sister Alexis asks him to fly out from New York to Boston on the eve of his wedding to see if he can aid in saving her marriage, and husband.

Looking forward to reading the next installment. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Oct 3, 2013 |
After reading a few of Robin Cook's novels, I have come to the conclusion that he is not a very good writer. From a technical standpoint, his prose is very flawed. His dialogue is weak and doesn't resemble real conversations. In this novel, his characters are exceptionally weak and not remotely believable. Their actions don't match their motivations. The worst of the characters is Dr. Craig Bowman, who is sort of the main character in this novel. Not only is he inconsistent as a character, but he is also not at all likeable. None of the characters in this novel are likeable, even Dr. Jack Stapleton, who I think is supposed to be the most sympathetic of the characters.
The novel starts off with a patient of Bowman who dies of an apparent heart attack. Bowman is then sued by the patient's husband. Stapleton has had no contact with his sister, who is Bowman's wife, for over a decade, yet when she calls him to help out with the malpractice lawsuit against Bowman, he drops everything and goes to Boston to help even though he is getting married in less than a week. That is so preposterous and unbelievable, yet is very typical of all the characters' inconsistencies. Bowman, who had left his wife for another woman at the time of the patient's death, is now back with his wife. She is supporting him even though he dumped her and they don't seem to like each other at all.

The only redeemable aspect of this novel is that the storyline following the malpractice trial is fairly interesting and entertaining. On that basis, it was a readable novel, but it wasn't very good and got progressively worse as it went along.
Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Sep 15, 2013 |
Robin Cook's 2007 medical thriller with the short title "Crisis" has received a lot of negative criticism. The lack of character development is condemned, as is the unsatisfactory open ending. However, when the novel is read in view of all Cook's previous books it becomes clear that this is yet another of the fast-paced criminal who's-dunnits that have made him so famous, and this book is also certainly worth the read.

To start with the supposed lack of character development, it is indeed true that we do not get insight in the motivations of most of the characters. The only person we really see transforming is the doctor. We see him undergo a midlife crisis and suffer its consequences. At the start we see a brilliant dedicated doctor being brought down by the legal system, but slowly we begin to get a bit weary of him until finally we see him for the arrogant villain that he really is. That's quite a transformation!

The other characters do not show us that much of themselves, and that can be confusing to those who are newcomers to Robin Cook. However, the dedicated readers are already well acquainted with the agonists Jack and Laury. For them the suspense lies mostly in the question: will the two of them finally get married? The experienced readers do not need to know their motivations for their involvement in the story anymore.

The unsatisfactory open ending certainly is a valid point. Until the very last chapter the mystery just seems to continuously expand and the reader can get lost in it's many story-lines. However this can be said of most thrillers, since they ask for a lot of involvement of their readers. A good mystery does not just present a straightforward story but demand active reading whilst giving clues and surprising turns in the story. Actually, I find it quite an anticlimax when a story comes to a sudden halt when the author desperately ties all the knots and suddenly presents you with a clear cut solution. By not doing so Robin Cook keeps his readers involved till the very last page.

There is a chance that we might find out the solution in one of the next Montgomery novels, as Robin Cook has the habit to mention previous cases in his books. It will be interesting to see our favorite characters again, perhaps struggling in their new marriage and always getting caught up in weird cases. In the mean time "Crisis" was a joy to read. ( )
  Simone12 | Jul 21, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end, it was exciting and enjoyable to read. I really like Jack's character especially his sense of humor. ( )
  Ocsar | Jan 18, 2011 |
I don't read a Robin Cook novel for its literary craftsmanship. I do however expect a plotline that stands up to scrutiny, with cutting-edge science or even borderline science fiction.
Unfortunately, this book wants to be a character study. That makes it a thriller without thrills by an author whose characters are generally as overstated as his prose.
There are very few plot surprises, a lot of utterly irrelevant sitting in traffic jams around Boston, and clues that are so apparent to the experienced mystery reader that I wanted to shout, "You idiot," at Jack. "It's got to have something to do with the..."

Lots of loose ends were never tied up. What happened to the goon in the car crash? Who were the two masked men who tied up the children? Why did the plaintiff's lawyer have a henchman?

And I am getting really tired of Cook’s repeated bagging of the "evil" insurance companies.

Worse still, even though I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, I simply didn't understand the ending! I read it twice – loath to admit I’d put in all that effort and missed what was supposedly the whole point of the book. I even spent some time trying to find the pages that had to be missing. Or did Cook paste the ending from another story into this one? Nup. Just not getting it. ( )
  Jawin | Oct 9, 2010 |

Robin Cookprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The laws of conscience, which we say are born of nature, are born of custom. --Montaigne
This book is dedicated to the contemporary medical professionalism as promulgated by the Physician Charter, in hopes that it takes root and flourishes... Make way, Hippocrates!
Autumn is a glorious season, despite its frequent use as a metaphor for approaching death and dying.
Her main handicap from Craig's perspective was her Revere, Massachusetts, accent and syntax. Particularly grating was her tendency to pronounce every word ending in "er" as if it ended in a short but harsh "a."
Boston was not a city that was at all kind to a visiting driver. Nor were the Boston drivers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425216578, Mass Market Paperback)

When Dr. Craig Bowman is served with a summons for medical malpractice, he's shocked, enraged, and more than a little humiliated. A devoted physician who works continuously in the service of others, he endured grueling years of training and is now a partner in an exclusive concierge medical practice. No longer forced to see more and more patients while spending less and less time with each one just to keep his office door open, he now provides the kind of medical care he is trained to do, lavishing twenty-four-hour availability and personalized attention on his handpicked patients. And at last, he is earning a significant income, no longer burdened by falling reimbursements from insurance companies.But this idyllic practice comes to a grinding halt one sunny afternoon-and gets much, much worse.

Enter Dr. Jack Stapleton, a medical examiner in New York City and Bowman's brother-in-law: Jack's sister Alexis-now Craig's estranged wife-tearfully begs for his help as her husband's trial drags on. Jack agrees to travel to Boston to offer his forensic services and expert witness experience to Craig's beleaguered defense attorney. But when Jack's irreverent suggestion to exhume the corpse to disprove the alleged malpractice is taken seriously, he opens a Pandora's box of trouble. As Craig Bowman's life and career are put on the line, Jack is on the verge of making a most unwelcome discovery of tremendous legal and medical significance-and there are people who will do anything to keep him from learning the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:25 -0400)

Shocked and humiliated by a medical malpractice lawsuit, physician Craig Bowman receives help from his estranged brother-in-law, medical examiner Jack Stapleton, who discovers trouble after exhuming the body of Craig's alleged victim.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible