Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills by Charles…

Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills

by Charles Henderson

Have you ever heard of a marine sniper that was so accurate that he was able to kill his enemy sniper by hitting him directly in the eye through his own scope ? This book is a true story based on the life of marine sniper, Sergeant Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War. It gives great details about what it must have been like to do this job. Carlos Hathcock grew up in Mississippi and hunted to get food for his family. He always dreamed about being a marine. He joined the marines and was in the Vietnam war and became a really good sniper. During his time in the war he was sent on many challenging missions. One of the missions was him slowly sneaking into enemy lines and avoiding searches for any intruders trying to attack the Apaches. Another challenging mission was when he was trying to shoot a sniper and the sniper was trying to shoot him, and then they both were looking at each other through their scopes. Hathcock was the first one to shoot and killed the other sniper by shooting him through his scope. The North Vietnamese Army called him white feather because he always wore a feather on his helmet. Hathcock was so good that he had the highest bounty placed on his life by the enemy and killed all the snipers who tried to kill him. Hatchcock's career ended when the enemies attacked their tank and he saved several marines lives by pulling them out of the fire after an explosion. He was badly burned and ended up receiving the Purple Heart and Silver Star for his accomplishments. After retiring, he ran a sniper school.

My opinion on this book was that I think that it was a good book and that it had a lot of action, with descriptive details and showing imagery instead of just explaining what happens. I thought this because I was able to visualize a lot of things while I was reading this book. Also the book kept my interest during the book so I wanted to keep reading. One of my favorite parts was when an enemy sniper shot at his friend and Hathcock couldn't even see because the sun was shining like a mirror in his eyes. He took a chance and took one shot at the light. He killed the guy. His friend was amazed and he said, “One shot- one kill.” And there was a lot of that in this book. ( )
  br14daoc | Dec 13, 2013 |
My reaction to reading this book in 1994.

A fascinating (though a bit hagiographic in parts) biography of Carlos Hathcock, legendary sniper in the Vietnam War and possessor of the sniper kill record. Interesting stuff on the uses and techniques of sniper warfare. One of Hathcock’s exploits – shooting an enemy sniper through the dead man’s scope – made it into the most seemingly unbelievable part of the movie Sniper. ( )
  RandyStafford | Apr 8, 2013 |
Biography of an unassuming US Marine committed to becoming the most proficient marksman possible. This book is an overview of his career achievements highlighting those aspects that have become Marine sniper lore. This book reads like military fiction. This book emphasizes his discipline and practice along with his extensive training which allowed him to be successful in several near impossible situations. This book is followed by a sequel by the same author. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Jul 24, 2011 |
Carlos Hathcock is recognized as one of the all time greatest snipers and is a world-class shooter. Very easy read which highlights his career and time in Vietnam. Pleasure to learn about his service to his country at a time when service was not popular. ( )
1 vote Taurus454 | Feb 3, 2011 |
This is the story of Carlos Hathcock. He is a legend in the world of sniping. There is far more to his story than this book mentions. It's a short read, but good enough to highlight the key engagements he had in Vietnam. The story of him being sent to kill the NVA general was my absolute favorite. I cannot even imagine the discipline it takes to do something like that. I have read other sniper books, but the story of Carlos Hathcock is still my favorite. ( )
2 vote MatthewN | Jun 16, 2008 |
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and
those who have hunted armed men long enought and
liked it
, never care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway
For all the snuffies of the Corps, and to the memory of my brother Marines, Tony, Sammy, and Iron Mike
A gentle breeze rustled the white feather in the marine sniper's floppy hat as he watched the land below through the telescopic gun sight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425103552, Mass Market Paperback)

Tells the exciting true story of Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, a legendary Marine sniper in the Vietnam War.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:14 -0400)

There have been many Marines. There have been many marksmen. But there has been only one Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. A legend of Marine lore. He stalked the Viet Cong behind enemy lines. His record has never been matched: 93 confirmed kills. This is his story. Powerful, chilling and all true.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible