Cyrano De Bergerac: Comedie Heroique in Cinq…

Cyrano De Bergerac: Comedie Heroique in Cinq Actes (original 1897; edition 1898)

by Edmond. Rostand, halftone b/w frontispiece (Illustrator)

Member:amyandroland
Title:Cyrano De Bergerac: Comedie Heroique in Cinq Actes
Authors:Edmond. Rostand
Other authors:halftone b/w frontispiece (Illustrator)
Info:William R. Jenkins (1898), Edition: 1st american, Hardcover

Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (Author) (1897)

English (42)  French (10)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)

This play has an electrifying final act that brings the play to a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
Rostand, Edmond (1897). Cyrano de Bergerac (trad. Cinzia Bigliosi Franck). Milano: Feltrinelli. 2009. ISBN: 9788807822117. Pagine 285. 0,99 €

Un’altra offerta-lampo di Amazon, tre classici a 99 centesimi l’uno.

Comprato perché Morgaine, che l’aveva letto nell’originale francese, mi aveva detto che era bellissimo, che lo aveva divorato in un baleno e aveva passato il tempo a piangere.

Devo avere il cuore di pietra, perché non mi è piaciuto per niente, ho trovato la storia scontata (con lo meno spessore drammaturgico del Rigoletto, anche se sotto il profilo narratologico la storia è la stessa: uno scambio di persona andato a finire male), il modo di raccontarla stucchevole (confesso di capire poco la scrittura teatrale, con tutti quegli a capo), il brio più da Ferrarelle che da champagne…

Per di più, il bacio non è per nulla «un apostrofo rosa tra le parole t’amo», come sui cartigli dei baci Perugina, ma «un punto rosa sulla i di amor mio» (pos. Kindle 3223): certo più vicino all’originale francese («Un point rose qu’on met sur l’i du verbe aimer», pos. 5357), ma insomma, un altro anticlimax. ( )
  Boris.Limpopo | Apr 29, 2019 |
SUMMARY:
Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics: New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars Biographies of the authors Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events Footnotes and endnotes Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work Comments by other famous authors Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations Bibliographies for further reading Indices & Glossaries, when appropriateAll editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics pulls together a constellation of influences—biographical, historical, and literary—to enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works. One of the most beloved heroes of the stage, Cyrano de Bergerac is a magnificent wit who, despite his many gifts, feels that no woman can ever love him because of his enormous nose. He adores the beautiful Roxanne but, lacking courage, decides instead to help the tongue-tied but winsome Christian woo the fair lady by providing him with flowery sentiments and soulful poetry. Roxanne is smitten—but is it Christian she loves or Cyrano? A triumph from the moment of its 1897 premiere, Cyrano de Bergerac has become one of the most frequently produced plays in the world. Its perennial popularity is a tribute to the universal appeal of its themes and characters.Peter Connor is Associate Professor of French and comparative literature at Barnard College, Columbia University. He is the author of Georges Bataille and the Mysticism of Sin (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000).
  buffygurl | Mar 8, 2019 |
The classic play that follows the adventures of the titular credit as he fights to defend his strong sense of honour, succumbs to love, and takes on anyone who makes even the slightest disparaging comment about his large nose.

I think my first exposure to this play was probably in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and while I've always known the outline of the plot, I had never read it. I've now fixed that and while the play was enjoyable, I don't think it's one I'll revisit. That said, the complex stage descriptions leave me in awe of how it would have been staged in the 19th century. ( )
  MickyFine | Aug 7, 2018 |
Brilliant. Well crafted, intelligent, and romantic. Rostand’s stage instructions, larger than life characters, and tale of panache and heartbreak must have made for an incredible theater experience when it premiered in 1897, and perhaps it still does today. The main story that most are probably aware of has memorable scenes – Cyrano in the bushes feeding lines to Christian as he stands below Roxane’s balcony of course, and also Cyrano pointing out just how banal someone’s attempts at humor are, by rattling off a long string of clever jokes about a big nose. “How darling of you to have built a little perch for little birds to rest their tiny claws,” he says, among many others. However, there is so much more to this play than that: the universality of insecurity, the depth and sacrifice of true love, the transience of life, and having a certain brio while alive. I was surprised by how many of the characters and their actions were historically accurate, outside the love story anyway, including Cyrano himself talking about creative ways of getting to the moon in a wonderful passage that reflects the real de Bergerac’s writing in 1657. Definitely recommended.

Quotes:
On death, perhaps a fantastic epitaph:
Excuse me, friends, I mustn’t keep her waiting:
The moon has come to fetch me.

On a kiss:
Cyrano: A kiss! What is a kiss? A confession
Made from a little closer at hand, a promise
Delivered as soon as it’s made,
A secret whispered close, with a mouth to hear it:
Eternity held in a moment that stings like a bee.
Passed like communion, a host with the scent of flowers,
A way to breathe the breath of the heart of another
And with one’s lips to sip the beloved one’s soul.

On love:
Roxane: What words will you use to tell it?
Cyrano: All of them.
Each word that comes to me. I’ll throw them all
In sheaves at your feet, no time to make a bouquet:
I love you, I’m stifling, I love you, I’m crazy, it’s more
Than I can bear. Your name’s like a bell in my heart,
Dearest, a little bell, and as I keep trembling,
The bell keeps ringing and ringing and saying your name.
The tiniest things about you live in my memory.
I’ve loved them all, always. Last year, I remember,
On the twelfth of May, you changed the style of your hair!
You know what you look too long at the sun, the disc
Of fire that floats on everything afterwards? Well,
Your hair was my sunlight, and after I looked away
There were patches of blonde light all over the world.

On success in life:
De Guiche: There’s such a thing as too complete success,
And even when one has done nothing wrong –
Not really wrong – a certain slight unease
That isn’t quite remorse will come to haunt one
When rising to great office. As one climbs,
The ducal ermine trails along a wake
Of rustling dead illusions and regrets,
Just as these autumn leaves catch in your train. ( )
2 vote gbill | Jun 11, 2018 |

Hall, GertrudeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hooker, BrianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pavis, PatriceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Untermeyer, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was to the soul of CYRANO that I intended to dedicate this poem.
But since that soul has been reborn in you, COQUELIN, it is to you that I dedicate it.
- E. R.
The hall of the Hotel de Bourgogne in 1640.
This is the play by Edmond Rostand. It should not be combined with any adaptation (e.g., do not combine it with any film adaptation).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528921, Mass Market Paperback)

Rostand's masterpiece-and the ultimate triumph of the great French romantic tradition-is the magnificent hero-for-all-seasons, Cyrano de Bergerac.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:41 -0400)

A translation of the French drama set in seventeenth-century France telling of Cyrano de Bergerac's secret love for Roxane.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528921, 014044968X

Talonbooks

An edition of this book was published by Talonbooks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,912,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible