Death: The Time of Your Life by Neil Gaiman

Death: The Time of Your Life

by Neil Gaiman, Chris Bachalo (Illustrator), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)

Death: The Time of Your Life is another story which includes Hazel and Foxglove, their son, and Death. You need to have read Death: The High Cost of Living and the volume of the main series which involves them, or you won't really get what the big deal is. It's quite a strange story, in which Hazel actually makes a deal with Death -- something apparently unheard of, and which certainly doesn't seem to fit into The Sandman canon. It basically has a message about/from Death: that she and her job, in a sense, remind us to live. Still, it's not really a story about Death, despite the title, it's a follow up on Foxglove.

It's an interesting little story, the art is good, and it's good to see some old characters again. Again, like many of the spinoffs, not wonderfully special. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Well drawn, a little story of death ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
I do enjoy his portrayal of death. Endlessly (heh) fascinating. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Death is a hugely likeable character, more so than Dream who on occasion doth get on my tittenz, and I like that Gaiman writes the kind of characters who might be considered not mainstream enough for the traditional comic (or maybe he just has a thing about lesbians). So, it's a little sad that despite the things I really like in this particular story, it left me a little bored and detached. The ruminations about life, death and meaning were there, but felt inaccessible. I could sympathise with the characters, but they and the story were easily forgettable.

Not one of my favourites. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
Death: The Time of Your Life features the return of Foxglove and Hazel, from Sandman: A Game of You (they also had a brief appearance in Death: The High Cost of Living, and I like that the two Death volumes are joined that way). It's really nice to see how the characters have grown, matured and evolved from where they were in A Game of You.

Foxglove has gone from writing her weird short stories, to being a successful singer/songwriter. She has a couple of albums out, though she hasn't committed to a band, and she's busy flying around the world, going on tours, appearing on talk shows and going to movie premieres. She also can't tell anyone about Hazel, since her manager has advised her that coming out as a lesbian would be bad for her career. Meanwhile, Hazel is at home, raising their son, Alvie, and missing Foxglove.

When their little boy dies, Hazel makes a deal with Death that drags Foxglove, her bodyguard, and an underwear model acting as her escort, to the edges of the Sunless Lands after them.

Gaiman's personification of Death - as a cheery, loving and quirky goth-girl has got to be my favourite representation of the "Grim Reaper" ever - she's not grim at all! - I think we could all be a little less afraid of the end if we believed she would be our guide.

Death: People don't bore me. I like people.

Hazel: Really? All of them?

Death: All of them.

Hazel: Even the creepy ones?

Death: Nobody's creepy from the inside, Hazel. Some of them are sad, and some of them hurt, and some of them think they're the only real thing in the whole world. But they're not creepy.
(p. 42) ( )
  catfantastic | May 28, 2012 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bachalo, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Buckingham, MarkIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
for ellen and delia, with love.
February.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Collects "The Time of Your Life" parts 1-3, originally published in Death: The Time of Your Life #1-3.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible