Don Quixote [Part 1 of 2] by Miguel de…

Don Quixote [Part 1 of 2] (1605)

by Miguel de Cervantes (Author)

Series: Don Quixote (1/2)

English (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
4.34
  mcnabbp | Mar 10, 2013 |
Harold Bloom says that Don Quixote is the greatest novel ever written. He also recommends the Putnam translation, which this is not. Charles W. Eliot, LL.D., the editor of the Harvard Classics, claims that this 1611 Thomas Shelton translation is "in style and vitality, if not in accuracy, acknowledged the most fortunate of English renderings." I'm not sure what that means, but launching into over 500 pages without at least some assurance that you're reading an accurate translation is a bit disconcerting. In all fairness to Thomas Shelton, however, I actually got accustomed to the Elizabethan syntax and vocabulary after a couple hundred pages. When my family occasionally heard me laughing out loud at one of the predicaments of the good Don or Sancho, I had to paraphrase Shelton's verbiage to make them understand why I thought certain passages were so funny.

Dr. Eliot's decision to present only half of Don Quixote also irked me. As he put it, "[t]he second part, issued in 1615, the year before [Cervante's] death, is of the nature of a sequel, and is generally regarded as inferior." Some, such as Professor Bloom, seem to disagree that the second part of Don Quixote is inferior to the first. I guess I'll get a chance to read the Putnam translation after all. ( )
  ninefivepeak | Jan 27, 2010 |
For me, it was not so much the famous story line, rather the tangents that the book runs off to in the latter half of the book that makes it a wonderful book. The story is good, but the little short stories that appear with regularity make it a beautiful book.

It took me a bit to accomodate to the written language, it was a bit heavy and lengthy for my taste. Once I did, I loved the book. Mayhaps you will like it too! ( )
  Cygnus555 | Jun 7, 2008 |
Took college course that was 100% devoted to this book--which is understandable since it's not only one of the best books ever written, it's also incredibly long! Kept all notes and handouts from this class (because I'm a nerd like that!)...can't understand why it's not mandatory reading in schools! Love, love , love it! ( )
1 vote | virginia414 | Jan 11, 2007 |

Cervantes, Miguel deAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doré, GustaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eliot, Charles WilliamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, JacquesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pol, Barber van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riquer, Martín deEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Don Quixote was originally published in two parts. This is the first part only.

'He set spurs to his steed Rocinante, not paying any attention to his squire Sancho Panza, who was shouting that what he was charging were definitely windmills not giants.' The amusing satirical romance of an eccentric knight-errant in La Mancha, central Spain. DON QUIXOTE follows the adventures of Don Quixote and his rustic companion, Sancho Panza.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:41 -0400)

The adventures of an idealistic country gentleman and his shrewd Squire who set out, like knights of old, to search for adventure and to right wrongs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,095,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible