The Art of War

by Sun Tzu

17,501192190 (3.84)207
A manual on the rational planning and conduct of military operations written over two millennia ago in China.
    A Book of Five Rings (Gorin No Sho): A Practical Guide to Strategy by Musashi Miyamoto (sbuehrle)
    On the Nature of War by Carl von Clausewitz (sirparsifal)
    The I Ching or Book of Changes by Richard Wilhelm (caju)
    Not Safe for Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (165)  Spanish (13)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (191)
Contents
11. The Nine Situations
12. The Attack by Fire
13. The Use of Spies ( )
  knoba | Oct 12, 2020 |
Really intresting. The qusetion is, can I appely this to everyday life?
Possabiltity if you can see everything in this book as learning stategy. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Really intresting. The qusetion is, can I appely this to everyday life?
Possabiltity if you can see everything in this book as learning stategy. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
A wise warrior avoids the battle or something along these lines. The book is no literary wonder written simply as a series of bullet points. What makes it amazing is the fact that it was written before 2500 years & it is still relevant to our modern day. The set of rules outlined can be applied by any leader in any field.
PS: of course the financial details associated with the armies can be safely discarded. ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |
I have no idea how to rate this.

Do I rate The Art of War based on how useful its advice has been in my daily life? In his (rather dated) introduction, angry-Americophile James Clavell suggests that everyone who works with the military, government, or in the civil service should commit the book to memory. I work for a University. As Ian Malcolm put it in [b:Jurassic Park|12596223|Jurassic Park|Michael Crichton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1315827012s/12596223.jpg|3376836]: I do maths. And so knowing where to position my army, who to promote to General, and how to win over the hearts of my defeated enemy is not really that useful. Of course, with a bit of imagination you can apply Sun Tzu's tips to everyday life. Sun Tzu says: “If you're outnumbered five-to-one then tuck that tail 'twixt your legs and run like your life depends on it. Because your life depends on it.” And isn't that just like when you're in a board meeting and Steve from accounting has started agreeing with the boss that Dave from HR's new plan is not feasible, and Linda from Finance is nodding too, and you said to Dave beforehand that you'd back him, but I mean come on, really? you're outnumbered here, so maybe it's time to suck it up, agree with the boss, and you can buy Dave a pint later to apologise.

Do I rate The Art of War based on its writing? I don't think I should. Maybe Sun Tzu was a master orator, and maybe old Chinese editions were written in such beautiful poetry that the reader would be reduced to tears before he reduced his enemies to tatters. But my edition uses Lionel Giles' 1910 translation. I'm sure it's perfectly accurate, but the slightly stuffy Edwardian comportment of the text is functional rather than moving.

Do I rate The Art of War based on its cultural and historical importance? As a rule I try to avoid this. I've only read a handful of books from before the clocks changed from BC to AD, and all of them have been good books above and beyond their respective importance to history.

Sun Tzu says: when in doubt, remember what the different ratings stand for. Three stars means “I liked it.” I liked The Art of War. So it's getting three stars. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
Sun Tzuova knjiga Umeće ratovanja, je jedno od najznačajnijih klasičnih kineskih dela.

Ova knjiga ne sadrži ni jednu zastarelu maksimu ili nejasno uputstvo. Najbolje je pobediti bez borbe, rekao je Sun Tzu. Za njega je rat bio sastavni deo života.

Pažljivo pročitajte ovu knjigu, i sve savremene knjige koje govore o upravljanju državom više vam se neće činiti dostojne pažnje.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Ralph Sawyer has produced a lively translation, with a historical essay and explanatory notes, of Sun-tzu’s classic work.
[...]
Sun-tzu has nothing to teach us about the technological aspects of war or the logistics required to feed a modern army, and his work obviously cannot speak to certain complex political relations between modern nations. But Sun-tzu’s book has much value, for it says a lot about how a commander should approach his enemy, how he should decide to attack or to retreat, how to outsmart an enemy, and what it takes to be victorious. He presents his ideas in a logical, principled way that is consistent with his deeper philosophy of nature.

Tzu, Sunprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smit, KeesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, KidderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warrilow, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction:
War is a howling, baying jackal.
Sun Tzu said:
The art of war is of vital importance to the State.
Translator's Introduction: According to an old story, a lord of ancient China once asked his physician, a member of a family of healers, which of them was the most skilled in the art.
[Thomas Cleary]
Sun Tzu believed that even before considering a confrontation—for whatever purpose—it is essential to Calculate a complete analysis of the situation.
[R.L. Wing, Intro to Chapter 1]
Introduction:  It is an unusual book that was written 2500 years ago in an impenetrable classical language and yet figures on the recommended reading list of the United States Marine Corps.
[Version translated by James Trapp]
A battle that cannot be won is not worth fighting.
All warfare is based on deception.

The original and bestselling leadership book! Sun Tzu's ideas on survival and success have been read across the world for centuries. Today they can still be applied to business, politics and life. The Art of War demonstrates how to win without conflict. It shows that with enough intelligence and planning, it is possible to conquer with a minimum of force and little destruction. This luxury hardback edition includes an introduction by Tom Butler-Bowdon that draws out lessons for managers and business leaders, and highlights the power of Sun Tzu's thinking in everyday life.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140455523, 0143105752, 0141045272

Amber Books Ltd

An edition of this book was published by Amber Books Ltd.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100674, 1400108411

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,761,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible