Lady Susan (Hesperus Classics) by Jane…

Lady Susan (Hesperus Classics) (edition 2006)

by Jane Austen

Member:holmes111
Title:Lady Susan (Hesperus Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Hesperus Press (2006), Paperback, 95 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, English

Lady Susan by Jane Austen

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Also an epistolary novel, written by a woman said to be an influence on Austen's own writing. If I recall correctly, also has an older scheming woman involved in the plot.
    Lady Vernon and Her Daughter: A Novel of Jane Austen's Lady Susan by Jane Rubino (sweetiegherkin)
    Lady Susan by Phyllis Ann Karr (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Retells the story without the letters, filling in Austen's gaps.

English (48)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (52)
Lady Susan by Jane Austen is an epistolary novella about an eighteenth century cougar, Lady Susan Vernon. While she is trying to marry her daughter off to the first man who will taker her, she is also looking for a second marriage for herself — to a man of means.

Lady Susan as a character reminds me most of Marcel Proust's Odette before she is wed to Charles Swann. Although Austen's book is significantly shorter than Proust's multivolume roman a clef, I found it a less compelling read.

As other reviewers have noted, Lady Susan is social commentary without the humor or romance of her later books. That's part of the problem with the book. Reading it as a series of letters, a la Pierre Choderlos de Laclos's Les Liaisons Dangereuses, leaves little chance to see the characters interact. It is through putting dissimilar characters together that Austen creates her most memorable scenes. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 7, 2015 |
This story was written as letters between various characters. Lady Susan is a widow and is trying to match her daughter, Frederica, up with one man, but Frederica is in love with another.

I think I made an error in judgement in choosing the audio, as classics are already “iffy” for me (though I generally like Jane Austen) and audios are already harder to hold my attention, so I think it was a bad combination, as this one definitely didn't keep my attention. I had trouble through most of it figuring out who was related to whom and how (it was only close to the end that I figured most of that out). There was an introduction that said that it was unfinished, but there was a conclusion, so I'm not too sure what that's about. (Also, wikipedia says it was an “early complete work”.) Because I lost interest so much, at least the introduction told me the plot (although, again, near the end, I was “getting” some of it), but I think I missed what actually happened the end (based on what wikipedia tells me, anyway!).

Oh, the audio... I liked how the audio was done, initially. There are different people voicing different letters, depending who wrote them. I did (originally) like Catherine's narrator, particularly, but she got kind of whiny for me later on (though that, I believe, was when Catherine was “imitating” Lady Susan... but it went on and on!!). It also would have been nice to have narrators with English accents. Only the man who read the intro, conclusion and title for each letter had an English accent. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 3, 2015 |
Lady Susan is not your typical Jane Austen’s character, she is actually quite despicable, an anti-heroine, who lies and schemes.
I didn’t expect this, as usually Jane Austen’s protagonists are good and honest, but I have to say it made this short story interesting.
However the book has its happy ending… at least for some of the characters. ( )
  SaraRomanceLove | May 8, 2015 |
Had not read this short, epistolary novella before. Every sentence was thoroughly enjoyable Jane Austen. But it doesn't compare to any of her best novels or even to any of her worst novels. Only one character is particularly interesting, the title character of Lady Susan, who is heartless and selfish in an eerily modern manner (complete with affairs with married men and flirtations with younger men). I could imagine her daughter being interesting, but we only glimpse her indirectly and from a distance. And everyone else feels mostly like a stock Regency character. ( )
1 vote nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
This was recommended to me as an easy entree into the work of Jane Austen; it was written when she was only 19, I gather. I found that hard to credit as I read it; an epistolary novel, the characters gradually emerge from their correspondence, and much of the sly humour springs from the difference in how the various characters interpret things, and their true opinions as opposed to the ones they give out, and how Lady Susan believes she is, and how others see her. It is catty, worldly, and rollicking good fun ... and then all of a sudden it ends, with an authorial Conclusion, as if the young Jane had got fed up of it, and finished it off in a hurry, and you realise that yes, she was only 19 after all.

It did its job, though: I am now much tempted to investigate her mature work, which I never was before. I should have given it four stars, but for the hasty wrap-up (I wanted to see something of Frederica's true character). ( )
1 vote sloopjonb | May 24, 2014 |
My Dear Brother,- I can no longer refuse myself the pleasure of profiting by your kind invitation when we last parted of spending some weeks with you at Churchill, and, therefore, if quite convenient to you and Mrs. Vernon to receive me at present, I shall hope to within a few days to be introduced to a sister whom I have so long desired to be acquainted with.

Beautiful, flirtatious, and recently widowed, Lady Susan Vernon seeks an advantageous second marriage for herself, while attempting to push her daughter into a dismal match. A magnificently crafted novel of Regency manners and mores that will delight Austen enthusiasts with its wit and elegant expression.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

Flirtatious and recently widowed, Lady Susan Vernon seeks a new and advantageous marriage for herself and at the same time attempts to push her daughter into marriage with a man she detests. The plot unfolds through letters exchanged among Lady Susan, her family, friends and enemies.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,421,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible