Lady Susan (Hesperus Classics) by Jane…

Lady Susan (Hesperus Classics) (edition 2006)

by Jane Austen

Member:holmes111
Title:Lady Susan (Hesperus Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Hesperus Press (2006), Paperback, 95 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, English

Lady Susan by Jane Austen

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Also an epistolary novel, written by a woman said to be an influence on Austen's own writing. If I recall correctly, also has an older scheming woman involved in the plot.
    Lady Vernon and Her Daughter: A Novel of Jane Austen's Lady Susan by Jane Rubino (sweetiegherkin)
    Lady Susan by Phyllis Ann Karr (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Retells the story without the letters, filling in Austen's gaps.

English (52)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
The tale of a manipulative, charmingly evil woman told through letters. Reading the varying accounts of her dealings is great fun.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book is what you call an epistolary novel. This was in itself something new for me and made me often wonder how would such a book be written in usual romance prose. It sounds quite interesting and realistic the way how it's written though. In this book you'll have a previous glimpse of Austen's brilliance on her way to write her well known later masterpiece, so I recommend this book to other Austen's fans. ( )
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |
This short novella is told almost entirely through letters. Lady Susan Vernon, who has recently been widowed, is much too much of a coquette for polite English society. She leads on several different men, and is determined to force her daughter into an unhappy marriage. Her brother-in-law and his family try to keep her from doing too much damage, but once Lady Susan gets an idea in her head, she will stop at nothing to achieve it.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved to hate Lady Susan. Since the whole plot was told through letters, we only got little bits of it at a time and I enjoyed piecing together different characters’ viewpoints. I think this would be a perfect place to start for people who haven’t read Austen before or who have difficulty with her.
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
This was a nice quick read. Written as a series of letters between Lady Susan, a recently widowed femme fatale, and her friend who shares her manipulative ways, and various in laws worried about the recently widowed woman's influence on her sister in law's brother. A nicely done portrait of a despicable woman. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
An amusing short work composed of letters written by family members and friends, illuminating the machinations of determined gentry of Austen's era. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 13, 2015 |
My Dear Brother,- I can no longer refuse myself the pleasure of profiting by your kind invitation when we last parted of spending some weeks with you at Churchill, and, therefore, if quite convenient to you and Mrs. Vernon to receive me at present, I shall hope to within a few days to be introduced to a sister whom I have so long desired to be acquainted with.

Beautiful, flirtatious, and recently widowed, Lady Susan Vernon seeks an advantageous second marriage for herself, while attempting to push her daughter into a dismal match. A magnificently crafted novel of Regency manners and mores that will delight Austen enthusiasts with its wit and elegant expression.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

Flirtatious and recently widowed, Lady Susan Vernon seeks a new and advantageous marriage for herself and at the same time attempts to push her daughter into marriage with a man she detests. The plot unfolds through letters exchanged among Lady Susan, her family, friends and enemies.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible