Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer by Jeff Smith

Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Jeff Smith

Member:FINNIAN11
Title:Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer
Authors:Jeff Smith
Info:Graphix (2006), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Awesome

Bone Volume 4: The Dragonslayer by Jeff Smith (2006)

This is getting near the point of the series that would be considered the "MIDDLE", which in some series we know is when the story detours or the writer has to try to draw out story because they do not want to reveal everything yet. In some realms you can tell that this is a volume full of that "trying to draw it out", but it never takes away from the overall feel of the franchise. There are moments that are funny, sweet, and some that are even terrifying. Yes I said terrifying. This is one of the first graphic novels where there were moments I felt fear because I found myself caring about the characters and honestly feeling that they may be in harms way. It is rare for me to be drawn into a series this much, so I know that Jeff Smith has continued to do something right with this series. It makes a lot of sense why this is a beloved comic book series for many people. This particular volume really plays up the personalities of specific characters in a comedic tone. It also creates tension as the plot moves forward in directions that we may not have seen. Overall if you have read the other books in the series you will not be disappointed by this one because it keeps the momentum going. This book also reveals enough of the overall plot to be fine for a first time Bone reader, though I would still recommend reading from the first volume. I am definitely pleased that I have started reading this series and I am well into the next volume, so shortly I will be reviewing that as well. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 2, 2015 |
I've seen better then this i've read the other books they were a bit better then this one. ( )
  Shawty1337 | Nov 13, 2013 |
Phoney Bone continues to make poor choices and to lead the townspeople in dangerous directions all in the name of leaving for Boneville with all the valuables from the town. Unfortunately (Fortunately?) a few things get in Phoney's way including the adorable baby rat creature that Fone and Smiley find and decide needs to be returned to its people. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is devious. ( )
  FINNIAN11 | Nov 6, 2012 |
Este libro es para Irene Kilty,
por estimular la imaginación de su nieto
¡Bién, amigo! Aquí tiene su sopa y su cerveza. ¡Es un huevo!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439706378, Paperback)

When Bone first came on the scene, critics raved about it, often mentioning it as being "fun for the whole family." Jeff Smith has always been wary about others labeling his work "for children," partly because he knew that "no topic of human experience--from the introspection of Peanuts or the politics of Doonesbury to the lyricism of Pogo--was beyond the wonderful world of comics." He was also cautious because he knew that the story he was telling was going to deal with issues and themes graver than Saturday morning's cotton-candy cartoons. In Bone: The Dragonslayer, the first volume of the second Bone trilogy, there is conflict, sometimes involving violence. There are forces of evil. There is war. But Bone is neither pap nor pabulum; it is challenging without being obtuse, and yes, even within its fantasy setting, Bone is real. This distinct combination makes it the best kind of children's book. Parents, read this book with your children. You'll find it may turn out to be your favorite book, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

The adventure starts when cousins Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are run out of Boneville and later get separated and lost in the wilderness, meeting monsters and making friends as they attempt to return home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,931,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible