Flight, Volume One by Kazu Kibuishi

Flight, Volume One (2004)

by Kazu Kibuishi (Editor)

Other authors: Chris Appelhans (Contributor), Neil Babra (Contributor), Bengal (Contributor), Vera Brosgol (Contributor), Joel Carroll (Contributor)18 more, Enrico Casarosa (Contributor), Clio Chiang (Contributor), Catia Chien (Contributor), Phil Craven (Contributor), Kazu Kibuishi (Cover artist), Kazu Kibuishi (Contributor), Derek Kirk Kim (Contributor), Hope Larson (Contributor), Khang Le (Contributor), Jacob Magraw-Mickelson (Contributor), Scott McCloud (Contributor), Dylan Meconis (Contributor), Erika Moen (Contributor), Bill Mudron (Contributor), Jake Parker (Contributor), Rad Sechrist (Contributor), Kean Soo (Contributor), Jen Wang (Contributor)

Series: Flight (Volume 1)

7192013,085 (3.91)7

A fun compilation of a variety of stories and artistic styles taking on the theme of flight. As with many anthologies, there were some stories that I really enjoyed, some artistic styles that I wanted to have more of, and other stories that just didn't work for me. Some stories were imaginative in their use of the theme where others I was confused how the theme fit at all. Reading through this volume gave me a nice reprieve from longer graphic novels and books that I was reading so for that I really enjoyed it and would recommend it for that reason as well. ( )
  TrekkieChickReads | Feb 9, 2016 |
  TrekkieChick29 | Oct 27, 2015 |
  TrekkieChick29 | Oct 27, 2015 |
This was a well done anthology of graphic novel short stories all somehow involving flight. The stories involve a wide variety of styles and themes. Some of them I loved and some were just okay. Some were really well done stories and some were very abstract.

I really loved the two Copper stories by Kibuishi. I also really enjoyed the following: Hugo Earheart by Jake Parker, Outside my Window by Khang Lee, and The Bowl by Clio Chiang.

There really is an incredibly wide array of styles and themes. There are fantasy stories, ones about friendship, and ones that are completely abstract. The illustration styles are just as varied, from classic cartoon style to very artistic soft styles to very abstract images.

I loved the variety and the surprise of not knowing what type of story I would be reading next.

Overall I enjoyed it and plan on checking out more volumes in Kibuishi's Flight series. This volume spanned an incredibly variety of styles and themes and was very eclectic. I would recommend to those who enjoy graphic novel short stories and don’t mind being surprised by some different varieties of stories. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 24, 2015 |
Not my favorite of the series. A lot of the stories seemed a little cut off at the end, but then again the entire volume is much shorter then later issues and it was their very first collection. I still managed to enjoy it though and am still really not sure what possessed me to pass over these amazing stories for so long! ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
A flip through the book reveals a wide variety of approaches, topics, and styles. Especially notable is the use of color, with subtle effects and impressive skill on display.

Kibuishi, KazuEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JakeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sechrist, RadContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soo, KeanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345496361, Comic)

Originally published by Image Comics in 2004, Flight, Volume One launched this graphic novel series with a resounding bang. Since then the Flight series has steadily increased in popularity–and now all of the Flight backlist will be coming to Villard!

Flight, Volume One received a great boost when graphic novel hero Scott McCloud praised the quality and artistry of the book in an afterward entitled THE YEAR COMICS TOOK FLIGHT. Little could readers know at the time how prophetic McCloud’s words would prove to be.

“Regardless of where it’s shelved, this book belongs in every library.” — Library Journal on Flight, Volume One

Authors included in Flight, Volume One are: Bengal, Bill Mudron, Catia Chien, Chris Appelhans, Clio Chiang, Derek Kirk Kim, Dylan Meconis, Enrico Casarosa, Erika Moen, Hope Larson, Jacob Magraw-Mickelson, Jake Parker, Jen Wang, Joel Carroll, Kazu Kibuishi, Khang Le, Neil Babra, Philip Craven, Rad Sechrist, and Vera Brosgol.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:19 -0400)

An anthology of graphic shorts by a variety of international artists.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,870,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible