Flight, Volume One by Kazu Kibuishi

Flight, Volume One (2004)

by Kazu Kibuishi (Editor)

Other authors: Chris Appelhans (Contributor), Neil Babra (Contributor), Bengal (Contributor), Vera Brosgol (Contributor), Joel Carroll (Contributor)18 more, Enrico Casarosa (Contributor), Clio Chiang (Contributor), Catia Chien (Contributor), Phil Craven (Contributor), Kazu Kibuishi (Cover artist), Kazu Kibuishi (Contributor), Derek Kirk Kim (Contributor), Hope Larson (Contributor), Khang Le (Contributor), Jacob Magraw-Mickelson (Contributor), Scott McCloud (Contributor), Dylan Meconis (Contributor), Erika Moen (Contributor), Bill Mudron (Contributor), Jake Parker (Contributor), Rad Sechrist (Contributor), Kean Soo (Contributor), Jen Wang (Contributor)

Series: Flight (Volume 1)

Not my favorite of the series. A lot of the stories seemed a little cut off at the end, but then again the entire volume is much shorter then later issues and it was their very first collection. I still managed to enjoy it though and am still really not sure what possessed me to pass over these amazing stories for so long! ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
The art in this book was fantastic. It's an anthology of vignettes that relate in some way to flight, either directly or indirectly. The best ones in the book are the ones that play with the format, like having no text at all and just telling the story through art panels or playing with the way the panels are set up, or even making the panels and text look like part of a yearbook. It kind of feels like an experimentation books that just happens to feature a lot of different artists. It'll be interesting to see how later volumes mix it up. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Found out about this collection because a number of my favorite webcomic artists have participated. Really looking forward to reading more of the series. ( )
  jdanforth | Jul 10, 2013 |
Summary and Review: The Flight anthologies are collections of short comics by young artists, most about 10-20 pages long, and each telling a brief snippet of story (mostly fantasy, but with a wide variety of themes and tones.) Because I've been reading the Flight anthologies out of order - not that there really is an order; only one of the stories is even sort of serialized, but in any case, I read 4, then 3, then 1, then 2 - I was sort of surprised by the earlier volumes.

In the later volumes, the stories are mostly wordless, relying entirely on the visuals to tell the story, but in the early volumes there are words all over the place. I found this kind of disappointing; it took some getting used to, but the wordless stories really show off the artists' skill at conveying story and character and emotion and movement through pictures. With the addition of the words, the stories felt somehow more... regular. Not bad, but not so unique, and the early volumes as a whole didn't have quite the same impact for me. The later volumes really made me sit up and take notice and say to myself, "Wow, that's something incredibly creative that not every writer - or even every comics artist - can do," whereas my reaction to the wordy early volumes was more "Huh, so, it's a bunch of short-form comics."

Volume 1 also had a distinct theme, something I haven't noticed in the previous volumes, in that most of the stories actually have to do with flight of one form or another. My favorites were "I Wish...," by Vera Brosgol, which despite all my earlier bitching was actually fairly wordy but whose topic will I think strike a chord with anyone who ever wished they could fly; "The Bowl," by Clio Chang, which was wordless and somber and will make me think twice about my next visit to a natural history museum; and "Deep Blue" by Phil Craven, which involved penguins and just made me giggle.
3 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: I think the Flight anthologies will appeal to comics aficionados and newbies both, as a means of sampling a variety of artists and styles, and for the gorgeous production and lovely artwork, as well as the stories. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Oct 27, 2011 |
I love storytelling through graphic art and was fairly excited to dive into this compilation of up-and-coming artists. Like other readers, I found the volume to be a mixed bag. I loved the theme "flight" and enjoyed the creative manner in which some of the artists worked with it. However, I found one nagging problem with most of the stories - lack of narrative development. Of the 24 stories, I felt that two (Jake Parker's "Hugo Earheart" and "The Bowl" by Clio Chiang) stood head and shoulders above the rest, succeeding both in narrative and in art work. There were a few - particularly Jen Wang's "Paper and String;" Jacob Magraw-Mickelson's "Dummy Brother;" and Chris Applehan's untitled - that I really enjoyed for the impressive artwork but not so much the stories. "Taj Majal" by Neil Babra; Enrico Casarosa's "Air and Water;" and Bengal's "Formidable" seem like a works-in-progress and left me wanting more. Catia Chien's two submissions, "Fall" and "Tumbleweed" are beautifully rendered vignettes. I was suprised by how much I liked both "Outside My Window" and "Beneath the Leaves: Jump" by Khang Le and Rad Sechrist, respectively; I give the stories props for being sorta cutesy but still managing to win me over. And I give special mention to Joel Carroll's "Wing" because it reminded me in a good way of the original (dialogue-less) Aeon Flux - before they ruined it with words. That's slightly over half that interested me in one way or another, which is not to say that the others were bad, but they didn't impress me in any sort of way. As a final note, I will add that Scott McCloud's afterword is pretty lame, though I get what he was trying to do - lauding the new generation for their innovative ways of coming together, using new mediums to work with old mediums, gender balance, and diversity. I'm glad I picked it up, but I would probably be hard pressed to peruse subsequent volumes unless one just happened to come my way. I think fans of sequential art will appreciate it more overall than people who don't consider comics legitimate artistry for adults. ( )
  mpho3 | Mar 1, 2011 |
A flip through the book reveals a wide variety of approaches, topics, and styles. Especially notable is the use of color, with subtle effects and impressive skill on display.

Kibuishi, KazuEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JakeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sechrist, RadContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soo, KeanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345496361, Comic)

Originally published by Image Comics in 2004, Flight, Volume One launched this graphic novel series with a resounding bang. Since then the Flight series has steadily increased in popularity–and now all of the Flight backlist will be coming to Villard!

Flight, Volume One received a great boost when graphic novel hero Scott McCloud praised the quality and artistry of the book in an afterward entitled THE YEAR COMICS TOOK FLIGHT. Little could readers know at the time how prophetic McCloud’s words would prove to be.

“Regardless of where it’s shelved, this book belongs in every library.” — Library Journal on Flight, Volume One

Authors included in Flight, Volume One are: Bengal, Bill Mudron, Catia Chien, Chris Appelhans, Clio Chiang, Derek Kirk Kim, Dylan Meconis, Enrico Casarosa, Erika Moen, Hope Larson, Jacob Magraw-Mickelson, Jake Parker, Jen Wang, Joel Carroll, Kazu Kibuishi, Khang Le, Neil Babra, Philip Craven, Rad Sechrist, and Vera Brosgol.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:47 -0400)

An anthology of graphic shorts by a variety of international artists.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible