dismiss

The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury

The Golden Apples of the Sun (edition 1967)

by Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury is a modern cultural treasure. His disarming simplicity of style underlies a towering body of work unmatched in metaphorical power by any other American storyteller. And here are thirty-two of his most famous tales-prime examples of the poignant and mysterious poetry that Bradbury uniquely uncovers in the depths of the human soul, the otherwordly portraits that spring from the canvas of one of the century's great men of imagination. From a lonely coastal lighthouse to a sixty-million-year-old safari, from the pouring rain of Venus to the ominous silence of a murder scene, Ray Bradbury is our sure-handed guide not only to surprising and outrageous manifestations of the future but also to the wonders of the present that we could never have imagined on our own.Track List for The Golden Apples of the Sun: Disc 1"The Fog Horn"-Track 1"The April Witch"-Track 8"The Wilderness"-Track 16"The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl"-Track 23Disc 2"The Flying Machine"-Track 6"The Murderer"-Track 10"The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind"-Track 17"I See You Never"-Track 21"Embroidery"-Track 24Disc 3"The Big Black and White Game"-Track 1"The Great Wide World Over There"-Track 9"Powerhouse"-Track 18Disc 4"En La Noche"-Track 1"Sun and Shadow"-Track 4"The Meadow"-Track 10"The Garbage Collector"-Track 22Disc 5"The Great Fire"-Track 1"The Golden Apples of the Sun"-Track 6"R Is for Rocket"-Track 12"The End of the Beginning"-Track 24Disc 6"The Rocket"-Track 1"The Rocket Man"-Track 9"A Sound of Thunder"-Track 18Disc 7"The Long Rain"-Track 3"The Exiles"-Track 13"Here There Be Tygers"-Track 24Disc 8"The Strawberry Window"-Track 10"The Dragon"-Track 18"Frost and Fire"-Track 20Disc 10"Uncle Einar"-Track 7"The Time Machine"-Track 14"The Sound of Summer Running"-Track 21… (more)
Member:beefviper
Title:The Golden Apples of the Sun
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Bantam Books (1967), Unknown Binding, 169 pages

The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury

English (23)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (26)
Bradbury on the sea:

"One day many years ago a man walked along and stood in the sound of the ocean on a cold sunless shore and said "We need a voice to call across the water, to warn ships; I'll make one. I'll make a voice that is like an empty bed beside you all night long, and like an empty house when you open the door, and like the trees in autumn with no leaves. A sound like the birds flying south, crying, and a sound like November wind and the sea on the hard, cold shore. I'll make a sound that's so alone that no one can miss it, that whoever hears it will weep in their souls, and to all who hear it in the distant towns. I'll make me a sound and an apparatus and they'll call it a Fog Horn and whoever hears it will know the sadness of eternity and the briefness of life."

And although he writes of a beast of a hundred miles and a million years below who comes to the horn, to love it, I recalled it as I grew older as a whale and with this one story as child I was able to be horrified by the terrible, terrible things we do to the sea and its inhabitants. Does that matter? I think so. If everybody in the world had read this story as a child, we'd treat those things with the care and respect they deserve.

I cannot begin to say how wrong the people are who think that Ray Bradbury doesn't count, that he is for some period where we believed in things that we don't any more. He makes things important without proseltysing. It was a story about something that can't even exist and yet!

Bradbury explained his influence on kids like me thus:

Do you know why teachers use me? Because I speak in tongues. I write metaphors. Every one of my stories is a metaphor you can remember. The great religions are all metaphor. We appreciate things like Daniel and the lion’s den, and the Tower of Babel. People remember these metaphors because they are so vivid you can’t get free of them and that’s what kids like in school. They read about rocket ships and encounters in space, tales of dinosaurs. All my life I’ve been running through the fields and picking up bright objects. I turn one over and say, Yeah, there’s a story. And that’s what kids like. Today, my stories are in a thousand anthologies. And I’m in good company. The other writers are quite often dead people who wrote in metaphors: Edgar Allan Poe, Herman Melville, Washington Irving, Nathaniel Hawthorne. All these people wrote for children. They may have pretended not to, but they did.

Sorry. I want to say how amazing he is, again! He IS!!! ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Golden Apples of the Sun collects several early Ray Bradbury stories into one volume. It is a delight to read. I had first read it in the early 1970's as a sort of escape from the heavier reading of my college coursework and decided recently to give it another read since so much time had passed since my first reading of it. I was surprised to see that at least two of the stories had been so powerful that I recalled them well even across all those years.
Before reading Bradbury in the 70's, I was a sort of literary snob about only spending time reading the classics and other high quality work. To me, Science Fiction did not fit that criteria, being escapist reading at best. But my exposure to Bradbury changed that juvenile perception and judgment and opened up an entirely new area of writing to read, enjoy and even learn from. From this experience, I think I largely overcame my snob's approach to reading and learned that the real definition of a good book is that it is one that keeps the reader engaged, makes him want to see what the next word is, what the next chapter holds and where the story leads. It is a book that causes the reader to sigh when the last page is read, opening the hope that the next book will be just as good.
FromThe Golden Apples, Bradbury went on to write many wonderful books and his influence went on to open me to works that would have escaped m notice had I not started with the best. ( )
  Paul-the-well-read | Apr 18, 2020 |
I have always thought of Ray Bradbury of a science fiction author, but based on this collection I have been thinking of him much too narrowly. Some of the stories are fantasy, some horror, some straight fiction, some in fact sci-fi.

One story that stood out is "The Murderer", because it was science fiction in 1953, when the collection was published, but would seem to have much more resonance now. ( )
  NinieB | Dec 5, 2019 |
22 enjoyable stories in Bradbury's wistful and nostalgic style--some science fiction, some fantasy, some just plain fiction. The most famous is probably "A Sound of Thunder," in which a hunter travels back time to shoot dinosaur and makes a critical error. I especially got a kick out of "The Murderer," which is about a man who has declared war on nuisance technology. (I often feel like doing that myself.) This story was written sixty years ago; I wonder how the character would have reacted to twits and tweets and mobile phones. All worth a read. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Contains some great Bradbury stories including one of my favorites, "The Fog Horn," which often gets adapted as a giant monster story. There's a soul to the story that often gets lost in the adaptations. The wonderful "The April Witch" is included as well. All-in-all, a good mix of Bradbury tales. ( )
  SidWilliams | Sep 24, 2018 |

Mugnaini, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.
- W. B. Yeats
And this one, with love, is for Neva,
daughter of Glinda
the Good Witch of the South
Out there in the cold water, far from land, we waited every night for the coming of the fog, and it came, and we oiled the brass machinery and lit the fog light up in the stone tower. ("The fog horn")
To enter out into that silence that was the city at eight o'clock of a misty evening in November, to put your feet upon that buckling concrete walk, to step over grassy seams and make your way, hands in pockets, through the silences, that was what Mr. Leonard Mead most dearly loved to do. ("The pedestrian")
Into the air, over the valleys, under the stars, above a river, a pond, a road, flew Cecy. ("The April witch")
"Oh, the Good Time has come at last -" ("The wilderness")
William Acton rose to his feet. ("The fruit at the bottom of the bowl")
"Oh, the sea's full." McDunn puffed his pipe nervously, blinking. He had been nervous all day and hadn't said why. "For all our engines and so-called submarines, it'll be ten thousand centuries before we set foot on the real bottom of the sunken lands, in the fairy kingdoms there, and know real terror. Think of it, it's still the year 300,000 Before Christ down under there. While we've paraded around with trumpets, lopping off each other's countries and heads, they have been living beneath the sea twelve miles deep and cold in a time as old as the beard of a comet."
I saw it all, I knew it all - the million years of waiting alone, for someone to come back who never came back. The million years of isolation at the bottom of the sea, the insanity of time there, while the skies cleared of reptile-birds, the swamps dried on the continental lands, the sloths and saber-tooths had their day and sank in tar pits, and men ran like white ants upon the hills.
"That's life for you," said McDunn. "Someone always waiting for someone who never comes home. Always someone loving some thing more than that thing loves them. And after a while you want to destroy whatever that thing is, so it can't hurt you no more."
TIME SAFARI, INC.
SAFARIS TO ANY YEAR IN THE PAST.
YOU NAME THE ANIMAL.
WE TAKE YOU THERE.
YOU SHOOT IT.

This short story collection contains: "The Fog Horn", "The Pedestrian", "The April Witch", "The Wilderness", "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl", "Invisible Boy", "The Flying Machine", "The Murderer", "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind", "I See You Never", "Embroidery", "The Big Black and White Game", "A Sound of Thunder", "The Great Wide World Over There", "Powerhouse", "En la Noche", "Sun and Shadow", "The Meadow", "The Garbage Collector", "The Great Fire", "Hail and Farewell", and "The Golden Apples of the Sun".

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,861,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible