The golden apples of the sun by Ray Bradbury

The golden apples of the sun (edition 1966)

by Ray Bradbury

Member:jburlinson
Title:The golden apples of the sun
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Rupert Hart-Davis (1966), 192 pages
Tags:Short stories Best of breed, Sci-fi

The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury

English (19)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
Table of Contents (1953 edition)
(1952) The Fog Horn
(1949) The Great Fire
(1953) Hail and Farewell
(1953) The Golden Apples of the Sun
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
When this collection of Bradbury's was first published in early 1953 it was made up almost entirely of recent short stories. Later collections recycled material from this collection as well as including older stories not previously collected. Most of these stories had appeared in recent major magazines of the era. Since I have recently read several of these stories such as "The Fog Horn," "The Pedestrian," and "A Sound of Thunder," the impact that this collection may have had on me as a fresh read was a little lessened I think. Nevertheless, this is very good storytelling by Bradbury at his peak. There are a couple weaker stories for my tastes, but overall this is one of Bradbury's best collections. There is a little bit of everything in here; a "Green Town" story that was later collected in "Summer Morning, Summer Night," as well as a story "The Wilderness" that was incorporated into the Martian Chronicles.

There is a 2014 book that includes a number of stories in addition to the original 22 stories from the original edition. (It looks like Golden Apples merged with R is for Rocket) My edition is the 1970 Bantam paperback. It has a nice pen and ink illusration for each story. The artist isn't identified, but it looks like the work of Joe Mugnaini who has illustarted other Bradbury books. I enjoyed looking at the illustrations both before and after the story to see what the artist was capturing.

A few comments. "The Fog Horn" is wonderful classic Bradbury. "The April Witch" came close to crossing the line of the creepy factor when a 19 year old girl is possessed by the spirit of another girl and does things she wouldn't otherwise have done. "The Wilderness" is a strange piece of the Martian Chronicles. The future equivalent of mail order brides to Mars. "Mars Needs Women!" Actually it is more than that. While reading it I was also struck by the thought, not for the first time, that some of Bradbury's stories might work best when read aloud, somewhat slowly. So, much of this story I read slowly, mouthing pssages as if I was reading it aloud in my head, and it gave me a very different feeling of the writing here ... a good feeling.

There were a couple oddball stories in here that I wasn't wild about, like "The Fruit At the Bottom of the Bowl" where a man goes looney tunes after murdering the man who is going to run off with his wife, and the odd "Invisible Boy." Both are mainstream stories, nothing fantasy or otherwise in them although "Invisible Boy" pretends there is magic. "The Murderer" is a rather smart prediction and observation on society's cell-phone mania (although in this case the phones are all on wrist-radios). In the story the everywhere people on their phones and piped in music drives a man to begin "murdering" the devices.

Bradbury shows what a master of the short form he can be with a story like "Embroidery." Three pages long, simple idea, and very powerful. Three women are on a porch working on their embroidery and talking and we see, waiting for 5 O'clock ... the reader listens and waits with them.

"A Sound of Thunder" is a classic tale that inspired the phrase "The Butterfly Effect."

Unfortunately there were several stories in the collection I disliked or didn't care for or quite understand what Bradbury was going for. It marred the shine of the stronger stories. Overall the collection was worth reading.

The included stories of the original collection are:

• The Fog Horn • (1951) • shortstory by Ray Bradbury
• The Meadow • (1953) • shortstory by Ray Bradbury
• The Garbage Collector • (1953) • shortstory by Ray Bradbury
• The Great Fire • (1949) • shortstory by Ray Bradbury
• Hail and Farewell • (1953) • shortstory by Ray Bradbury
• The Golden Apples of the Sun • (1953) • shortstory by Ray Bradbury ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 27, 2015 |
I started reading this book almost a year ago, picking it up now and again, reading a story or two, moving on to something else then coming back again weeks or months later until finally I was compelled to keep reading until it was finished. Not just to have it finished, mind you, but because the stories are incredible and draw you in.

Ray Bradbury is definitely a masterful storyteller. He has the soul of a poet. He creates beautiful images with the words he deftly weaves, spinning together worlds beyond imagination where what would typically be mundane and commonplace become fantastical and full of wonder; a pair of new tennis shoes in "The Sound of Summer Running" becomes the vehicle in which a young boy explores a boundless world.

"Frost and Fire", a story I'd never encountered before and now has to be one of my favorite Bradbury tales, tells of a world where the human life span is a mere 8 days long and of one man's struggle to break free from these constraints.

"A Sound of Thunder", which in later printings became the title for this collection, is a story of the dangers of time travel and what terrible consequences can result from careless and reckless behavior. Another of my favorites is "R is for Rocket", about two young boys, their hope-filled youth and their dreams to become rocketmen.

Some of the stories aren't as impressive as others, but Bradbury never disappoints and even at his worst his tales are beautifully crafted and presented. If you've never read Bradbury before (aside from Fahrenheit 451, which everyone had to read in school, I believe), this book is a great place to start. Well, right after The Martian Chronicles, maybe. ( )
  zenslave | Jan 26, 2015 |
pertenceu ao pai do Paulo ( )
  paulo.bilyk | May 26, 2014 |
Not all of the stories in this collection of Bradbury's short fiction are great, or even that memorable, but one or two of them will stick with me -- I particularly enjoyed 'Embroidery', which was well-structured and had a lovely final paragraph. Perfect, even, almost.

Even if a few of them didn't really get to me, it's worth noting that I received it in the mail just today, and I read it in two sittings. I've been rather wrapped up in video games lately (hey, I just got the news that I got a first for my degree, I deserve the time off! Though this book was actually a gift from a friend in celebration of exactly that) but this pulled me right out of them and kept me turning pages. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
豊樹, 小笠原Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, Joseph A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.
- W. B. Yeats
And this one, with love, is for Neva,
daughter of Glinda
the Good Witch of the South
Out there in the cold water, far from land, we waited every night for the coming of the fog, and it came, and we oiled the brass machinery and lit the fog light up in the stone tower. ("The fog horn")
To enter out into that silence that was the city at eight o'clock of a misty evening in November, to put your feet upon that buckling concrete walk, to step over grassy seams and make your way, hands in pockets, through the silences, that was what Mr. Leonard Mead most dearly loved to do. ("The pedestrian")
Into the air, over the valleys, under the stars, above a river, a pond, a road, flew Cecy. ("The April witch")
"Oh, the Good Time has come at last -" ("The wilderness")
William Acton rose to his feet. ("The fruit at the bottom of the bowl")
"Oh, the sea's full." McDunn puffed his pipe nervously, blinking. He had been nervous all day and hadn't said why. "For all our engines and so-called submarines, it'll be ten thousand centuries before we set foot on the real bottom of the sunken lands, in the fairy kingdoms there, and know real terror. Think of it, it's still the year 300,000 Before Christ down under there. While we've paraded around with trumpets, lopping off each other's countries and heads, they have been living beneath the sea twelve miles deep and cold in a time as old as the beard of a comet."
I saw it all, I knew it all - the million years of waiting alone, for someone to come back who never came back. The million years of isolation at the bottom of the sea, the insanity of time there, while the skies cleared of reptile-birds, the swamps dried on the continental lands, the sloths and saber-tooths had their day and sank in tar pits, and men ran like white ants upon the hills.
"That's life for you," said McDunn. "Someone always waiting for someone who never comes home. Always someone loving some thing more than that thing loves them. And after a while you want to destroy whatever that thing is, so it can't hurt you no more."
TIME SAFARI, INC.
SAFARIS TO ANY YEAR IN THE PAST.
YOU NAME THE ANIMAL.
WE TAKE YOU THERE.
YOU SHOOT IT.
This short story collection contains: "The Fog Horn", "The Pedestrian", "The April Witch", "The Wilderness", "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl", "Invisible Boy", "The Flying Machine", "The Murderer", "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind", "I See You Never", "Embroidery", "The Big Black and White Game", "A Sound of Thunder", "The Great Wide World Over There", "Powerhouse", "En la Noche", "Sun and Shadow", "The Meadow", "The Garbage Collector", "The Great Fire", "Hail and Farewell", and "The Golden Apples of the Sun".

Ray Bradbury is a modern cultural treasure. His disarming simplicity of style underlies a towering body of work unmatched in metaphorical power by any other American storyteller. And here, presented in a new trade edition, are thirty-two of his most famous tales--prime examples of the poignant and mysterious poetry which Bradbury uniquely uncovers in the depths of the human soul, the otherwordly portraits of outrÉ fascination which spring from the canvas of one of the century's great men of imagination. From a lonely coastal lighthouse to a sixty-million-year-old safary, from the pouring rain of Venus to the ominous silence of a murder scene, Ray Bradbury is our sure-handed guide not only to surprising and outrageous manifestations of the future, but also to the wonders of the present that we could never have imagined on our own.Ray Bradbury is a modern cultural treasure. His disarming simplicity of style underlies a towering body of work unmatched in metaphorical power by any other American storyteller. And here, presented in a new trade edition, are thirty-two of his most famous tales--prime examples of the poignant and mysterious poetry which Bradbury uniquely uncovers in the depths of the human soul, the otherwordly portraits of outre fascination which spring from the canvas of one of the centurys great men of imagination. From a lonely coastal lighthouse to a sixty-million-year-old safari, from the pouring rain of Venus to the ominous silence of a murder scene, Ray Bradbury is our sure-handed guide not only to surprising and outrageous manifestations of the future, but also to the wonders of the present that we could never have imagined on our own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

A collection of thiry-two short stories by Ray Bradbury that explore the endless possibilities of what may happen in the present and in the future.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,857,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible