Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story by…

Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story

by John Feinstein

This book had me laughing and crying. It was a very emotional book revolving around the horrendous disease of ALS that tragically took the life of Bruce Edwards, long-time caddy and lifelong friend of Tom Watson. From the sports aspect of it, the book was great. I love golf, and Tom Watson just so happens to be one of my favorite golfers of all-time. John Feinstein, the author, does a great job of recanting the career of Tom Watson, and wonderfully describes the working relationship between Bruce and Tom on the course, and their incredible friendship off the course. I really loved the details of the major championships that Tom Watson won, and how Bruce was right there for most of them. Then the sad part. Bruce Edwards was diagnosed with ALS and before the world knew it, he was gone. There were times when I was reading the book that I had to put the book down because I was crying so hard. Regardless of that, the book was well written, and it serves as a great tool to keep Bruce Edwards' memory alive. ( )
  chris.coelho | Sep 23, 2011 |
I don't golf and didn't know that professional golfers had professional caddies. Bruce Edwards was Tom Watson's caddy for 30 years and well liked by players and fellow caddies.

If you follow golf, this might be a book you'd keep on your shelf. If you don't follow golf, you might like reading about how Bruce Edwards helped to build his profession and lived his life with ALS while still helping Tom Watson win. ( )
  Jay_Huhman | Feb 20, 2010 |
John Feinstein gives an inside the ropes look at a job that is not well known to those not fans a golf. We see the dedication of Bruce Edwards long time caddy for Tom Watson. The caddy is truly more than just a guy who carries the clubs. We see that the golfer needs a caddy and a good caddy is hard to find. ( )
  foof2you | Aug 17, 2008 |
I remember when Edwards was all over the news. Edwards was a caddy for Tom Watson for a number of years. They were like brothers. Edwards contracted Lou Gehrig's Disease and this is the story leading up to his eventual demise. It is a tear jerker at the end. Edwards was such an inspiration. ( )
  dickcraig | Nov 29, 2007 |

Beyond golf's polished surface there lies a world not often seen by the average fan. The caddy sees everything - the ambition, the strategy, the rivalries, the jealousies - that occurs behind the scenes. Award-winning John Feinstein, America's favourite sportswriter, got one of golf's legendary caddies to reveal the secrets behind the most popular sport of our time. Bruce Edwards was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease in January 2003, a progressive disease that attacks nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord, but he dominated coverage of the 2003 US Open. This is a position not usually bestowed on a caddy, but Edwards was no ordinary caddy. In 1973, after forgoing college, Edwards walked on the course behind a young Tom Watson and never looked back. Watson would go on to win eight major titles with Bruce Edwards by his side. Edwards continued to do the job he had dedicated more than half his life to right up to his death in April 2004, aged 49. This is a moving, dramatic and thoughtful book about a life devoted to sports.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:03 -0400)

Provides an inspirational portrait of legendary golf caddy Bruce Edwards, who has been a caddy for Tom Watson since 1973, as he continues the job he loves despite the growing physical limitations of Lou Gehrig's disease.

57 avail.1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible