Where Do We Go?: The Good Grief Book by…

Where Do We Go?: The Good Grief Book

by James F. Weinsier

2008 (1) 2011 (1) Bibliotherpy (1) death (1) Four Seasons (1) help (1) Plot (1) rtb (1) youth (1)

This book is great for any child and those who have questions about death. It gives in detail what it would be like and also use their imagination on what heaven would look like.
  MadelineLuna | Mar 19, 2016 |
After the death of family, friend or even a pet, most kids have questions, they just might not know how to ask them. This book asks those questions about where they go, what it is like for them, the weather, smells, holidays, games, colors, magic or if those of us left on earth can feel or see what they are doing. There is no answer for each of these questions, but the overall, simple answer is “in the hearts of all those who love you”.

After a recent death in my own family, my kids started asking some of these questions again. While they are a bit older than the age group that this book is intended for (I would estimate as young as the 4-8 age group), the same concerns are there at all ages though. The words were in a sing song rhythm of poetry that can make it almost fun for children to explore the different options and questions they have. The curlicue font was not as easy to read as it is pretty to look at but the illustrations (by Cliff Beaman) are fabulous in a way that almost tells the story and asks the questions without the words. Since the book doesn’t give an answer (probably for the best since that allows people to input their own beliefs), this is the perfect book to help allow kids to open up and start that discussion that they might not even know they wanted to have. Simple ending with a simple concept and a great conversation with the kids that have experienced loss. ( )
  onyx95 | Aug 14, 2011 |
“Where Do We Go” by James F. Weinsier is a wonderfully written book for children dealing with the uncertainty of death in a positive way. Death is a hard subject to address, especially so with children. Mr. Weinsier delicately touches on the subject in a way that children can relate to. His explanation is easy to understand and not intimidating or frightening. He is able to answer the question of where we go when we die in a creative and reassuring approach; the illustrations aid to this in their vibrant, child friendly way.

I am pleased to see that someone was able to address such a fragile subject that is often avoided until it’s necessary to discuss due to a tragic situation. I appreciate that Mr. Weinsier kept the tone light and positive. Death is a scary concept for children and I feel like some books may even complicate the topic. I’d also like to stress that this book does not target religion. Anyone of any culture or belief can read this book without feeling like a certain idea is being presented.

I think that this book is great for children of all ages. In fact, after reading this book with my children, it lightens my mood. My favorite part of the story is the last sentence. It just puts life and death into perspective in a loving, encouraging way.

While unfortunate, this book came to my family at a time of need. We received this book just a day after a young family member passed unexpectedly. I was able to read this story to my children and asked if they had any questions. While they didn’t have anything specific on their minds, they did ponder some of the possibilities presented within the book. I really felt like this book was helpful and it was enjoyed by my 8 and 10 year olds.

Thank you for answering the age old question in such an optimistic fashion. I look forward to reading more from Mr. Weinsier. His honesty and kindness shine through in his books. Take the time to read this one. You won’t be disappointed. ( )
  KaelebsMomma | Apr 17, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061523805X, Paperback)

Where Do We Go?: The Good Grief Book - The death of a loved one is difficult enough for an adult to understand and cope with; imagine how much more difficult it is for a child! Where Do We Go? delicately explores the theme of death in a child-friendly fashion with reassuring, thought-provoking text and cheerful illustrations. With compassion and sensitivity, James F. Weinsier addresses the age-old, complex question: Where do we go when we die? In the words of Laura Duksta, author of the New York Times bestseller I Love You More, Where Do We Go? Brings joy, play and ease to what is often an awkward conversation. Its message is a precious tool that will open the hearts and imagination of its readers to a greater awareness of love, life and beyond! Where Do We Go? The Good Grief Book is as helpful to children as it is to the adults challenged with the bewildering task of discussing death with them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,323,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible