ER Vets: Life in an Animal Emergency Room by…

ER Vets: Life in an Animal Emergency Room

by Donna M. Jackson

I think children in upper elementary school would find this book interesting. It could be part of a career exploration lesson, or part of a classroom library. It is a book that students would appreciate.
  charlottestudent | Jun 8, 2014 |
This book begins with the question “What is an animal emergency room?” and then takes the reader through life in an animal ER. Readers learn about triage, the types of doctors in an animal ER, how to tell if your pet needs emergency care, and the history of veterinary practices. Next come the profiles and case studies of veterinarians and a few of the animals they have helped.
  AshleyWheeler | May 29, 2013 |
Pet lovers will enjoy this real life look into the daily world of veterinarians.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 30, 2013 |
ER Vets by Donna Jackson is a short nonfiction book about what goes on inside of an emergency room in a veterinary clinic. It gives you pictures, procedures, facts about animals’ health, and personal stories. The stories and pictures are real, which allows for the reader to get first-hand accounts of things that can harm your animals.

I would teach this book in my classroom for two reasons. It is both informative and a work of nonfiction. The first, informative, is always a great way to teach a student something that they may need to know at some point in their lives, so it is relevant to them. Also, being a nonfiction book, this is a fun way to get the students to read nonfiction that they do not see as boring or uninteresting.

I liked this book. I learned a lot from it, especially what I needed to keep my dog away from, such as chocolate, and why they needed to be kept away from it. The cover draws you in and the pictures keep you reading. This book is not one that I would teach to younger children simply because of the procedural pictures and large words. However, this book is great for older individuals and young adults. Overall, I would recommend that most anyone read this book if they are curious about the material. ( )
1 vote BrittanyYoung | Apr 20, 2011 |
"ER Vets" is a non-fiction book that gives insight into the life of an emergency veterinarian. This book gives intimate details and relevant knowledge about animals as well as the veterinarians that take care of them. It offers pictures and detailed descriptions of specific animals and their emergency cases. It also tells of different doctors who are emergency veterinarians. It says why they decided to be veterinarians and what they find most rewarding about it. It gives good informational insight to different kinds of veterinarians, different animal diseases, how to take care of pets, and how to notice if something is wrong with a pet.

This book would be great to use in the classroom on a career day. Students can read this book if they are interested in being veterinarians. It has good introductory knowledge and will introduce them to the language used in an animal hospital. It is also a good oppurtunity for other students, who may not want to be veterinarians, just to read and gain knowledge of animals and extend their vocabulary. There are many instances in this book where advanced language is used and students may not know what they mean. But, the book describes these difficult words with examples so students can understand.

I loved this book. I learned a lot from reading it. Since I have always had a deep love of animals, this is the exact kind of book that would draw my attention. I believe it would interest many students who had pets or liked animals at all. I think it would be very good for students to read this book who were considering being a veterinarian. ( )
1 vote WhitneyD | Apr 12, 2011 |
To All who devote their lives to the well-being of animals
A German shepherd...retreating to a corner...struggling to vomit...panting with pain.

- Orbis Pictus Honor Book
- ASPCA Henry Bergh Children's Book Award Honor Winner
- 2007 AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prize finalist

With dramatic full-color photos throughout, award-winning author Donna Jackson brings to life the inner workings of an animal emergency room, profiling the important work ER veterinarians do behind closed doors. Animals survive traumas with the help of high-tech X-rays, ventilators, endoscopes, and more importantly, the expert care of veterinarians and veterinary nurses who love animals, science, and a daily dose of adrenaline!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:49 -0400)

Witness the excitement and drama of life in an animal emergency room as the ER vets work to heal the creatures we consider part of our families.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible