ER Vets: Life in an Animal Emergency Room by…

ER Vets: Life in an Animal Emergency Room

by Donna M. Jackson

"ER Vets" is a great book for students who might be interested in pursuing a veterinary career. This book hits on many important aspects of the field while defining important terms and using great images that really give the reader a feel for life in a vet clinic. ER Vets covers topics such as the history of humans and pets, losing a pet, and treatment of exotics. It additionally gives great real-life case studies involving a horse and a snake. Throughout the book important terms, abbreviations, and lingo are defined and an extensive glossary is included in the back. The author includes really great photographs and x-rays that show the reader great examples of the type of things that occur in a veterinary setting and some of the things vets tackle on a daily basis. Working in a vet clinic is not pretty and there are lots of unexpected parts of the job and this book does a good job of illustrating some of these aspects without showing too much that might prove shocking for some readers.

I would definitely consider giving this book to students who express interest in the veterinary field. It is not an easy field to pursue and this would give them the basis for what to expect working in vet clinic.
  HadleyAdkins | Apr 30, 2015 |
I think children in upper elementary school would find this book interesting. It could be part of a career exploration lesson, or part of a classroom library. It is a book that students would appreciate.
  charlottestudent | Jun 8, 2014 |
This book begins with the question “What is an animal emergency room?” and then takes the reader through life in an animal ER. Readers learn about triage, the types of doctors in an animal ER, how to tell if your pet needs emergency care, and the history of veterinary practices. Next come the profiles and case studies of veterinarians and a few of the animals they have helped.
  AshleyWheeler | May 29, 2013 |
Pet lovers will enjoy this real life look into the daily world of veterinarians.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 30, 2013 |
ER Vets by Donna Jackson is a short nonfiction book about what goes on inside of an emergency room in a veterinary clinic. It gives you pictures, procedures, facts about animals’ health, and personal stories. The stories and pictures are real, which allows for the reader to get first-hand accounts of things that can harm your animals.

I would teach this book in my classroom for two reasons. It is both informative and a work of nonfiction. The first, informative, is always a great way to teach a student something that they may need to know at some point in their lives, so it is relevant to them. Also, being a nonfiction book, this is a fun way to get the students to read nonfiction that they do not see as boring or uninteresting.

I liked this book. I learned a lot from it, especially what I needed to keep my dog away from, such as chocolate, and why they needed to be kept away from it. The cover draws you in and the pictures keep you reading. This book is not one that I would teach to younger children simply because of the procedural pictures and large words. However, this book is great for older individuals and young adults. Overall, I would recommend that most anyone read this book if they are curious about the material. ( )
1 vote BrittanyYoung | Apr 20, 2011 |
To All who devote their lives to the well-being of animals
A German shepherd...retreating to a corner...struggling to vomit...panting with pain.

- Orbis Pictus Honor Book
- ASPCA Henry Bergh Children's Book Award Honor Winner
- 2007 AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prize finalist

With dramatic full-color photos throughout, award-winning author Donna Jackson brings to life the inner workings of an animal emergency room, profiling the important work ER veterinarians do behind closed doors. Animals survive traumas with the help of high-tech X-rays, ventilators, endoscopes, and more importantly, the expert care of veterinarians and veterinary nurses who love animals, science, and a daily dose of adrenaline!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:57 -0400)

Witness the excitement and drama of life in an animal emergency room as the ER vets work to heal the creatures we consider part of our families.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible