A Snowflake in My Hand by Samantha Mooney

A Snowflake in My Hand

by Samantha Mooney

A book for cat lovers.

I enjoyed this book, a memoir by a veterinary nurse who was working in the oncology section of New York City's Animal Medical Center. She obviously has a passion for cats; she seems to love those in the treatment centre as much as her growing population at home.
Sometimes I thought she seemed to relate to cats better than people and the sorrow at the loss of a couple of her most loved patients was possibly even greater than at the death of her father.

The book was published in 1983, so I'd expect that some of the treatments are now dated. Similarly, I wonder if cats would be allowed to wander around the facility with such ease, particularly Clancy, who had left his own household of cats because he might pass on his form of feline leukemia. In spite of being potentially contagious, he was given free reign of the offices and waiting area.
I was also most surprised to find that Ms Mooney took certain cats (never her own) on holiday with her. When we moved house our cats were petrified for days, I cannot imagine a 'holiday' being a pleasant experience for them.

There were quite a few cats throughout the book and I struggled to remember all their names and ailments, but they were all adorable and it was so sad when any of them died. There was an overall positive feel however, as the doctors and staff lovingly treated each animal, hoping to increase its life span and quality of life.

This is definitely a book for cat lovers, and if that's you, then snap this one up. ( )
  DubaiReader | Sep 4, 2015 |
A brief book on life, death and the steps in between. It goes beyond being an animal story, covering the universal topics of death, the brevity of life. However brief, each life is precious and the connections we make last beyond time. The author's description of how life and death decisions are handled in a animal cancer ward are realistic and poignant. Loving a pet almost always means you will have to face losing one and this book has a good handle on how to gracefully and with kindness let them go ( )
1 vote Western9 | Jan 4, 2011 |

A miracle of a book--a joyous celebration of the unspoken but deeply felt bond between animals and people and, in Roger Caras's words, "a celebration of life in the face of death".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

'A Snowflake in My Hand' is Samantha Mooney's heartwarming account of the many years she spent working at New York City's famous Animal Centre. In this unforgettable story, Samantha recalls the work of a dedicated team of professionals who, faced with tragic cases of abandonment and often incurable illness among the animals they cared for, somehow.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,790,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible